50 Something and I need alittle help from some friends

Options

Replies

• Dianafrance8
    Dianafrance8 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm 50 and I can so relate to your story .

Between networking with amazing like-minded friends and logging all my food, MFP has been a great help for my healthy journey.

I love to welcome new friends,
    Diana
  • jackiefrost33
    Options
    This is to all.... I am 40 and have over 100 pounds to lose. I have tried all the diets and tried MFP before but didn't stick with it either. I determined this time and for health reasons need to get this weight off. I think the more friends in the same situations are the best to have. They can understand the ups and downs of trying to lose weight so much better. I will accept anyone as friend. The more the merrier!!! Lets do this!!!!
  • Stevehand
    Stevehand Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Stephen i am 34,joined so I can monitor what I eat, and finally do what I'd planned to after Xmas by lose some weight.

Hopefully the app will help, my goal is to lose 1.5 stone and generally get fitter.

Feel free to add, I could do with any encouragement
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I believe logging makes the difference,I gained 14 lbs over the holidays last yr. Got it off, had to buckle down. Support helps. Add me if you want.
  • cindy859
    cindy859 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You have certainly come to the right place for support, I think you will find that friends will make a huge difference in how you will feel about staying on track. Add me if you would like--we can keep each other accountable!
  • bugsychipr
    bugsychipr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Hi! I am Darla. You can add me if you like. I am 60 and also need help to be accountable. I have tried every diet under the sun plus hypnosis. Difference now is before I wanted to lose weight and now I am motivated to. I am amazed how much my eating habits have changed since tracking my daily intake. I had no idea I was getting so much sodium either. Starting weight was 425 and now I am at 403. If I can do it--we can do it together. I live in Florida and am using swimming right now as my major exercise. I take weights to the pool to also do some of those exercises in the water. Also. now I am looking at every label to see serving size. One of the things I love about this site, when you put in your exercise it tells you how many more calories you can eat or how many you are over. I find it an aid for planning those times when friends come over or eating out. Dieters are always told to use a smaller dining plate. So am doing that for the first time also. My big motivator is finding out I am pre-diabetic. By losing weight and improving eating habits I can change my outcome.

Every function of the body requires water. Most of us don't get near enough water daily. I am not a big water drinker so I began adding a squirt of lemon or lime juice to the ice water. The formula to show you how much water your body requires daily is easy. Divide your weight in half. Divide that number by 8 which is 8 oz. On a liquid measuring cup it shows you 1 cup is 8 oz. So my weight of 403 divided in half = 202. 202 divided by 8 = 25 cups I need to drink a day. That sounds like a lot. Here in Florida Walmart sells 26oz insulated drinking cups with tops like a kids sippy cup. Lift up the straw to drink then push it back down after the drink. I take my 'sippy cup' with me where ever I am. If you are doing anything that makes you sweat you need to increase your fluid intake. Sugar blocks water absorption so sugar drinks do not count in the daily fluid intake. When grieving, you never know when a wave of grief will hit you and I am sure you have cried bushels. So for those times you need to up your water intake.

I tried to add a coffee drinking smiley at the beginning. All I see is the word drinker. If that is what comes out I don't drink alcohol!
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT... IT'S EASY...
  • Ccampbell21
    Ccampbell21 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi Stephanie,
    I am going to be 49 next month and my goal is 50 pounds off by 50. So far I have lost 9 pounds and have been stuck on the same weight for a month. ;( I too slip up and say I will start again on Monday. I would love some motivation and support too. Please feel free to friend me too!
  • Doxeydoxie
    Doxeydoxie Posts: 75
    Options
    Hey..60 yrs old and would love to add you if you'd like. Just drop me a friend request.
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'll be 51 in a matter of days. I am possibly in better shape than I have ever been! I do dinner theatre and all of the fun female parts were drying up for me as I gained weight so I joined MFP and have discovered the new 'hot' me! Parts are coming back in! Please feel free to friend me. :flowerforyou:
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Stephanie and I'm actually 54. I have tried using MFP a couple of times to track and lose but after while I stop tracking. I've used WW online a couple of time but I do the same thing. Lose some, gain it back.

I mess up then overeat even more making excuses and thinking, "I'll start again Monday" But it's getting harder and harder, and the last six months I've gained fifteen more pounds.

I have always tried to do this on my own, so I never used the message board for support before. I need to become accountable and I need a little help from some new friends.

Thanks

Stephanie, becoming accountable starts with understanding the underlying problem and having a framework to solve it. MFP can help with some cheering and occasional knowledge sharing.

I would recommend watching David A. Kessler - The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0rFEbGYnEE .

If that is too much work for you (at the moment) then here is my summary:

1) "Sugar (including artificial sweeteners), fat and salt a highly stimulating and reinforcing [of bad habits]."
    2) "We are living in a food carnival"
    3) "We are eating adult baby food"
    4) "We are just self-stimulating and eating for reward"
    5) "Depriving oneself of foods one 'wants' doesnt work and is only self torment."
    6) "Food choices need to emotionally resonate or will be rejected. Knowledge not enough." -
    7) Its not about "knowing" what is bad. A "critical perceptual shift" (at emotional level), a visceral reaction, is required to change ones habits. Around 30:00 in link
    8) "If one understands whats driving overeating, then one will understand whats driving anxieties depressions phobias overeating etc because these are the same brain circuits that get triggered" (as other opioid stimulus/reward brain responses)
    9) "We need to change how we respond to queues by changes to who we are" [lifestyle change]"
    10) "Unless we change how we look at food, we will never change our neural circuitry"

If you want to me long lasting changes to your diet and health, then a life style change incorporating the above knowledge is essential to your success.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!!
  • Budgirl2455
    Budgirl2455 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Stephanie,
    First of all I think it helps to fill out the profile about yourself and why you want to lose weight. With just blanks there is nothing to look back on as a guide. I see alot skip this part as well as keeping track of the water consumed. I am 58 and have lost 43 pounds by also logging daily. Each meal, everything that goes in my mouth be it good or bad. Keep your meal plan open to your friends you have added for accountability. It helps me see what others are eating for meals to get idea's what to eat myself. I do not review and say "whoa....to much fast food going on there" or "your not eating enough". It's a journey and getting there will be different for each person because the same thing does not work for everyone. I also use a Fitbit one to monitor my steps and burning of calories. I never eat back the additional calories. I may go over 20 -40 calories ( 1200 calories for me a day). I am not into exercise. Hate to sweat but just from being active you will burn calories. I will say I have had some added friends that I requested but deleted after seeing they were not logging daily. I am passionate about that. If you do that you will learn how to manage your foods withing your range and you will see a loss of weight. When you see your weight dropping and see progress you will become more commited. Even if you cheat or have a bad day LOG the food eaten !!! You can do this, no magic involved just you and your honesty with yourself. Accountability from just knowing your meals are open to public or your added friends whatever you chose. Good luck ~ You can do this :smile:
  • RobinB0812
    RobinB0812 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and new to MFP also. About 7 years ago I lost 70 pounds with more still to go. It was during the infancy of the digital "app" age so I logged and tracked in a pocket calendar. My doctor always told me, "calories in, calories out" so it's vital to log.
    I was excited that I was finally fit enough to play some coed softball. Then it happened, I broke my tibia plateau!! While being laid up for 9 weeks and with ZERO exercise, all my old eating habits came rushing back and so did ALL the weight PLUS 10!!

So now I find myself at square one! I would LOVE some friends for the journey!

All friend requests welcome!! :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • GrandMaKandy
    GrandMaKandy Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Logging is the key for me It makes me accountable not only to myself but also I feel I owe it to the support I have on MPF....
    I've sent you a request
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Look for this topic: WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2013 - part 2

Great group of very supportive women - join in! :happy:
  • luiescott
    luiescott Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Just turned 55, and loving every cent of those "senior discounts"! I have struggled with my weight on and off for the last couple of decades, but have struggled the most this past year when my body murdered my thyroid. Although it is slow going, the weight is coming off. Praise God! MFP has been just what I needed, when I needed it. I think you will find lots of support and encouragement here, as well as a HUGE database of food to help you log in every bite that goes into your mouth.

Feel free to add me. I'd love to cheer you on!
  • mathey96
    mathey96 Posts: 4
    Options
    I just wrote a blog saying the same thing! When I get discouraged, I start eating all the stuff I used to it and tell myself, Monday... You're not alone!
  • suemichele
    suemichele Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi Stephanie,

I am 55 and with menopause going on and also having a stressful job it can be a challenge to lose pounds. I usually log everyday and feel free to add me!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Hi Stephanie, I'm 58 and turning 59 in a week.. OMG how on earth did that happen? ... anyway I log daily and think this a great site with fabulous people. I'll send you a FR. Good luck and you'll be happy your joined!
  • ckone4me
    ckone4me Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You all can add me tooooo if you like. I am 52 and have lsot 33lbs since March! I like to give support!