Question about diet

Options
Just to be clear, this is not me "promoting" a diet in any way whatsoever. I am just curious if it is good to "detoxify" the body or otherwise known as a cleanse. A friend of mine told me it worked wonders for her and it helped her focus more on what foods she didn't need to eat and it made her feel more energetic than she did before the cleanse. She only did the 24 hour cleanse though. My question basically is if it is a good idea to do a cleanse or would it do more harm to the body in the long run?

Replies

• mammakat0830
    mammakat0830 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've read posts on both. I think it comes down to personal preference. I am not sure if someone with more knowledge can give some info on the "science" behind it. I didn't do any sort of detox.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    These are my thoughts - your body is pre-pregrammed to maintain homeostasis and self regulate. You do not need to cleanse a regulated system, it does it already with your regular excretory processes. You don't need to help it along, it's evolved to take care of itself. However, some people like them for the temporary effects they experience. Some people like them because generally they involve a measure of self control you have to exercise over yourself to stick with it. If you're going to try it, you need to educate yourself on what exactly your specific cleanse entails and what it will accomplish for you in the long term. That being said taking cleansing to an extreme level can produce negative effects.