Two a day workout?

Options
Hi everyone!

New to this board and to fitnesspal. I'm 22 and going to start a workout regimen today, and I would love some feedback.

Would it be too straining for me to do 30 min morning jogs/walk, and then after work, I would go to cross training/kickboxing fitness classes? It would be about 5 days a week, and the weekends will be my time to tone it down and only do one workout.

My morning jogs would be a mix of jog/walking - I'm just trying to build up my endurance and try to start the day off right. And in the event that something comes up after work - at least I would've gotten some workout in.

And then after class - I would go to a local Krav Maga gym where I would do 45-60 min cross training or kickboxing classes.

I used to be athletic in high school, and just kind of honestly got lazy in college. I gained about 20 lbs over the course of 4 years of college. Now trying to lose that weight + some.

Current Weight: 138
Goal: 108
Height: 5'0

Replies

• lilylovesyou108
    Options
    Also - if you have done two a day workouts - can you share your experience?
  • lilylovesyou108
    Options
    -
  • kijoneko
    kijoneko Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan to me. :)

Your plan is pretty similar to the way I work out. I'll run/cycle before work then go to the gym when I finish. All too often things come up in the evening which stop me working out (and my motivation seems to be non existent after a certain time!).

I'd guess since you have an athletic background your fitness level should increase quite quickly, plus you will know if you are pushing yourself too far too soon.

Good luck :)
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Nah. Although, let me warn you, as long you're eating adequately, you will be great. I did this during my first two weeks and felt like utter misery. I then started a more doable routine and recalculate my macros and now im golden.
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I did two a days every day in high school when the sport I played was in season. I'm in my 30's now and I did two workouts a day every day this week. It felt pretty good, but I am beat! I'll probably just do one workout tomorrow. But seeing as you're in your early 20's, I'd say you shouldn't have a problem at all with this. I'll second the eating thing, too.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    you'll be fine. be sure to get an adequate amount of calories or you'll be exhausted all the time
    Also - if you have done two a day workouts - can you share your experience?

my experience is that i worked out each day. twice. and showered twice. at least. and was hungry. lots.
  • playacabo
    playacabo Posts: 2
    Options
    If you are motivated then I say do it. I did it for about a month earlier this year but then started to get bored with double workouts. I know stick with morning only workouts.
  • StephanieE3456
    StephanieE3456 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think that's a good plan. I exercise twice a day 5 days a week. Saturday I just run and Sunday is my rest day. Today I did one hour of Zumba followed by 1 hour of Step and then tonight I did strength training. I don't usually do 2 cardio sessions like that back to back but I had the energy so I went for it.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Nah. Although, let me warn you, as long you're eating adequately, you will be great. I did this during my first two weeks and felt like utter misery. I then started a more doable routine and recalculate my macros and now im golden.

THis right here. If you can hack 2 workouts a day - and eat properly for it - go for it. Just make sure you take care of your body while you're doing it - don't want to burn out.
  • lilylovesyou108
    Options
    Sounds great! Thank you everyone for the feedback! I definitely intend on eating well and keeping track of my diet as well as my workouts.
  • DeniseGiles
    Options
    Ahhh, the results you will see. In Ironman, we call the back-to-back workouts a "brick" workout. Very challenging! I am 51 and work with a trainer who "Coaches" for success. I will say,speaking from experience, everyone is different. Monitor your energy levels and fatigue. Your body will definitely let you know when it needs rest - when its yelling at you, rest! Until then go,go,go! Training and or exercising outdoors in the heat will tend to fatigue you a little faster. As always, like many of the other responses stated make sure you are taking in proper nutrition and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I have found the new Zico coconut water to be a new, low calorie fun way to hydrate the body- it's an acquired taste! Two a days can provide you with a wonderful feeling of accomplishment. I'm one that loves seeing how far I can push my body and to what extremes. Who knows, maybe you'll be our next Ironman. Www.ironman.com
  • lilylovesyou108
    Options
    Just a quick question then - according to the fitnesspal account and some of the FAQ/posts I've seen on the board - when I log in my exercise for these two a days - I should be eating the exercise calories, right?

When I plug the exercise in - the amount of calories I have left to eat goes back up for the day. And I should eat these calories?

It won't cancel out the workout I would've just had?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    yes, eat the calories. the deficit needed to lose weight is already figured in so exercise cals must be eaten or you risk a deficit too large to maintain LBM.
  • kate21797
    kate21797 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I do this on a regular basis. Cross country running for anywhere from 30 minutes to 60 minutes in the afternoon, and then a 45 minute martial arts class later in the evening. Just make sure you stay hydrated and get something to eat in between. Though sometimes if I'm really sore after the running, I'll skip the martial arts that night and go on a different night instead.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    When I was in my 20s I would workout at lunch and free work, basically I think to avoid going home to my husband who I later divorced. :)

No I will often do a workout video in the afternoon and then go figure skating in the evening. I find in the dive exercise days I have a ton of energy and feel amazing.
  • Aliviuum
    Aliviuum Posts: 67
    Options
    I've done Power90 (Tony Horton) and 30 Day Shred (Jillian Michaels) together before and I literally felt like death for two weeks. I'm currently doing Power90 (love it!) and making better choices when it comes to what I eat and I'm feeling great :)
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    As long as you can physically handle it. If you get tired you may want to cut back a little.

I work midnights. I like to run/walk 3.5 miles before going to bed ( or hit the Eliptical depending on my mood)
    I have Zumba 2 times a week and Karate one day. I like to take the kids out the other two leaving Sat and Sun for rest days.