Should I have more sodium?

Options
hmg90
hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
There is quite a high sodium limit and I am usually not even remotely close to breaking it. Some days my total sodium intake is under 100.
Are there negative effects of this? Does it matter at all? How come the limit is so high?
I usually stay within calorie limit, carb limit and fat limit. Occasionally I break the sugar one, but am working on that.

Replies

• BrittanyMegan88
    BrittanyMegan88 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    It's good to get a small amount of sodium. The reason the sodium one is so high is cause that's the maximum amount you should have in a day, but it's better to avoid getting close to that number. Less is actually much better.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Lower sodium is good for the bulk of Americans who are getting TOO MUCH in the processed foods that they eat daily. However, SOME sodium is necessary for you to exist. Just like water. The sodium water balance within your body MUST be controlled (thankfully your body will do this for you if you give it the right ingredients) in order for your blood pressure to stay where it should and other metabolic processes to occur. Sodium is not the enemy, but it is readily available in the American diet. So much so that most people get too much.

You shouldn't be aiming for NO sodium unless you have high blood pressure. I am usually aiming for a bit MORE than what MFP recommends because I have very low blood pressure. If you're truly concerned about your sodium intake, talk to your doctor.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need sodium. There are issues associated with getting too little sodium.

Before you go adding sodium you may want to double check your entries. Many entries may not have all the nutritional information. A lot of foods naturally contain sodium, it would be really difficult to get only 100 mgs.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Under 100 is very low, are you sure? You should usually get at least 500.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    500 is considered the medical minimum. So I would explore a few veggies or something to bring it up a bit.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    The recommended amount on MFP is 3500/day. I have HBP and am on medication for it. My doc says no more than 1500. HBP is one of the leading causes of stroke. A good reason to eat clean, stay away from all processed foods, boxed, canned etc. Stick with lean protein, fruits, veg and complex carbs and you can't go wrong.
  • hmg90
    Options
    Lower sodium is good for the bulk of Americans who are getting TOO MUCH in the processed foods that they eat daily. However, SOME sodium is necessary for you to exist. Just like water. The sodium water balance within your body MUST be controlled (thankfully your body will do this for you if you give it the right ingredients) in order for your blood pressure to stay where it should and other metabolic processes to occur. Sodium is not the enemy, but it is readily available in the American diet. So much so that most people get too much.

You shouldn't be aiming for NO sodium unless you have high blood pressure. I am usually aiming for a bit MORE than what MFP recommends because I have very low blood pressure. If you're truly concerned about your sodium intake, talk to your doctor.

I am European, it is possible foods here have slightly lower sodium content? I have heard the American groceries contain more salt.
    I can tell that processed foods do contain more salt - I sometimes have a small bag of low fat onion rings and they had a sodium content of 100, which will be the highest of the day. Other than that, most healthy foods seem to be quite low. Today's chicken fillet had 70, avocado had 4, tomatoes 10 and red onion 1. My egg white omelet had no sodium at all.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I am European, it is possible foods here have slightly lower sodium content? I have heard the American groceries contain more salt.
    I can tell that processed foods do contain more salt - I sometimes have a small bag of low fat onion rings and they had a sodium content of 100, which will be the highest of the day. Other than that, most healthy foods seem to be quite low. Today's chicken fillet had 70, avocado had 4, tomatoes 10 and red onion 1. My egg white omelet had no sodium at all.

The white of one large egg has about 55 mg sodium in it.

I would speculate that for some foods you may be using calories-only entries? But your diary is closed.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

! large egg white has 55 mg of sodium. Half a chicken breast skin and bone removed, 77 mg.

Double check your entries.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    How are you only eating 100 mg of sodium a day? A glass of milk has more sodium than that. I think you need to recheck your diary.
  • hmg90
    Options

I would speculate that for some foods you may be using calories-only entries? But your diary is closed.

I rarely free-add calories, I look it up in the database, and I only select it if it is approved by FitnessPal. Then again, they have been wrong before - I once noticed that the calorie limit they listed for Sancerre white wine was HALF of the actual amount.
    It's very annoying though. If most of the nutritional information listed in the database is false, what point is there using this website?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

You shouldn't be aiming for NO sodium unless you have high blood pressure.

You can run into problems by having NO sodium. I have hypertension and I aim for less than 2000, ideally I'd like to get to less than 1500mg daily but none isn't good either...
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I agree with others...I have a hard time believing you eat less than 100mg of sodium...perhaps that was a typo for 1000mg? Also, be careful logging, some people that entered food data just enter calories and no other nutritients, it's annoying and can be problematic for people.
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    There is quite a high sodium limit and I am usually not even remotely close to breaking it. Some days my total sodium intake is under 100.
    Are there negative effects of this? Does it matter at all? How come the limit is so high?
    I usually stay within calorie limit, carb limit and fat limit. Occasionally I break the sugar one, but am working on that.

If you read this article, it should answer your questions, http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284
    100 = too low and virtually impossible to do,.
    2300 = too high

I try and keep my sodium intake number near my calorie number, Today I blew it big time.

If you open your diary, you will get better help
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

I rarely free-add calories, I look it up in the database, and I only select it if it is approved by FitnessPal. Then again, they have been wrong before - I once noticed that the calorie limit they listed for Sancerre white wine was HALF of the actual amount.
    It's very annoying though. If most of the nutritional information listed in the database is false, what point is there using this website?

Myfitnesspal ones don't have a asterick. There is an issue with user entered data on this site, yes, they are trying to find ways to address it. However, it is a free site and the good data is there if you take the time to look.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options

A lot of the European stuff has the wrong sodium count on it, in America it's shown in mmg and uk mg and people forget to multiply.
  • ZacPynn
    ZacPynn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    .... Myfitnesspal ones don't have a asterisk. There is an issue with user entered data on this site, yes, they are trying to find ways to address it. However, it is a free site and the good data is there if you take the time to look.
    Very useful system and site. I like it a lot. I'll get the hang of it but I don't know HOW to look for good data yet. I have to enter something and then look to see if it seems accurate from my limited knowledge. The "non-approved" ones without an asterisk seem to be more reliable for sodium. All the calories, carbs and fat with the MFP star seem to be what I would expect.

Pesto with zero sodium ? (The named brand has 2% salt plus two cheeses, how do I work out the sodium?)
    Cantal cheese with zero sodium? Impossible.
    Today it's recorded that I'm over over my sodium target, just the default one, even with the sodium from 60 grams of Cantal missing.

Back to the question which prompted this. I'll be eating a lot less cheese now the figures have hammered home the sodium and fat content. Would it make sense to just put "Emmental" or "Cheddar" no matter which hard cheese I use just so that some sodium is recorded?

Thanks for any advice.