Quitting smokes AND starting a new "healthy" regimen...

Options
Hello!
Is anyone else on here in the process of quitting smoking all while tryin a new healthier lifestyle, like exercising and eating clean?? Some days I'm not sure doing ALL this at once was a good idea, but it does feel amazing after a hard work out. 10 days I have been quit free and I haven't been doing terrible with my eating. Much cleaner than before, except my weakness Mt. Dew! Usually have 1 bottle a day, hopefully soon to be ZERO per day. Any way, just seem to be struggling right now, was seeing if anyone else had troubles with this and how you kept yourself determinded. Thanks :)

Replies

• kathywiggins3
    Options
    Oh yes !!! I feel you !! Quit now 51 days but at the same time trying to lose not gain ...its tough but I think now for me the quit part
    is more mental than physical...hang in there !! We got this!!!:happy:
    To keep from eating what I don't need I hung my favorite jeans in plain sight to remind me why I want the weight off...to keep from smoking I look at pics of my grandkids and at the lines on my face from all the years of doing it....One reminds of what all I have to look forward to and the other reminds of damage already done...Good luck!!
  • 08kat
    08kat Posts: 51
    Options
    I quit my 35+ year smoking habit 6 weeks ago and I feel better than I have my entire life. I am able to work out 5-6 days a week without sucking wind and feeling like I'm going to have a heart attack. Going to my first Body Pump class tonight. Best of luck to you, keep up the great work!!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I smoked my last cig on April 28th this year. While I haven't lost any weight, I haven't gained any either. I am able to do more, go harder and generally feel better than before. I still have limits on how much air I can "suck" in when going all out but it's getting better every day. Stick with it, it can be done!!
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Amazing determination! Good for you! I quit last August and started my diet and exercise this May. If you want it, you will do it! It's all about willpower.

Add me and we can support each other.
  • HellBabe11
    Options
    ****! I am still smoking but have go the nicotine patches ready and now having joined this programme I can replace ciggies with healthy food and exercise??? And hopefully svelte new body? lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    See my profile...quite on Sept 25, 2012. Started all this Good Livin' at the same time.
  • KarenJ15
    KarenJ15 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting! If you can get motivated to work out and eat better, this site will be a huge help!
    I quit smoking April 2012 after smoking for over 30 years. I did not know about this site at the time, but I wish I did.

If you can replace the urge to smoke with healthy snacks and exercise, you will win the battle against the cigs!

Feel free to add me!
  • jshute71
    jshute71 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good for YOU! I quit smoking on March 29, 2012 and joined a gym all in the same day! It definitely helped me to focus on healthy living and exercise rather than my urge to smoke. Now the only thing I think about is how I am healthier and no longer trapped by a stinky addiction!!! Keep going and give yourself props for quitting - it's hard, but soooooo worth it! :bigsmile:
  • BlessedBe23
    BlessedBe23 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I had 2 weeks non smoking under my belt before last weekend when I had to have one of my cats put to sleep unexpectedly :(

I did not make it through that without smoking....but I've been back on the patch for 3 days now and am doing great! We can do it! Don't give up......everything positive you do for yourself counts a thousand fold.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    great news! im so happy for you!!! I quit smoking for good in august 2012, almost a year ago. within a month, I felt so good, I then in September 2012 decided to lose weight, since I could now breathe when trying to exercise!!! I have not had a cigarette since august, nor a craving for one! I have lost 80 pounds since September, and I feel so good! I can breathe so much better, I smell so much better, and even my skin looks so much better! these two choices are two of the best decisions you can make for your health!

also, ive noticed, that most (not all) of the time I see smokers, that they are overweight. could it be that the two go hand in hand, with an un healthy lifestyle? I know its not all this way, but many times, I see it this way.
  • kellynadler3
    Options
    Hey there! Yes.....I recently went on vacation to Key West and tried parasailing for the first time. I had originally intended on trying to quit smoking when I returned, but when I saw the pictures of myself in a bathing suit, I realized just how fat I was!! I got back last week, have only had 3 cigarettes and started a 1200cal diet Monday. Today I signed up for kickboxing classes that start tonight. I am riding the wave of motivation from those parasailing pictures and depedning on the support of my family for not smoking. It is probably harder than doing one thing at a time, but, I have smoked for almost 30 years and can't stand the way I look in my clothes..........so, I am throwing caution to the wind and trying to completely change my habits all at once. Good luck. I know I need it:)
  • RockClimber69
    RockClimber69 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Quit on December 25, 2012 and lost 22 pounds so far. You CAN do it! Feel free to add me if you want a cheering squad!
  • lyssa1209
    lyssa1209 Posts: 3
    Options
    All of you seem to have some great willpower and determination :) Thank you for the inspiration, so happy to see that this can be accomplished! Better to leave one nasty addiction for a very healthy one (exercise)! This does seem to help with cravings, unfortunately though when that real STRONG one comes on I can't just drop and do 20! (I might get some funky looks lol) Good luck to all of you, keep up the great work!!! :bigsmile:
  • kathym1122
    kathym1122 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I quit thanksgiving 2012 did it differently lost 40lbs then quit smoking I did gain 7 back having a hard time losing it I quit because I wanted to bike again and of course for my health. I got to a point in my PA that I just could,t do more knew it was time to quit. Janurary of this year I was back on my bike unfortunately I have had a set back broke my wrist and elbow in June urge for smoking came back a little depression maybe have not smoked keep with it your doing great!
  • Mutterz
    Mutterz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 months into loosing weight/toning and 3 days into quitting and boy it is real hard graft! Add to that the fact I'm currently unemployed I have no routine to rely on to get me through the day! I'm certain with enough will power and support from peeps that it is do able :)

That sounds so self involved lol you can do it! It's all mind over matter, if you don't mind then it doesn't matter ;)
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You've got this girl! Good on you for wanting health! Best choice in the world ;)

Add me up if you want!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 months into loosing weight/toning and 3 days into quitting and boy it is real hard graft! Add to that the fact I'm currently unemployed I have no routine to rely on to get me through the day! I'm certain with enough will power and support from peeps that it is do able :)

That sounds so self involved lol you can do it! It's all mind over matter, if you don't mind then it doesn't matter ;)

it takes 2 weeks for your body to clear the nicotine out of your system, and ease your physical cravings. if you can make it 2 weeks, you've got it! 2 weeks for the physical cravings, longer for the mental cravings... YOU WILL FEEL SO MUCH BETTER!!! you can definitely do it!!! take up running... its almost impossible to be a runner and smoke!
  • donnace7
    donnace7 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I stopped smoking in March of 2008 after 20 years. It has been AWESOME!! I can take deep breaths, my hair doesn't smell like smoke and I don't have to go sneaking outside at work or when I'm with my nieces. Since your ten days in, you're almost over that two week "hump". From there it gets easier its so worth your while. The best part is when a doctor says "Do you smoke?" you can say "NO!!" with pride instead of saying "yes" and looking at your shoes in shame:).
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I quit about a year ago and I am still amazed how much better life is now that I am FREE! Be kind to yourself for awhile, give yourself little gifts, try to avoid stress, etc. I can't believe how much easier it is to work out now, how much more energy I have, how well I can breath and how much more time and money I have now! Good going OP! :)
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    As a smoker for 45 years I can tell you it took a stay in the ICU with blood clots in my heart and legs to get me to quit. I quit Jan 26, 2012 and I can do so much more than I ever could. Just think what you could do if you didn't smoke.Don't wait until it's to late and you can't undo the damage done to your wonderful body! Love yourself totally! Good Luck!