Does having more MFP friends help you?

Hi All,

I've been a member for a few years but not consistent. I'm getting back in and I wanted to ask those that are having success and who have been consistent, does having more friends help you? I'm not saying I want hundreds of friends because I try to engage and respond to posts. I've tried to friend people that mean business. Would like to hear your thoughts. :-)

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    I like having a decent amount of friends so my feed always has stuff to comment on, lol. Too many, though, and you can miss stuff. There would have to be a balance, but I suppose it depends on the person and their activity level (as in, how active they are on MFP, not exercise-wise. xD).
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    I used to just accept everyone. I was getting close to 500 friends before I decided to cut a ton of them. It was too much to maintain for me and most of them never come back after a week or even a month of being here anyway.

I now have 140 friends who are each all on my list for a specific reason.
  • I think I prefer having a more moderate number of friends so I can really encourage them and follow what they are doing.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,658 Member
    Well that depends on if you end up doing all the supporting comments and most of them doing nothing to support you see.

Those are the ones I delete, the rest are diamonds.

Ensure you surround yourself with likeminded people and all goes well :wink:
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    nope. i'd rather have 1 awesome friend than 100 people who just show up on my news feed.
  • krislyn84
    krislyn84 Posts: 337 Member
    nope. i'd rather have 1 awesome friend than 100 people who just show up on my news feed.

Agreed. I keep my FL small so I can interact with all of them. And because 99% of MFP finds me offensive.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    quality over quantity....
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,658 Member

Agreed. I keep my FL small so I can interact with all of them. And because 99% of MFP finds me offensive.

Not as offensive as MFP finds me I would wager :laugh:
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 269 Member
    I currently have around 60 and shrinking as folks drop off. Of course not all post anything other than exercise and diaries, or nothing at all. But the ones who are socially active on my list make a big difference to me. Its not all fitness and weight all the time which to me is great. However there is always that mutual understanding of what someone is trying to achieve and going through. The help is always there when you need it. Anyway, if it weren't for a decent friends list, I doubt I would still be here.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    it can surely help, I need my mfp friends but there has to be a limit if I get too many , I feel bad that I cant be actively supportive back and everyone deserves that if they are on my list, so I will delete anyone who is hasn't log in over 30 days and or just never comments at all.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Even with hundreds of friends, they still come and go. You can't have too many.
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    I agree with Laura (one of my Pals! :tongue: ) that friends are certainly helpful and can create some accountability when you diary is open for friends to read. I also agree that too many are hard to keep up with and an inactivity of 30 days or more (without explanation) usually results in me deleting those that are no longer there and supportive.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    And what reason it that? LOL
  • MrsGrinde
    MrsGrinde Posts: 8
    It's always nice to have friends on any program. However, I chose to have people that are really serious about doing what they can to get to a healthier place. That to me gives motivation, encouragement and helps when you have questions about food, fitness, habits, etc. I'd rather have a small handful of friends rather that 100's.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    I would say its a quality thing, not quantity. I have gradually cut my list down, as I have discovered who reciprocates support/encouragement, & who does not. I now have a shorter lists, but have developed true friendships with the friends I have. They have been a tremendous help to me along the way. To be honest, I never expected that when I joined MFP! I just liked having the good journal.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    My MFP friends are the best. They're dedicated, supportive, fun, and they even laugh at my jokes (even the bad ones!). They're quite helpful and some of my favorite people.
  • MercedesV
    MercedesV Posts: 70 Member
    I love everyone's feedback. Super helpful!

Thank you all!