Kind of a newbie

Options
Hi everyone. This is my first post on the message board, so I thought I would introduce myself. I'm 24 and I've been a vegetarian for 7 years now. So far I am loving this site and sign on daily (11 so far I think). I love that it allows me to tract my iron and protein - so I know I've been doing a good job of keeping myself balanced. Anyways, my main goal is to lose 10 pounds to reach the 120 I was at before I took a 2 year college course that had me eating too much fat and always sitting around studying. I have found, since I've made more of a commitment to the gym and heathy eating that I am able to focus much better at work and have a brighter attitude all around. What I want to know is... why is everyone assuming it is unhealthy for me to lose ten pounds and tone up. I find that when I mention my new eating habits (which include 1500 - 1700 calories per day - and I've eaten more than that too) that people around me are telling me it's unnecessary. I don't expect to see a big difference, I just want to be more toned and fit into the jeans I got just before I started school. Is this unreasonable? I'm 5 foot 3.5 inches, I would still be at a good zone for BMI because I was before when I weighed that. Should I really be listening to people who are telling me that at my age my metabolism is changing and I might just have to get used to the fact that I will have a bit of a rounding tummy?

Replies

• mkpeacock
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!!
  • deanna324
    deanna324 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the negative ppl. If you are uncomfortable with the extra 10 pounds, then you shouldn't resign yourself to the fact that age is just going to take it's toll.
  • byrdhouse2006
    Options
    I think the fact that you are changing your lifestyle to be much more healthier than it was in the past is a super good thing. As long as you aren't doing anything that is unhealthy or self-destructive then I think you are ok. By the way, I wish I had the metabolism of a 24 year old :) Once you hit 40 it gets harder to lose the weight. Stay positive and keep focused on doing the healthy thing :)
  • Prohaska
    Options
    I love your goal Deanna324.....AWESOME!:happy: :happy:
  • Prohaska
    Options
    This is my FIRST day on this sight and my FIRST day posting. My name is Susan and I would like tolose 15-20 pounds.....I am not sure how or where to get my wight loss ticker from so I guess that will have to waitor should I say weight...lol. anyway I hope to make new friends and pass on encouraging words to others when needed......