Good Gym Membership price?

Options
My husband and I are thinking about getting a gym membership to help us reach our fitness goals.

The other day we went to a gym my friends are set up at and the lady said for a deal she'd do them at $15.50 each +tax bi- weekly, plus we don't have to pay the 100$ for some fitness test, nor do we have to pay first and last. We also get to do everything at the gym (pool, towel service, day care (we have a baby) and all the other classes they offer).

Is this a good price or should I look else where?

So that'd be almost $40 a month for us both.

I've never had a gym membership so I don't know what's good or not. We live in Canada Ontario if that makes a difference :/ The YMCA near us is about $25 bi-weekly. So I'm thinking good deal?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I would say anything under $40/mo is a great deal for a fully equipped gym with classes, day care and a pool.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You get a way better deal than we do here in Calgary, at least from all the fee ranges that I have been provided with when looking for a gym. I think the cheapest was stil 60 bucks a month and didn't have a large facility and didn't have a good range of machines, I think the best one for the price and what you get with it was anytime fitness (has tanning facilities on site!) and YMCA and they were around 70 bucks a month I think here.

So in my eyes you got a good deal!
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Seems like a good deal to me! I am currently paying $45/month at LA Fitness Signature (in Tampa, FL) for just myself. My husband pays an additional $45 to attend the same gym. The cheapest gym membership I've found in my area was at Shapes Total Fitness for Women. I got a gym member ship for $300 ($25 per month), but I had to pay upfront for the entire year and my husband couldn't work out with me since it was not a co-ed gym.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I don't know about Canada but I would jump on it. I think a family membership at our Gym is $29.99. We pay yearly for a discount so not sure monthly. It is 24/7 but nothing but equipment. No pool, towesl OR towel service! LOL no kids allowed so no daycare, no classes. Persoanl training is extra charge.
  • ElizaJay143
    ElizaJay143 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    A good deal for a gym membership is less about what you pay for it, and more about what you get for your money.

My gym charges $165/mo for the regular memberships. I get a discount for their buddy program since my husband goes with me, which is $115/mo each. Then, we pay 6 months in advance and get a month free, so for us, it works out to being $96/mo each.

BUT, we go consistently, and we get results, so for us it's a GREAT deal.

My old gym membership was $30/mo and I never went, so it was a complete waste of money.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I would grab the deal without thinking more than two seconds.
    Here in Mexico City I have not yet found a full service gym that costs less then 1000.-pesos, which is over 85 .-US$ a month. That does not include inscription and other incidentals. And that is even though in Mexico people earn way less than in Canada or the US.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are thinking about getting a gym membership to help us reach our fitness goals.

The other day we went to a gym my friends are set up at and the lady said for a deal she'd do them at $15.50 each +tax bi- weekly, plus we don't have to pay the 100$ for some fitness test, nor do we have to pay first and last. We also get to do everything at the gym (pool, towel service, day care (we have a baby) and all the other classes they offer).

Is this a good price or should I look else where?

So that'd be almost $40 a month for us both.

I've never had a gym membership so I don't know what's good or not. We live in Canada Ontario if that makes a difference :/ The YMCA near us is about $25 bi-weekly. So I'm thinking good deal?

Thanks so much!

Less than $40 a month for two people for pool, day care, classes, and the full gym is great, especially if you both use it on a regular basis.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    We pay $50 a month for the entire family at a YMCA with just about anything you could need in a gym including a water park.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I recently joined a new gym that offers lots of classes and has 2 pools and three locations in my city. It cost me $43 a month and I had to pay a $25 joining fee, a $10 key card fee but got two months free. I did have to sign a year contract. They have free daycare (I don't have kids so that doesn't matter to me). I can take the premium classes free for 30 days like Dynamic training, Yoga, Team Gravity and some aqua class Aqua Logix I think. I got to meet with a trainer that went over my fitness goals and gave me a fitness assesement and then I met with another training for a one on one session of exercises to work on and get to meet free with him every month to reassess my progress and goals. I was going to Planet Fitness and only paying $10 a month but needed something new beside cardio machines and weight machines. I really love the Dynamic training and team gravity class with the gravity machines. The pool classes are great too. I also got a $25 gift card for the gym after meeting with the trainer for my fitness assessment so that kinda off set the $25 joining fee.
    Good luck!
  • ParrosFan
    ParrosFan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an excellent deal. I pay $14.50 per month, no pool. I'd love a pool.
  • tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options
    A good deal for a gym membership is less about what you pay for it, and more about what you get for your money.

My gym charges $165/mo for the regular memberships. I get a discount for their buddy program since my husband goes with me, which is $115/mo each. Then, we pay 6 months in advance and get a month free, so for us, it works out to being $96/mo each.

BUT, we go consistently, and we get results, so for us it's a GREAT deal.

My old gym membership was $30/mo and I never went, so it was a complete waste of money.

I agree! I could Planet Fitness for $10/month but instead I swankier gym for $50/month. I dig the community atmosphere and I NEVER wait on equipment.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I used to pay $88 bucks a month for a family membership to the Y because of all the offerings, but I never went.
    Now a pay $20/month ($99 down) for Golds gym. No pool and a smaller choice of classes, but I go almost every day and the equipment selection is better.

The moral of the story is...join where you'll go. Whether it be cheaper or more expensive (within your budget, of course.)
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym, but I'm putting my 2 cents in anyway. Check the fine print, see how long this deal is going to last, 6 months? A year? Make sure you can cancel and not signing on for a long term contract. $40/month for 2 people is a great deal, just make sure they're just not trying to get you in the door, and then you're stuck. Good luck.
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The gym memberships around here easily run around $30 a month.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I haven't belonged to a gym in a while (now I belong to a yoga studio).

When I was in college I paid $29 a month for the basic gym - no day care no pool) Pool was an extra 15 a month, so $45. I don't have kids, so didn't ask about daycare. That was at 24 hour fitness (which, mine wasn't open 24 hours, only the clubs and sports are, and you pay extra for those too).

My boyfriend pays $9.99 a month for crunch fitness, but it's really limited on machines and hours (i think they close at like 8 PM?). He now has a small gym through work, so he does that instead.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a fantastic deal. But as everyone else said - be sure that you'll use it!

I pay more than I would like for my gym ($80/month with a student discount), BUT, it's convenient, has great facilities, and I love the classes. And I go every day (mostly to a class), sometimes twice a day. So when I work it out, I'm paying $2.66/day. When spin classes and yoga classes where I live cost $20 or more per class, I think I'm getting a pretty good deal.
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Great price!
    I have the Y-I use the pool more than anything. I am not ready to try the classes, yet.
    In the fall, we'll add our family; so close to $100.
    Also, check with your local Y--they have scholarships for families/people if the income is a certain level.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    It is a good price. Check if there cancellation fees, or a minimum amount of time (like a couple of years contract. Does your health insurance kick in if you go so many times a month? Some do a reimbursement for 15 times a month. Our plan used to, but then we retired. Remember, the price is only good if u use the membership
  • 808haoleboy
    808haoleboy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I pay $20 a month for mine, month to month, no contract. I'm too lazy and hate traffic to head to the military bases (one of the many benefits of being a reservist.) My gym is fully stocked with everything but a pool. I'd say anything less then $40 be good deal ESPECIALLY if you use it. If you never go, its not worth it.

Make sure your commute to the gym is easy cause if you're having to fight traffic both ways you're probably less likely to go!
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Prices run the gambit. Figure out what you need and want before you start looking. I.e. - do you want day care, classes, types of classes, equipment, hours, commitment, etc. And you and your husband may want different things.. And do not be surprised that a lot of Gyms insist of giving you a tour before they will give you a price.

Pricing around were I am Maryland, there are a few that run from $10 a month, to ones that run a couple hundred a month. I actually belong to two, my primary Worlds runs be under fifteen a month, (Month-to-month) they however have limited daycare, and limited classes, but is close to work. I also belong to another one where there was a $100 joining fee and is like $55 a month. The second one i joined because the wife had to go there, they have classes, pools, daycare, lessons, etc... I actually thought they were way over-priced until I called a few of these Cross-training places recently and have been quoted $220 a month with a min 1 year commitment. So figure out what you want and then do a couple Web searchs, some of the best gyms that I have ever used are hidden gems, that focus more on the gym, than the advertising.

For some people the commitment is not an issue, but the had joined a gym a number of years back, got into a year long commitment and could not cancel. The only two times I stepped foot in the gym over 15 months was to join and cancel.