First time 5K tomorrow... have not trained!

Options
I am running a 5K in the morning. I haven't trained at all, in fact I dislike most cardio that isn't 'walking briskly'. I wouldn't say that I am 'out of shape' as much as not in very good shape!
Has anyone else tackled a 5K without any prep?! Did you make it? Did you have to stop and walk?
I do realize this is only like 3 miles and I will totally survive but I want to hear other peoples similar experiences!
WISH ME LUCK! :smile:

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    3.1 miles doesn't sound very long until you actually have to run it.

All I can suggest is that you haven't trained for it be prepared to take regular walking breaks.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    You will stop and walk. Be careful and dont hurt yourself.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options

All I can suggest is that you haven't trained for it be prepared to take regular walking breaks.

Yep. Don't even think for a second you're going to be able to run the whole way. In fact, you'll likely be doing a lot more walking than running.
  • Sprklberie
    Options

Yep. Don't even think for a second you're going to be able to run the whole way. In fact, you'll likely be doing a lot more walking than running.

Yes, all of this. Please do not be hard on yourself if you have to walk often, but also try not to come to a full stop. It would be better to walk briskly the whole time than to sprint 100 yards and then stop to dry-heave. Good luck! If you feel really good afterward, it could become a habit! Oh, and don't let the adrenaline of the starting gun and the surging crowd swindle you into running at a faster speed than you can maintain.
  • jbirkett7
    jbirkett7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You might want to actually build in a run / walk interval into your race, just to save you some headache. I did a 10k race a few years ago without training working a 2 minute run 1 minute pattern and survived. Of course my time was atrocious, but I finished it.
  • leroyizzy
    leroyizzy Posts: 55
    Options
    You might want to actually build in a run / walk interval into your race, just to save you some headache. I did a 10k race a few years ago without training working a 2 minute run 1 minute pattern and survived. Of course my time was atrocious, but I finished it.

This is good advice thanks!
    I have ran before just not for awhile... I routinely do brisk walks and I always feel like I actually walk faster than I run!
  • leroyizzy
    leroyizzy Posts: 55
    Options
    Yes, all of this. Please do not be hard on yourself if you have to walk often, but also try not to come to a full stop. It would be better to walk briskly the whole time than to sprint 100 yards and then stop to dry-heave. Good luck! If you feel really good afterward, it could become a habit! Oh, and don't let the adrenaline of the starting gun and the surging crowd swindle you into running at a faster speed than you can maintain.
    [/quote]

I probably would be 'swindled' too :smile:
    Thanks for the advice!
  • 4cherell
    4cherell Posts: 6
    Options
    Good Luck , pace yourself and remember to breathe. What ever you do don't stop running until you are done, slow down, speed walk if you have to but don't stop until you get to the end. Good Luck.
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice you are getting. Go easy, and enjoy the experience. I would actually recommend a plan (I think someone else said this) of jogging for a few minutes and then walking for a few minutes. Pick a starting point (Like run 2 and walk 1). If that's too strenuous, then cut back to 2 and 2. You'll be done before you know it!

I've never been a runner but have been running with my daughter for the last several months. We usually run 3 miles per workout, although I ran a 4.4 mile run without her the other day. I have found that I enjoy the experience and will probably continue after she leaves (married in two weeks). The biggest thing about exercise is find things you like to do.
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

QFT. I did this (several times because I don't learn my lesson the first time). You will walk, you will take breaks, but DO NOT QUIT! Just keep moving. Make sure you have an mp3 player with some motivating/pump up music, so when you get down, you can get back into the groove.

GOOD LUCK!
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I always walk them and can do it in about 45 minutes.
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k today... never run before lol!! I walked at some points..... I'm feeling the pain!!! and took me like 40 minutes! :laugh:
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first 5K on Sunday, and I'm in the same perdictment. I did train a tiny, but not like I should have. I just plan to do the best I can and see what happens. I'll do what others have suggested and do some intervals.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I ran my first color run 5k on April 27th last year (2012) without training at all and assumed I was in good enough shape (or not bad enough shape) to be able to do it running the whole way. On June 1st, 2012 I signed up for my fitness pal and started exercising regularly because I was pretty dissappointed in myself! (happy I finsihed, glad I did it but sad that I had let myself get to the point where jogging 3.1 miles was really really hard)!

It was hard and I stopped every half mile or so to recover/walk and started jogging again when I felt ready. Overall, I had fun! There were plently of people walking or doing the same walk/jog thing I was doing as well as full on runners. You can walk it briskly if running isnt you thing! Have fun!
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    I did my first 5k this summer without training, BUT that doesnt mean I didn't do other workouts/activities to work on my overall conditioning. The only reason I didnt officialy train for it is because I loathe running with a passion and cant convince myself to do it everyday. However, it was my goal to complete a 5k. Depending on your overall fitness level, you may be able to complete it just fine. If you have decent level of fitness, the competition and adrenaline takes over and pushes you to the end. My advice would be since you didnt train and dont know how to pace yourself with your current coniditioning, dont get sucked into running too fast in the beginning.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Anyone who is in decent shape should be able to run a mile (slowly) even if they don't run. 3? That's a lot if you don't run. If you run it and push yourself, just be prepared to be in pain, lots of pain, the next few days. I assume it is for charity or some other purpose that you signed up for a 5K since you don't run? Well then the charity already has your money, so walk it. If you find another person walking your speed, even better, walk it with them.

Don't push yourself, because you will hate it. Maybe you will end up liking it though and try another one :)
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I ran a 5k earlier this year. I hadn't run in months (almost a year), but I HAD been doing 30DS for two months and so my cardio preparedness was pretty good. I did pretty good (thank to that cardio) considering I hadn't run in the months leading up to the 5k. I was able to run/job 2.5 miles before I had to walk.

Anyway, hope you do well and hope it's the beginning of a new thing for you. :)
  • femmefae
    femmefae Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My first 5k I did the C25K training program...on a treadmill. Needless to say the hills and uneven streets left me a little off my game. I managed to finish in ~28 mins (way less than my goal time) by sprinting, running, and jogging to breathe. Eventually I'd love to just run straight, but it'll come with time. Just do your best and have fun with it! It's addicting once you do it once! :D
  • Sprklberie
    Options
    How did it go?!?!?