What have you learned?

Options
What have you learned in your weight loss journey? I ask this for my edification as well as for yours, hopefully. I feel I am having a bit of a setback and this is particularly frustrating since I feel like i've been on this weight loss journey forever with very little physical results (lots of fluctuation). So, my hope is that hearing a little about what others have experienced will help me, too. Thanks!

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I've learned that it's slow and difficult. Maintaining is easy, losing is not. I've also learned that for my body, I can eat my sugars, but I have to watch my sodium. I've also learned that portion sizes are A LOT smaller than what I thought they were. I know I'll have good weeks and bad weeks, but I know that as long as I keep trying, I'm making headway. I look forward to the day when it's just maintaining a healthy weight though. It is worth it, but it's so difficult! Especially when your husband whose 10 inches taller than you stuffs his face with all kinds of yummies that you want!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Bread, rice, potatoes, milk, orange juice, butter, and cream have a LOT of calories.
    Veggies don't.
    Meat has way fewer than I thought.

It is possible to get back to the weight I was when I got married 30 years ago.

I feel better when I am thinner and I enjoy food more when I eat things that taste really good, but less of them.

54 year old women can still turn heads.
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i have learned that good things come in packages the size of ME :wink:
    i have learned to love my body no matter what phase of losing i'm in.
    i have learned to eat healthy foods, but that eating a do-nut won't cause me to gain back all the weight i've lost.
    i have learned to be PROUD of the choices i make, especially when it includes running, swimming or biking.
    i have learned that at the end of the day, no matter what i've done or how i've "messed up" - there is always tomorrow :flowerforyou:
  • mammakat0830
    mammakat0830 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've learned that:
    1. You have to educate yourself to make better choices
    2. I thought it was about weight, but it changed to be about fitness and becoming healthier- for me that is the motivation to keep it up!
    3. Even when the process is slow, persistence and dedication pay off- and the rewards are so much more valuable becasue of the time and effort (my journey has been at snail pace, lol)
    4. Having social support (My MFP friends rock!), is an important part for me
    5. I have to give myself credit for my efforts, dedication and comittment- through hard times it is hard to do and easy to forget
  • mtnhiker1
    mtnhiker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Counting calories works for me.
  • broscientist
    broscientist Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Exercise to lose weight is overrated.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    1. I don't need all that much food.
    2. I learned I can take my time and really enjoy every meal I have.
    3. I feel better when I eat a balanced diet.
    4. Exercise really does make me feel good!
    5. I LOVE MFP.....it is a tool that helps me stay on track.
    6. I LOVE DietBet....it helps me to stay on track.
    7. It is OK to "blow" my diet every one in a while. When I do I plan for it, I enjoy it, and move on!
  • Marina809
    Marina809 Posts: 38
    Options
    I learned that a medium (12oz) bag of M&M's has 1760 calories. My weakness... I can eat everyone of those little chocolate morsels in one day and often have. RIP M&M's,
  • shawnatheobald
    Options
    I have learned that staying within calorie goals is easier than truly eating healthy. To do both takes a little work.

Gas stations, fast food, and other convenience food places have little to offer someone like me.

Going over my calories for the day does not mean I failed. It just means that tomorrow I might need to do things a little differently.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Keep posting your food. It really works and contributes to success. I have a tier system. 1st tier: eat healthy, 2nd tier: fit in whatever I'm eating to be within by carb and/or calorie goals, 3rd tier: accepting that overages will occur

I like aqua's reply so much, I feel it is worth reposting.
    I've learned that it's slow and difficult. Maintaining is easy, losing is not. I know I'll have good weeks and bad weeks, but I know that as long as I keep trying, I'm making headway. It is worth it, but it's so difficult!
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    1. be patient, you need to play the long game
    2. weigh your damn food, don't guess
    3. weight loss begets more weight loss
    4. you will not die / go in starvation mode if you fast for 24 hours
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I've learned an awful lot.

1. When you screw up, and you will because we all do (one of the joys of being human), don't beat yourself up. All that does is leave you black and blue. And discouraged. Making mistakes isn't what defeats us. It's giving up and not overcoming those mistakes. Saying "I screwed up" and laughing about it helps.

2. Planning ahead works. I normally have my daily diary entered by breakfast. That way I know what I will be eating for the rest of the day. I make changes as the situation dictates, but it gives me a good roadmap to go off of.

3. Your friends at MFP can encourage you. And when you encourage them, that process encourage you in and of itself.

4. Even at the age of 57, with 2 artificial hips and 1 artificial knee, I can do damned near anything I put my mind to. If I can do all this with all this Titanium in my body, others should be able to as well.

5. It's okay to treat yourself once in a while.

6. Read as much as you can, and take everything you read with a box of salt. Getting new ideas is a good thing. No one knows everything.

7. Be prepared to laugh at yourself every once in a while. Enjoy life. Losing weight isn't some sort of grand cosmic punishment that we are sentenced to for all eternity. If you want to lose 20 pounds in 10 weeks and it takes you 15 weeks instead, is it really that big of a loss in the grand scheme of things?

Just a few of the things that pop into my head at the moment.