Fresh beets, Parsnips, and Turnips

Options
Bechard05
Bechard05 Posts: 231
I love veggies and love trying new ones. These are a few common ones that even though they are common I have not tried so I bought some. Now I need help with what to do with them, how to prepare them ect. So please start sharing your favs and thanks!

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I find that keeping it simple with these works great. Peel (if you wish), cube them, toss them with some olive oil, salt, and pepper, maybe a little cayenne. Place them in the oven at 400F until done...similar to french fries.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I LOVE beets. I put beet puree in the kids pancakes to make them bring pink, they love this. I roast them tossed with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Once peeled I just eat them on the side or chopped in a salad. They're amazing with goat cheese.

Parsnips are good roasted too. I've browned them with pimentos as a side, made them into a gratin (with butternut squash apples and yes, more goat cheese) and shredded them into a coleslaw.

I don't eat a lot of turnips.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Oven roasted with garlic chive butter.
  • Bechard05
    Options
    I LOVE beets. I put beet puree in the kids pancakes to make them bring pink, they love this. I roast them tossed with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Once peeled I just eat them on the side or chopped in a salad. They're amazing with goat cheese.

Parsnips are good roasted too. I've browned them with pimentos as a side, made them into a gratin (with butternut squash apples and yes, more goat cheese) and shredded them into a coleslaw.

I don't eat a lot of turnips.

Someone told me you shouldn't eat beets raw...... Is this true? I thought it was weird.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Roast the parsnips. Freeze the beets and throw them at your enemies, because they taste like dirt.
  • frumpburger
    Options
    MAKE BORSCHT!!!

Contrarian is right, though: beets DO taste like dirt.

I like them a lot anyway, though.
  • RockClimber69
    RockClimber69 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I find that keeping it simple with these works great. Peel (if you wish), cube them, toss them with some olive oil, salt, and pepper, maybe a little cayenne. Place them in the oven at 400F until done...similar to french fries.

^^
    This! My fiance loves root vegetables and requests them roasted all the time! Enjoy!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Parboil the beets, chill and slice them thinly. Then put them on top of tossed mixed greens with goat cheese with a drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar. Add some pecans if you like.

It's one of my favorite salads next to buffalo mozzarella, fresh tomato and basil with extra virgin olive oil and aged balsamic.
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Roasted beets are the bomb! Also yummy in Borsch. If you buy your beets with the leaves attached, don't toss them. Wash them, cut them up and saute them with EVOO and some garlic. I buy (or pick) the beets one day, use the greens that day, and roast the beets later. I've never used a parsnip, but I like turnips in my vegetable soup.
  • ostrichagain
    Options
    I have eaten a raw beet. Really, I think they're best cooked. I don't think eating them raw will hurt you at all, I've juiced raw beets.
  • ostrichagain
    Options
    If you buy your beets with the leaves attached, don't toss them. Wash them, cut them up and saute them with EVOO and some garlic. I buy (or pick) the beets one day, use the greens that day, and roast the beets later.

YES and YES. Beet greens are really good in an omelet too.
  • beachbriel
    beachbriel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Beets are delicious! I am making some now... I cut of the stems/root and then wrap them in foil (keep the skin on.) I roast them in the oven at 450 until you can poke a fork straight through- like a potato. I then peel them semi-warm... The skin comes right off with my hands. I chop them up in cubes, add in chopped up cilantro, kosher salt, and fresh squeezed lime juice. If I am feeling crazy, I put some lime zest. My hubby will sometimes use fresh blood orange juice, but I love the lime.

I then like to sauté the beet tops- I think they are best mixed with kale and some lemon juice/ salt though apple vinegar is good too.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Beet greens are very tasty.

Parsnips are great for roasting, pureeing and making a Fall/Winter soup. Ditto turnips.

I roast parsnips, carrots, and turnips together and toss in a little beef consommé or vegetable stock. Quite tasty as a side dish.
  • Elpaw4mbv
    Elpaw4mbv Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Rather than serve mashed potatoes, I sometimes cook and mash carrots and parsnips with a litte butter and salt & pepper. My kids like them. My husband does the same thing with the turnips and rutabagas. I can't get the right mix of butter or olive oil for them but when he makes them everyone is happy.
  • Bechard05
    Options
    Parboil the beets, chill and slice them thinly. Then put them on top of tossed mixed greens with goat cheese with a drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar. Add some pecans if you like.

It's one of my favorite salads next to buffalo mozzarella, fresh tomato and basil with extra virgin olive oil and aged balsamic.

Do I save just the leaves or the stem part too?
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

*drooling*
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I love love love beets. I usually buy the golden ones, boil and roast them. I put some olive oil s&p and a balsamic glaze on them and just eat them plain, sometimes on a salad with goat cheese like another poster mentioned. It's one of my favorite foods. My daughter LOVES to eat the regular ones because she pees pink lol
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You can make scalloped turnips just like scalloped potatoes. I also cooked turnips last night and mixed them 50/50 with potato to mash up and made mashed potato & turnips, my 5 year old ate them without complaint so I guess it was successful.

I love roasted parsnips, cut them up and toss them in some olive oil in the oven. I also sometimes cut them like carrots and steam them and serve them as a side that way.

I can't help with beets because I hate them!
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Wow, great ideas.

I love all root veggies hunked up and roasted - always.

Also when I make a roast I load it with them. If you eat meat - next big roast throw in all kinds of root veggies. I always think it's funny when people say "oh, I use potatoes, carrots and onions in my roast." What? I like a little change up in my foods.

Those salads above sound fabulous - I LOVE goat cheese... I may need clean undies after I read that one!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Do I save just the leaves or the stem part too?

Parboil the beet bulbs. Add the leaves to the salad. This is my favorite salad by far.