injured and need advice

Options
Well I just fractured my ankle last night playing basketball. I am a very active person and I have maintained my 60lb weight loss for over a year now. Kind of scared what is going to happen over the next 6-8 weeks of recovery. Have not seen the Orthopedic Dr. yet just been to Emergency room. I am hoping for a soft cast so maybe I can at least do some swimming in a couple of weeks. Does anyone have some ideas. I have gotten very accustomed to eating 1800 or more calories I was thinking I should drop my calories for the next couple of weeks due to not being as active. Will take any advice...:cry:

Replies

• Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Dropping the calories could be a good idea. I saw a guy at the gym the other day in one of those boots and he was pedaling away on a stationary bike.
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Punching gets the heart rate up. Balance on your good leg if possible or even sit if you have to.
  • Pamm8577
    Pamm8577 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also have a injured ankle doctor put me in a boot, so I haven't thought about doing cardio with it lol.. But hey its worth a try :) Thanks for the tip...
  • beccib2
    beccib2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Shadow boxing whilst sitting down is a great way to get the heart rate up :-)
  • Pamm8577
    Pamm8577 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also am on a weight loss journey and injured my ankle, and has halted my trips to the gym after being dedicated. I am sticking my ankle down in water with ice to reduce inflammation, massaging it constantly, chiropractor, stretches, wearing sturdy braces I also have a Boot doctor wants me to wear, I have torn ligaments, built up scar tissue on arch very painful. I also went swimming the other day, didn't bother it too much. My favorite thing to do is taping it with athletic tape. That really helps. But take 2 aleve,2 tylenol twice a day for a week, that will reduce inflammation quickly. I have to increase my mobility in my ankle, and stick to yoga, stretching, weight lifting, Upper Body Workouts. doctor told me to do the elliptical but it actually aggravated the ankle. Treadmill is the worse. Good Fitting Tennis Shoes is a Must! I reduced my calories to 1200 a day and eating cleaner. Soak Ankle in Magnesium Salt, Just keep doing all of this. I am in the same position as you and its going to be a challenge but I can't give up, I have come to far. Keep us updated on how your doing. They have waterproof cast out now.. hopefully you will get one.. Hope you get well soon.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    When you go see the ortho doc, talk to him/her about what you've been doing and ask what they approve for activities. You may be very limited at first as you want that bone to heal properly but soon enough you could probably do low impact activites like swimming and biking and maybe even the elliptical. In the meantime, focus on upper body and ab work and as others have said, shadow boxing/punches. If you're unfamiliar with the proper moves, look it up on YouTube (I would provide a link for you but I'm at work and it's blocked)
  • gomer509
    gomer509 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Me too! :( I've only been at this a month and was really on a mission with logging tons of walking and hiking for cardio. I fractured my ankle (along with a severe sprain) on Monday. I am still non weight-bearing (on crutches) but get to progress to a walking boot and then to an air-cast hopefully soon. I was already seeing very slow progress and now this. Really makes it challenging, esp. on 1200 calories per day without exercise calories. I doubt that "crutching" or one-legged hopping burns very many cals lol.

My idea (Plan B?) is to concentrate on upper body and core work and floor exercises such as pilates, and to try to be very strict w staying within my calorie limit. I was already making slow progress, only 4 pounds lost in 40 days, but definitely feeling a difference in my fitness level and how my clothes fit. I feel like exercise is key for me and I actually love working out, so this is a major bummer.

I suppose that part of this is learning to maintain the lifestyle thru different circumstances and I keep reminding myself this is temporary. I'm sorry that you also hurt your ankle but thanks for posting, b/c I have sure been wondering how to deal with this while trying to establish exercise habits and lose weight. Good luck and I hope we all heal quickly. Please do be careful..the ortho doc told me a YEAR to heal completely and no longer be susceptible to re-injury.
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    This is why I love MFP. Thank you for all the advice. MY favorite class was kick boxing so I know all the upper body moves. I given myself I brake until I see the Dr., but I have considered going to the gym for some upper body work. I rely a lot on work out classes and playing sports for my exercise so I am going to have to rely more on myself and be bored for awhile. I am very social and enjoy the group exercise. Thank you al again and I will keep you posted.
  • gomer509
    gomer509 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The shadow boxing was a great idea! I found a great video on youtube, which led me to other "chair workouts". Have already done 2. And I really sweated! Thanks so much! Good luck w the ortho doc OP.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There are lots of sitting exercise videos on youtube, most of them designed for seniors but it would still get you some cardio, especially if you added hand weights.