Fasting for Ramadan

Options
I'm an Anthropology student, and I am working on an ethnography on Muslim traditions, specifically Ramadan. I believe in completely immersing myself in the culture if I plan to understand it, so I decided to also participate in Ramadan, including fasting, praying and attending Mosque. Today is day 4, and it is the hardest. I know that I am fasting for a purpose, but since this isn't my religion I find it hard to not let these hunger pains get to me. Has anyone else fasted? If so, how did you handle the hunger pains?

Replies

• Lulla_dxb
    Lulla_dxb Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi, this sounds interesting!!

I am fasting at the moment and I don't really feel hungry, just thirsty.
    You should have a filling breakfast before you begin the fast and drink plenty of water.
    During the day keep yourself occupied with things that will take your mind off food and remember that you will be eating shortly!

I have honestly never found fasting during Ramadan difficult. I live in Dubai and it can get up to 50 degrees at the moment so thirst sets in if you go out a lot, but I just block it out!

Good Luck!
  • ShrinkingMuslimah
    ShrinkingMuslimah Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful!

I hope you learn a lot with your time of fasting.
    Your pre-dawn meal should be something that will stick with you for a while. I really enjoy oatmeal, and mix in some dates and hemp hearts.
    When you break your fast at night, try not to overdo it at first, have a few dates and a glass of water, then wait a few minutes before having your meal, this will help your system not get shocked by the food. Try to avoid heavy greasy foods, and stick to lean proteins, complex carbs, and veggies and fruit which will help you with hydration (like melons, cucumbers, etc).
    For the daytime, if you get hungry or thirsty try and keep out of the sun if you can, and give yourself small easy projects to work on. Try to have more than one project so that if you get bored or tired of one, you have something else to switch to easily enough, that way you can avoid boredom which leads to thinking about food.

There is a free course you can take online at Islamic Online University called Fiqh of Fasting, if you go to their website it is under the "Diploma" section. It is 100% free, they will not even ask you for a credit card when you sign up. It's quite short and easy, you can do it on your own time with no due dates, or live sessions. You just listen to some lectures, read a bit of the text, then take a multiple choice test. It's a fantastic resource. It will also help you fill your time during the day, and keep your mind out of the fridge :wink:

Good luck! If you have any more questions, or questions about Islam in general please add me and feel free to message me anytime.
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    This is my first Ramadan and I have to say that not drinking is the worst. I can easily go all day without eating but I live in the desert and it's hard not to have that glass of water/iced tea in the afternoon. I drink 40 oz of water in the early morning and the same amount at night to make up the deficit. That way, even though I get thirsty, I can tell myself that I've had more water this morning than I usually do all day. I feel really spacey though. And other drivers annoy me to pieces right now.
    Enjoy your fast. I think that everyone benefits from the experience.
  • JeMappelleKourtney
    Options
    Thank you for the support everyone. It was very nice to hear from Muslims who are also fasting for Ramadan. I'm sure I will be okay, and I hear that everyday gets easier. You are all right, I need to eat a very filling meal for Sahur and fill my day with activities. I will take your advice..But I do find waking up at 4a.m. hard..Wish me luck (:
  • horrorlady
    horrorlady Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Alhumdulellah!
    ive fasted every year! Stay strong sisters!:wink:
  • sadeestyle
    sadeestyle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm in Pakistan. I'm fasting too. Here in Pakistan we have fast around 17 hours. i don't feel hungry buy thirsty sometimes. I'm eating around 1700 calories. I'm planning to lose around 10 LBS in ramadan otherwise its very hard for me to strict on diet also doing half and hour brisk walk with 30 day shred :)