is anybody annoyed by big arms?

Options
I feel like my body would be descent but when I look at my arms in the mirror around my upper arm area I just lose confidence. It annoys me so much and my face has become a bit more rounded than it used to be. I have dimples and I never did before.

Replies

• AngChambers06
    AngChambers06 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    yeah I really hope to tone and reduce the size of my arms. That was a problem for me even when I was skinner I had bigger arms and issues with dress shirts fitting etc. its super annoying, but if they were at least toned it would be less annoying lol

have u tried the shake weight? I have one, i'll be honest ive not used it like i should be but when I do i can feel it working!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've been doing strength training in addition to cardio for that problem. My upper arms are still a bit flabby compared to the rest of me, but they've improved so much in the past month and a half that I've been doing some serious strength training. I have bicep and triceps and I'm starting to see muscle definition. When I flex my arms, the flabby skin nearly goes away. Even just lifting a few days a week, or doing a set of pushups every day, will really help with them.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I am just annoyed with Big EVERYTHING......:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • AngChambers06
    Options
    I am just annoyed with Big EVERYTHING......:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

arms i can handle.... better than my giant spare tire lol it pretty much ruins most outfits
  • AmenoKaji
    AmenoKaji Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Just do your best to reduce your overallweight and start lifting heavier weights (don't forget to up your protein) so you can start building/toning your arm muscles, and you'll be rewarded with defined arms overtime.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I definitely had the spare tire issue. See my most recent before and during blog post to see what I mean... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/who-doesn-t-love-before-and-during-pictures-38216

It's nearly gone and I'm in size 10 pants. And my biggest suggestion is CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO! Cardio is the best way to burn fat all over, since you can't focus on a spot to reduce fat there. I started with the elliptical, then I moved on to the Couch to 5K program and now I can comfortably run a mile. It's really helped bring down my body fat, and I'm eating a higher protein diet. Both together should help you get rid of the spare tire, flabby arms, etc. :)
  • bcookmc
    Options
    Hi there, I just wanted to say that I also have big arms and it bugs me too. I try not to think about it but its hard when you put a tank top or nice blouse on and look at yourself in mirror and end up changing a million times because you don't like the way it looks. I only where tanks at home because I'm not confident enough to where them out in public and I hate feeling that way about myself. I've also been doing toning exercises but nothing yet. :ohwell: I'll keep trying, I'm sure I'll see a difference soon.
  • AngChambers06
    Options
    I definitely had the spare tire issue. See my most recent before and during blog post to see what I mean... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/who-doesn-t-love-before-and-during-pictures-38216

It's nearly gone and I'm in size 10 pants. And my biggest suggestion is CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO! Cardio is the best way to burn fat all over, since you can't focus on a spot to reduce fat there. I started with the elliptical, then I moved on to the Couch to 5K program and now I can comfortably run a mile. It's really helped bring down my body fat, and I'm eating a higher protein diet. Both together should help you get rid of the spare tire, flabby arms, etc. :)

wow congrats thats great :) The last time I saw size 10 pants was probably 2002/2003! :(
  • AngChambers06
    Options
    Hi there, I just wanted to say that I also have big arms and it bugs me too. I try not to think about it but its hard when you put a tank top or nice blouse on and look at yourself in mirror and end up changing a million times because you don't like the way it looks. I only where tanks at home because I'm not confident enough to where them out in public and I hate feeling that way about myself. I've also been doing toning exercises but nothing yet. :ohwell: I'll keep trying, I'm sure I'll see a difference soon.

I would suggest measuring! That way you can see progress via inch reduction and it would really help motivate :)
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    i always joked and said if i ended up with saggy arms, id just build up enough muscle to make the skin tight again. sad thing is, i'd probably end up looking like Chyna from wrestling. LOL
  • french13
    french13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    no, actually the shake weight sounds like a good idea. I might try it. I remember seeing about it when I was in non exercise mode before, but now I might give it a try. Yeah though I definitely had a tire problem too. It seems to be fading but I still have my belly pouch. I've actually had a couple of people come up to me before I started to lose weight and they asked if I was pregnant. It was sooooo embarrassing. When it happened like the 5th time that's when I had enough. The other 4 times someone asked me I just laughed it off and said "no, i'm just fat" but the 5th time it happened it was one of my boyfriend's friend's mom who had a big attitude and hated me and my boyfriend for no apparent reason and I just went off on her. Plus I was drinking that night. Then the next time I drank I had a breakdown. I just started crying and crying and couldn't stop. Even though it was just me, my boyfriend, and my boyfriend's friend I still felt embarrassed the next day, but the way I felt those 2 times are what led to me getting off the couch and on my feet so in a way I'm kind of glad that happened. I remember when all I used to worry about was my hair not looking good. Now I don't give a crap about my hair as much as my weight and I felt like I took my thinness for granted. I'm definitely prepared for this weight loss journey if/when I reach my goal weight I hope I inspire others who have weight issues to take that journey as well.
  • french13
    Options
    sad thing is, i'd probably end up looking like Chyna from wrestling. LOL

lol
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    lol, you with your shake weight, me with my chyna arms.....we'd make for an interesting night out on the town. LMAO!! :drinker:
  • french13
    Options
    lol, you with your shake weight, me with my chyna arms.....we'd make for an interesting night out on the town. LMAO!! :drinker:

hell yeah. lmao.
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have huge fat rolls on my arms. Shirts don't fit. I wear big, baggy shirts to hide my fat rolls on my upper arms. I don't have fat rolls on my waist and could actually wear a smaller shirt size. My arms look like sausages stuffed into shirts if I don't wear something baggy. I had lost 70 pounds on an 800 calorie diet from my doctor. I put about 50 back on, most of that one my arms.
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    isnt it weird how our bodies do that to us? how cruel. it wouldnt be so bad if it was evenly dispersed. but no, we go and store it all in inconvenient spots. i happen to carry mine in my stomach. oooh ya, nothing like a sweet sexy drop gut. lol i wish i could just hack it off. or trade it for a big butt. then at least i wouldnt have to look at it or see it without making an effort.:laugh:
  • french13
    Options
    well I have the big butt but I could do without it....maybe distribute a little fat here and there from my butt and stomach to my boobs. I'd rather weigh alot because of ginormous boobs than because of a droopy stomach. lol. Actually celerystalker....everytime I read on the internet that you can't go under your calories or your body will go into starvation mode and store fat I just get so mad at my body. I just wish I could suck all the fat out sometimes and just tell my stomach "what now, now there's no more stored fat, hah". lol. :laugh: The whole stomach fat bothers me and my arm fat and my double chin. -__-
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Don't get too worried about that starvation mode stuff. For starvation mode to kick in, (according to the ONE study done in the 1940's with lean men), it kicks in when you eat at less than 50% of your lean body resting metabolic rate. Then, it has to be sustained over weeks at a time. In the study, the men's metabolism slowed down but not enough to stop weight loss. The theory is that if you have stored fat, that your metabolic slow down will be much less than that of the lean men in the study.

My big weight loss was eating no more than 800 calories per day, plus vitamins. The 70 pounds I lost were gone in less than 6 months. The weight loss was slower at the end, perhaps due to a reduction in metabolism. But, it took a few months to get to that point. After my bike accident, I put about 50 pounds back on. Getting it back off is slow work because I am still not active. When I ate 800 per day, I was working as a Walgreens pharmacist and was on my feet for 10 hours a day running around. Now, I work in a hospital and sit on my butt and watch my arms get fatter.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I hate my arms. I figure they probably aren't as bad as I think they are, but perception is what counts.

I try to remember to do pushups a few times a week and I do yoga, so hopefully, that will help!
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    God yes! :-(

My starting weight was 265, my goal weight is 130 and I am currently at 155.6. I used to wear sizes 22/24s (and sometimes 26s even...and I'm short... around 5'2"). I now wear a 10 and mostly L tops (because of my boobs and my tummy...bummer) but every now and then can fit into an M top.

I do a toning sculpting class twice a week and try to strength train on my own at least once a week and I KNOW I need to up it. While I've developed nice calf and bicep muscles, my inner thighs and triceps (in addition to my belly) are my main problem areas. If it weren't for Spanx or other "suck in the gut underwear", I could not feel confidant in my clothes.

I will probably have to add more weight training in order to get better results. I just admit, I don't like it. I still feel like a "fat girl" when I'm in the weight room or even in the machine section. But I can knock out cardio like a rock star ;-) I even have some dvds but I just don't do them. I'll get my butt in gear! I have to ;-)