Where do you find the time?

Options
Does anyone have any tips on when to fit exercise into a schedule? Or maybe short effective exercises? I work two jobs with one day off a week to do housework and errands. I wake at 6am, leave the house by 7:30am then not return until 9:30pm.

Replies

• JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    Stop on the way home from work. I used to leave the house at 6am, work all day and get to the gym on the way home from 10pm to 11pm. Could do it twice during the work week and once on your day off.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Look up HIIT. Get a workout in 20 min before you leave for work or get home. Do pushups, squats, lunges, jumping jacks, jump rope etc. during commercials if you watch tv. Anything to get your heart rate up.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I wake at 6am, leave the house by 7:30am then not return until 9:30pm.

What are you doing for 1.5 hrs in the morning?

I wake around 6:30am and am out the door around 6:45am.
  • tavinsmom
    tavinsmom Posts: 101
    Options
    It's not easy! I work 2 jobs too, though I have weeknights off and weekend morning, so that is when I exercise. I feel like I'm constantly going. I made a commitment to exercise though and have been doing it for 2 months. I go the exact same times every single week.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    I have a similar schedule... at least in the mornings. I get to the gym for 5am when they open and am currently doing a 5/3/1 liftting workout that takes about 45-50 minutes to complete. Just enough to get a shower and make my train at 6:05.

Time will never just appear so you need to sit down, and make a schedule that fits into what you have available. It is not easy but certainly not impossible.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    you can walk on your breaks and/or lunch. is what I did until I had more time to myself
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I make sure to walk the stairs as much as possible at work. I tracked it and found out that one time around the floor and through all the cubicle "hallways" is .10 of a mile....so I try to walk the floor a couple of times over my breaks.

Then two or three times a week, I have just started lifting heavy so I get home from work and immediately change into my workout clothes, head to my basement rec room and spend 45 minutes or so lifting. THEN I go upstairs to make dinner and relax for the rest of the evening. It's not easy, but it needs to be done to meet my goals.

You can do it!
  • nuvs
    nuvs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:45 and do my Insanity work out. Im a Mother of two kids a 1 yr old and a 3 yr old. I have to be out the door by 7am off work at 5 pick kids up from daycare home by 6-6:30 make dinner clean up bath kids and prep for the next day. I hear you that time is hard to find but its possible. If I can do it so can you it takes a bit of sacrifice but it pays off. And my day usually does not end till around 10:30.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i dont find the time, i make the time.

your schedule looks nasty.
    wake up earlier and do it or stay up later and do it.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    How long does it take you to get ready in the morning? Do you belong to a gym? Why not get up earlier and go to the gym before work, shower and get ready there and then leave around the time that you would be leaving the house to go to work (provided the gym is close to your house and/or work).
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    How does one FIND time? It's a relative theory in the something which has no mass is believed to exist.

CREATE IT
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Wake up earlier and workout, or workout after work. It's tough having multiple jobs, but the secret is not "finding" time...the secret is that you "make" the time.

When I was trying to "find" the time, I never could...it's passive...I was always too busy. "Making" time is assertive...and one can always make the time.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    if you watch tv, you can do squats, lunges, crunches, wall squats, donkey kicks, etc. while you watch.
  • paymaas
    paymaas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You do have to create the time - it is not easy - I find if I write it on my calendar, with a time and location (like a doctor appointment) it helps me be more committed.
  • xjoseyx
    xjoseyx Posts: 74
    Options
    i work shifts. i work out on my days off and before i go to work on a late (i need to be in work by 9:30am, im in the gym at 7:30am). I also walk when I get home from an early shift (i get home at 7pm)
  • MelissaH0910
    MelissaH0910 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I set my alarm for 3:45 a.m., I'm up by 4 & in my gym or heading out for a run by 4:15. I work 50 - 55 hours a week, and hubby & I are in the process of getting a business up and running, so time is very tight. There are many days--like today--that I have to force myself out of bed, but I do it because if I don't, I won't have the energy to do everything else I have to do.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    You just have to make it a priority.

I work 7:30-4:30, then do school work until around 9:00 every night. I also have a 4 year old, a Husband, dog, cat, house to take of.

I either get up at 4:30 am and work out, or do it after work, then end up doing homework until 10 or 11 at night.

I'm tired all the time, but those workouts are usually the highlight of my day.
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:45 and do my Insanity work out. Im a Mother of two kids a 1 yr old and a 3 yr old. I have to be out the door by 7am off work at 5 pick kids up from daycare home by 6-6:30 make dinner clean up bath kids and prep for the next day. I hear you that time is hard to find but its possible. If I can do it so can you it takes a bit of sacrifice but it pays off. And my day usually does not end till around 10:30.

This is my life too! I get up at 4am while the kids are sleeping! Then take my shower, get them up by 6 and out the door by 7am! Then the rest of my day is the same as hers!!! Once you get in the habit of getting up early, you start to just wake up on your own! It only takes about a week or 2 to get in a good rythm!!!! LIke she said "worth it"
  • lcransaw
    lcransaw Posts: 95
    Options
    I use to have the same issue. I committed to make time. I get up at 4:30 a.m., and hit the gym no later than 5:15 a.m. I am done by 6:30 a.m. and I go home and start my day as normal. If a gym membership is not an option right now, here are things I did to get some exercise in:

1. If you drive, park your car as far away from the entrance as possible, and walk briskly to the door.
    2. Get a pedometer and focus on getting over 10,000 steps or more each day.
    3. Constantly move, if you work at a desk, try to move your feet as much as possible, and take breaks to walk around.
    4. Get a hoola hoop and jump rope, so that you can use them while watching your favorite television show.
    5. Go up and down the stairs at your home, business or mall.
    6. Make a dance cd with your favorite songs. Put enough on there so that you can dance around and enjoy for over 20 minutes.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    You have to make time! For me, I have no problems getting up at 6am every day to get a workout in whether it would be going for a run or heading to the gym. If you can't find the time, honestly, you probably got to sacrifice something during the day whether it's taking your lunch break to go for a short walk or something like that.