Chia seeds? Share your experience/views:)

Options
I have been reading up on Chia seeds and if the truth be known, was afraid if I consume them, plants would grow out of my ears and belly button;) Ch-ch-ch-Chia:) But....All kidding aside, I have read some truly good things about it. I took the chance and bought some today from my local market; Bob's Red Mill Whole Chia seeds to be exact. I sprinkled some on my natural peanut butter on toast, and on my lean ground beef as well. Love the little crunch. Has anyone who has enjoyed Chia noticecd any benefits? Weight loss? Healthier wellness checkup? Would love to hear your input:)

Replies

• mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I was too inconsistent with it to notice a difference. My boyfriend says it gives him energy. I personally just loved the taste of mixing it up in my vanilla yogurt and letting it sit for a while. It absorbs it and somehow.....this tastes amazing.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    They're great. A little strange at first to get used to given the texture they have when exposed to liquid, but great for getting things 'moving along' digestively.

I've done everythign from sprinkle them on salads like pepper, to putting them in my morning berry shake. I've seen pudding made out of them but haven't had the opportunity to try it just yet. But all around they're one of thsoe superfoods that can be easily combined in to pretty much anything you eat.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I have been reading up on Chia seeds and if the truth be known, was afraid if I consume them, plants would grow out of my ears and belly button;) Ch-ch-ch-Chia:) But....All kidding aside, I have read some truly good things about it. I took the chance and bought some today from my local market; Bob's Red Mill Whole Chia seeds to be exact. I sprinkled some on my natural peanut butter on toast, and on my lean ground beef as well. Love the little crunch. Has anyone who has enjoyed Chia noticecd any benefits? Weight loss? Healthier wellness checkup? Would love to hear your input:)
    I use to eat them a lot for a long time (put them in my yogurt). No noticeable benefits at all. But if you're missing the nutrients that come in these, they would make a good addition.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My one and only experience with chia seeds was not a good one :\
    One of the girls at work was telling me about how they combine with liquid (like gastric juices or saliva) and form a sludge that's difficult to digest, and therefore keeps you fuller longer. So I was like, "yeah, I'll have some o' that"

Well. She brought me a slice of toast with peanut butter on it that had been dipped in the seeds (probably...2-3ish tablespoons of the seeds in total). And oh. my. god. I thought my stomach was going to give up and extract itself from my abdomen, it was SO uncomfortable. In retrospect, I probably should've started with a small bite or two because my body wasn't used to all that fiber. So word of advice - start slow, don't gobble a whole lot at once if you're not accustomed.

Also, I had this awful, slimy film in my mouth afterwards, too. And the seeds got stuck in my teeth. But my coworker still swears by the stuff - says she hasn't been hungry a day since she started eating 'em.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've only been using them for a couple of days; Dellaquilla; I am so sorry you went through that:( The serving in the Bob's Red Mill Chia Seeds that I have is 1tbsp, and that's what I use with each meal; I just sprinkle it on my salads/ toast with peanut butter/ lean ground beef, things like that. I feel full and not wanting to reach for junk every second of the day. Instead of buying bags of Snickers like I used to, I am buying bags of Chia, LOL:) And the health food aisle looks so much different than the rest of the market; not what I am used to at all, but I am slowly learning to eat much better than I was. This is a nice little additive and it would be interesting to see what my bloodwork shows. Hopefully things are still good there!!:) I know there's no miracle thing that will take the weight off, it's all us, we have to make the necessary mofifications in life to achieve a healthy and postive goal. It's nice to have a little help along the way, though!!:)
  • blampman1978
    Options
    I adore chia seeds and hemp seeds as well. I make puddings with them, use them in smoothies. My favorite way to consume them is by putting them in liquid and drinking them. They swell and sort of give the effect of a bubble tea. Here in Portland they are popular in our overabundance of health food stores and you can find tons of drinks with seeds in them. I get energy from them but they are not good to eat dry if you have braces because they get stuck:(
  • granitendirt
    Options
    I had some for the first time a few weeks ago. A friend brought something to a potluck that resembled grey frog spawn :) It was chia seed pudding, kind of had the consistency of tapioca. Once I got over how it looked, it was surprisingly tasty!
  • zinatara
    zinatara Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I bought a bag recently to try out in a cold oatmeal recipe. It tasted good and I will make it again.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    They make a great pudding and a good source of soluble fiber.

Just don't eat too much at once, it can hurt....
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Why are chia seeds good for you? I have never had them. The 1st time I saw them at the store I honestly thought it was for the chia pets. I am interested in knowing more-thank you
  • jennrox78
    jennrox78 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump for more info
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have read that chia seeds have omega 3s which a lot of people get from fish... I don't like fish. I have tried chia kombucha and liked it.
    I also got some cereal called q'ia. It has chia seeds, buckwheat and hemp with different varieties. I got cranberry vanilla. I put 2 tbsp on top of my vanilla greek yogurt & fruit in the morning and love the crunch and the flavor from the cranberry vanilla. I think it does help me stay full longer because before I started having this for breakfast I didn't think it would keep me full at all. I actually just finished off a bag and plan on getting another one.
  • cpcoursec
    cpcoursec Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bump, interested in learning more.