Harder to maintain than lose?? WTF

Options
I wonder if that's just a phrase that goes around and people keep saying it....but WHY?

It's been making me think lately. (Note to self: Cut out all this over thinking crapola) Anyway...

I feel like maintenance is going to be just fine....I think exercise is probably super important at this stage but I don't think it will be harder.... I'm a lifetime logger that's for sure. And I really love working out so...

It seems like what I'm doing is sustainable and just for the record I don't eat clean, I eat healthy enough though. I had pizza last night. Yumm.

Any thoughts? Especially from people on maintenance?

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is harder when you say 'Oh I'm there I don't need to track anymore.'
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is harder when you say 'Oh I'm there I don't need to track anymore.'

Right, a cocky attitude. I hear what you're saying.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I thought it was really easy to lose weight - especially where you are - lots of weight to lose, and it comes off easily.

Come back and revisit this topic when you are down to 10-15 pounds to lose or approaching Maintenance. That's when it gets real.
  • Lennonluv2
    Options
    I thought it was really easy to lose weight - especially where you are - lots of weight to lose, and it comes off easily.

Come back and revisit this topic when you are down to 10-15 pounds to lose or approaching Maintenance. That's when it gets real.

It hasn't been coming off easily I've worked my butt off, actually.
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    losing weight....alot....or a few pounds....or maintaining...its all hard. They all pose their individual challenges and none of them should be undermined.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is easier than losing weight because you can eat more. But it's a matter of whether you were on a "diet" or whether you changed your life.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I think it's going to be hard for me. I'm not really looking forward to it.

I know how to eat to lose weight and god knows I know how to eat to gain it. Where I've failed in the past is maintaining. Also, maintenance is going to last a hell of a lot longer than the couple years it's taken me to lose weight.
  • cmriverside
    Options

I'm sure you have. I've been at Maintenance for over five years, and I lost about 60 pounds, total.

The beginning was easy. Seriously, in hindsight it was. I could eat badly now and then, workout sporadically, and still lost weight. What I'm saying is that it gets exponentially more difficult to lose as you approach your goal weight. You get less calories to eat, you have to be much more selective of your foods, you really have to exercise seriously. It is very difficult to lose those last 10-15 pounds, and it is difficult to keep them off - both physically and psychologically.
  • Lennonluv2
    Options
    But it's a matter of whether you were on a "diet" or whether you changed your life.
    [/quote]

Great point, Thanks for that.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Also, I looked at the last week of your Food Diary, and you are under-eating. That is going to catch up to you , and not in a good way. This site is designed with a calorie deficit figured into your Goal. Your Goal is just that. Eat that amount. Not 400 calories less than that amount on most days, like you have been doing. When you exercise enter the exercise here, and use those calories too.
  • Lennonluv2
    Options

I'm sure you have. I've been at Maintenance for over five years, and I lost about 60 pounds, total.

The beginning was easy. Seriously, in hindsight it was. I could eat badly now and then, workout sporadically, and still lost weight. What I'm saying is that it gets exponentially more difficult to lose as you approach your goal weight. You get less calories to eat, you have to be much more selective of your foods, you really have to exercise seriously. It is very difficult to lose those last 10-15 pounds, and it is difficult to keep them off - both physically and psychologically.

I have heard that it gets hard when you get close to goal, plateaus and such.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I find maintenance to be rather easy...I eat the same way, just more calories...and I train like a mo-fo. Exercise is extremely important at maintenance IMHO. Where most people struggle at maintenance is they stop exercising and they start eating like **** again.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I find it much easier to maintain!
    500 extra calories a day makes such a difference in food choices and portions - it makes you wonder how you put the weight on in the first place.

Finding your maintenance calories takes a bit of time and effort but once you do you have the confidence of knowing exactly what you need to do if you gain a few pounds or if you decide to reset your goal a little bit lower as I've just done. In other words I feel I'm in control of my weight.

What I don't have the confidence to do is to stop logging. I've been overweight for most of my (long!!) adult life and so if logging is the price to be paid for being healthier then that's OK by me.
  • cmriverside
    Options
  • Lennonluv2
    Options
    Also, I looked at the last week of your Food Diary, and you are under-eating. That is going to catch up to you , and not in a good way. This site is designed with a calorie deficit figured into your Goal. Your Goal is just that. Eat that amount. Not 400 calories less than that amount on most days, like you have been doing. When you exercise enter the exercise here, and use those calories too.

I figured I was eating enough since my weight loss has been consistent. I only eat some of my exercise calories back if I'm hungry. i feel like if it ain't broke why fix it??
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Really? I'm having a hard time maintaining, currently trying to gain
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Maintenence is harder because you're not as motivated. Or at least, most people aren't.

Losing weight is awesome. People are noticing, you're getting compliments, you're fitting into your old dresses, you're buying smaller sizes at the store. There's always something to work towards - "I hope I can lose 5 more pounds by Halloween so I can rock this costume" or "If I reach my goal weight by this summer I'll buy a new bikini!" It's all very exciting, and it feels like there's an end in sight. Only 50 pounds to go. Only 20 more pounds. Only 5 pounds left and then I'm there.

Then you get to maintenance. And it's not fun or exciting. The compliments have stopped, you've been wearing the same size clothes for a while. You feel kind of like, "Well, I did it. Now what?" You can always change up your exercise routine and aim for new personal goals, but it's not quite as motivating as weight loss. For a lot of people this leads to slacking off over time. "Well, I can have some extra ice cream tonight, it's not like I'm trying to lose weight any more" or "Well I'm happy with my body now, it's fine if I skip the gym this week, I'm really tired." Then suddenly you've gained back half the weight.

At least, that's what keeps happening to me :blushing: And many others, I've read. It's a learning process. I'm not logging any more and I'm doing great at keeping the unwanted pounds off this time around. But it took a couple of times!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My first time, I dropped a bunch of weight with tons of exercise and crazy low net calories. I looked fabulous. I didn't suffer. Then I tried to maintain. I didn't gain it all back but I did struggle for a long time.
    I think that is why a lot of people struggle at maintenance (not everyone) - I see tons of people doing the same thing. I've been there. Yeah, you lose weight but its not easy to maintain. That is why I am now very vocal about modest calorie deficits and workouts that you can continue to do.
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    'Maintenance' is a myth. The very concept defies the natural laws that govern the universe.

It is simply itme to set a new or different goal. The rest will take care of itself.
  • Lennonluv2
    Options
    'Maintenance' is a myth. The very concept defies the natural laws that govern the universe.

It is simply itme to set a new or different goal. The rest will take care of itself.

Wow, I love this. Sounds like a plan.