Strength Training Question..

Options
I've been on this journey about two years now with diet and cardio and have in recent months added strength training. I definitely see the differences in my body and muscle composition and am loving it! My question for those experienced weight trainers out there is how does this factor into calorie burn at all?? Does it? For instance, when I put my lifting exercises into the diary, it doesn't really change anything or accounts for anything, other than having done it. Does it burn any calories?

Replies

• BeSexy
    Options
    Yes!!! The more muscle you have the more calories you burn even at rest! Be sure to get protein after your strength training workouts to refuel the muscles! Keep at it! Good Job! Strength training rules!!!
  • FlashBang
    Options
    Calculating calories burned is very complicated when it comes to weight training. If you do it aerobically, move from one exercise to the other keeping your heart rate up, you can use an HRM to log the calories and enter it as cardio.
  • algiampolo
    Options
    There is "strength training" under the cardiovascular section.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Thanks, FlashBang. I think you're the one that understood what I was asking. Is the amount of calories so insignificant (ie: under 100 calories) that it's not worth trying to figure out, do you know?
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I wore a HRM for lifting and would burn near 400 cals.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    you have to put how long you were weight training and it puts how many calories you burned ok..
  • bbygrl5
    Options
    @DHalaby73: It actually doesn't account for it in the system, believe it or not, I think it's because there are too many variables. All it lets you do is put in sets, reps, and weights.. it never calculates anything.

@astridfeline: thanks! ..that at least tells me that depending on how I'm doing them, a significant amount of calories can be burned. I guess I should invest in a HRM for the most accurate results for me.

I appreciate the input, everyone! :)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Put the strength training under 'cardio' in your exercise section and it will calculate calories for you. The strength section is simply for record keeping. I log about 100 calories each 30 minute weight lifting session (I bet it's more, but thats what MFP gives me).
  • bbygrl5
    Options
    Oooo!! Thank you! I'll try that next time. :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Calculating calories burned is very complicated when it comes to weight training. If you do it aerobically, move from one exercise to the other keeping your heart rate up, you can use an HRM to log the calories and enter it as cardio.

Your first part was correct--calculating calories with strength training is complicated (so many variables in fact that it cannot be done). However HRMs are useless for calculating calories burned during strength workouts. The increased HR that occurs with strength training has no relationship to VO2 the way it does during aerobic exercise, and this makes those calorie numbers a complete fantasy.