Cauliflower Recipe-Game Changing

Options
MyChocolateDiet
MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
10 ounce Frozen Bag of Cauliflower
1/4 cup water
salt
pepper

1) stretch the plastic bag the cauliflower is in until a little hole forms. Put fingers in hole and stretch. Keep stretching until the hole is big enough for the cauliflower to fit through.

2) pour all the cauliflower into a large saucepan or sautee pan.

3) add the water

4) cover the pan

5) find the dial on the stove with the numbers on it. Turn it to high. (make sure it's the handle that goes to the burner that the pan is on. this can be checked by looking for a) fire under the pan or b) black spiral under the pan turns red).

6) when a couple minutes have passed open the lid and stir around the cauliflower and water, it might be bubbling. If it is we call that "boiling". Add some salt and pepper to it. If you don't know how much I truly don't know what to tell you. Wait till it's done and add until it tastes good I guess?

7) put the lid back on and lower the fire until the flames are barely touching the pan.

8) cook like this for a few more minutes until a fork goes into the cauliflower easily when you check on it.

If you didn't already season it, season it now. We call this "steamed cauliflower" and people have been enjoying it forever. It has VERY VERY low calories, lower than any cauliflower recipe I've seen here so far, and it's yummy and tastes exactly like cauliflower. It's cheap too. Bon apetit.

Replies

• tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Can I also make this with fresh (not frozen) cauliflower?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Can I also make this with fresh (not frozen) cauliflower?

Yes. But you will have to wash it first. Remove the green leaves and rinse in the sink. If you have that bowl with the feet that has holes in it (colander) put it in there first and run the faucet water over it.

Both are equally healthy supposedly because they are apparently frozen close to picking times. Or so I hear.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    option #2 - take same said bag of frozen cauliflower and open in same manner (or yes, this recipe you can use fresh!) pour contents onto cookie sheet you may have sprayed w/Pam or olive oil or slippy substance of your choice, and place in preheated oven @ about 400 for maybe 15 minutes ish until brown and crispy bits form...season to your liking and nom nom nom
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Really?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Is there a way I could substitute riced cauliflower for the salt? They ARE both white.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Very excited! This might be my new favorite way to eat cauliflower! :bigsmile:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Can I substitute alfredo sauce for the cauliflower?
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Wait...what, I thought I was to not eat any of the "white" foods. :wink:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    O....M....G.....who knew!
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    will the cauliflower make me breakfast the next morning?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If I use cold water will it burn extra calories from the cauliflower, because the water has to heat up to "boil"?
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    will the cauliflower make me breakfast the next morning?

Best question ever ^
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Um, this is boiled cauliflower, not steamed. What are you trying to pull, OP?
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    A few questions, since I don't want to mess this up...

- Does it matter if I use a pan with one long handle or two loopy handles on the side?

- Does it matter if I use the store brand or an expensive brand?

- What can I serve this with?

- How can this be Paleo, vegetarian, AND gluten-free? Come on. What's the trick?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    OP, can i swap out parmesan cheese, butter, garlic, and cream for the cauliflower?
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    OP, can i swap out parmesan cheese, butter, garlic, and cream for the cauliflower?

Can I also swap out rice and potatoes for it as well?
  • adrylong
    adrylong Posts: 29
    Options
    I love Cauliflower!

I use it to make a rice substitute by chopping it up raw, pulsing it in a food processor until it becomes grainy like rice, and then I sautee it with a little olive oil, garlic and salt.

You can also puree it with parsnip for a mashed potato substitute.

I also like roasted cauliflower steaks too.

It's pretty versatile.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Um, this is boiled cauliflower, not steamed. What are you trying to pull, OP?

If I say it's steamed. It's STEAMED. Be supportive!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Can I also swap out rice and potatoes for it as well?

Yes totally. Then you can change the name. It will be life changing.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    A few questions, since I don't want to mess this up...

- Does it matter if I use a pan with one long handle or two loopy handles on the side?

- Does it matter if I use the store brand or an expensive brand?

- What can I serve this with?

- How can this be Paleo, vegetarian, AND gluten-free? Come on. What's the trick?

I don't know? Ask god. or mother nature. or science. i didn't invent the cauliflower. i just cooked it.