What percentage for cutting?

nyla2120
nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
How should I set up my goals on here if I want to cut/lean out? I know my protein should be highest, but not sure what I should put my fat & carb intake to. If it helps I'm 5'4 around 128 pounds & I work out lifting heavy & doing cardio 5 days a week. Thanks so much for any advice!

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    30% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    35/30/35 is always a good starting point (fats/carbs/protein). Start there and see how you feel after a month or so. Total cals should probably be around 10-15% below TDEE.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    How should I set up my goals on here if I want to cut/lean out? I know my protein should be highest, but not sure what I should put my fat & carb intake to. If it helps I'm 5'4 around 128 pounds & I work out lifting heavy & doing cardio 5 days a week. Thanks so much for any advice!

go for a cut of 10% of your TDEE, and try 40/30/30 for your macros.
  • nyla2120
    Thank you so much everyone!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    You can calculate grams and back into your %. Aim for 1 gram or protein per pound of LBM, if you don't know your BF% aim for a minimum of 0.8 grams per lb of body weight. Set your Fat to 0.35 grams per lb of body weight and fill the rest of the cals with carbs. Use these targets for fat and protein as minimums and carbs as a maximum.

so assuming you have a diet of 1500 calories, and don't know your BF%, set your:
    Protein to 102 grams (128*0.8) = 408 calories (102*4) = 27.2% round up to 30%
    Fat to 45 grams (128*.35) = 405 calories (45*9) = 27% round down to 25%
    and carbs could be 687calories (1500-408-405) or 172 grams = 46% round down to 45%
    So your macros would be 45C/30P/25F, with the P and F as minimums to reach.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member

And 10% what?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

And 10% what?

The 10% is nothing. That's why it's a cut.
  • faster_than_flash
    faster_than_flash Posts: 114 Member
    Do the ratios matter?

For example what is the difference between:

Protein/Carbs/Fat:
    40/40/20
    40/30/30

(Assuming the 40% is at least 1 gram per LBM)?

Or more simply - what does eating less carbs and more fat do in terms of cutting? I would (blindly) guess that eating less fat would help me cut but I have no reason or logic behind it.
  • nyla2120
    Do the ratios matter?

Protein/Carbs/Fat:
    40/40/20
    40/30/30

Or more simply - what does eating less carbs and more fat do in terms of cutting? I would (blindly) guess that eating less fat would help me cut but I have no reason or logic behind it.

I'm under the assumption that lower carbs , higher fat & protein help cut fat so lean muscle can show. But, I could be wrong. I'm still learning myself.
  • jacksonpt
    Do the ratios matter?

Protein/Carbs/Fat:
    40/40/20
    40/30/30

I'm under the assumption that lower carbs , higher fat & protein help cut fat so lean muscle can show. But, I could be wrong. I'm still learning myself.

That's a fairly common believe, but I wonder if it comes from any actual proof (real world or studies) or just common misconception.

For most people, the keys will be getting enough fat and protein to support muscle, then letting your personal preferences and workout performance dictate the rest.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Do the ratios matter?

Protein/Carbs/Fat:
    40/40/20
    40/30/30

Eating fat doesn't make you fat. Your body needs healthy fats. I'm sure you've heard of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids? These are called "essential" because your body doesn't make it on its own, you have to get it through diet. We typically get plenty of Omega 6 because it is found in things like grains. We typically do not get enough Omega 3.

Many vitamins that the body need are "fat soluble", that means they can't be absorbed by the body without fat. So you can become vitamin deficient even if you eat a lot of vitamin dense foods because your body can't absorb and use it without the fat.

Fats also have a lot to do with our hormonal balances. Hormonal balance is important because it regulates a lot of things in our bodies including fat storage and the releasing of same.

These are just a few reasons why healthy fats are important.
  • PTFighter
    PTFighter Posts: 11
    nutritionists recommends the follow:

Carbs - 45% to 65%
    Protein - 10% to 35%
    Fat - 20% to 35%
    of your total daily calories intake

A balanced diet to help you boost your protein intake is something like this:
    55% of Carbs
    25% protein
    20% of Fat
  • jacksonpt

Carbs - 45% to 65%
    Protein - 10% to 35%
    Fat - 20% to 35%

A balanced diet to help you boost your protein intake is something like this:
    55% of Carbs
    25% protein
    20% of Fat

based on what goals?
  • PTFighter
    she needs carbs for all that cardio
  • jonnythan

Carbs - 45% to 65%
    Protein - 10% to 35%
    Fat - 20% to 35%

Well, ignorant nutritionists recommend that. Of course most "nutritionists" are pretty ignorant since calling yourself a nutritionist requires little to no actual knowledge or training.
  • PTFighter

Carbs - 45% to 65%
    Protein - 10% to 35%
    Fat - 20% to 35%

Well, ignorant nutritionists recommend that. Of course most "nutritionists" are pretty ignorant since calling yourself a nutritionist requires little to no actual knowledge or training.

don't be silly.

In fact this information came from UCSF (University of California, San Francisco)
  • jonnythan

Carbs - 45% to 65%
    Protein - 10% to 35%
    Fat - 20% to 35%

don't be silly.

In fact this information came from UCSF (University of California, San Francisco)

Oh, OK. Any information posted on a university website is automatically correct.

I wonder why UCSF would be talking about what nutritionists believe, especially considering they train and employ dietitians, who actually have significant training.
  • faster_than_flash
    faster_than_flash Posts: 114 Member
    Do the ratios matter?

Protein/Carbs/Fat:
    40/40/20
    40/30/30

Eating fat doesn't make you fat. Your body needs healthy fats. I'm sure you've heard of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids? These are called "essential" because your body doesn't make it on its own, you have to get it through diet. We typically get plenty of Omega 6 because it is found in things like grains. We typically do not get enough Omega 3.

Many vitamins that the body need are "fat soluble", that means they can't be absorbed by the body without fat. So you can become vitamin deficient even if you eat a lot of vitamin dense foods because your body can't absorb and use it without the fat.

Fats also have a lot to do with our hormonal balances. Hormonal balance is important because it regulates a lot of things in our bodies including fat storage and the releasing of same.

Thanks for the reply - makes sense. I can understand that you need some fat. But how much?

My question is - what impact on my body does increasing fat/reducing carbs (or vice versa) have?
  • jonnythan
    Do the ratios matter?

Protein/Carbs/Fat:
    40/40/20
    40/30/30

Thanks for the reply - makes sense. I can understand that you need some fat. But how much?

My question is - what impact on my body does increasing fat/reducing carbs (or vice versa) have?

General recommendation is at least 0.3 grams of fat per pound of bodyweight a day. I see some say 0.35 to 0.4, but I just go with 0.3 and treat it as a minimum.
  • PTFighter

Carbs - 45% to 65%
    Protein - 10% to 35%
    Fat - 20% to 35%

UCSF
    Vanderbilt University
    USDA (US Department of Agriculture)

it's all a plot to conquer the word, get you facts together LOL

don't be silly.

Oh, OK. Any information posted on a university website is automatically correct.

I wonder why UCSF would be talking about what nutritionists believe, especially considering they train and employ dietitians, who actually have significant training.

UCSF, Vanderbilt Univ... etc
    USDA (US Department of Agriculture)

it must be a plot to conquer the world LOL, get your facts together