New to MFP but Amazing things already happening

Options
Hello everyone. I don't typically share things like this publicly, but I'm so thrilled that I have to SHARE this.
I have been fighting PCOS (It's a girl thing and I have that on top of Hashimotos and Graves - weird combo, I know) for 11 years with no success. We tried BCP, which turned me into a lunatic. We also tried Metformin which turned me in to a whole different catatonic mess. Nothing was working. For the past few years, the ultrasounds of my ovaries have looked like sacks of marbles. It has been frustrating to say the least.

Welllllllll........... In January of 2013, I decided to stop eating wheat as I had suspected that I had a sensitivity to it. I gave my self 6 months of that being my only dietary requirement.... I allowed myself to eat anything I wanted and in any quantity as long as it did not have any wheat. If I cheated, my stomach paid me back in a painful manner. I started this at a weight of 178 lbs at 5'3". With in the first couple of months I dropped 10 lbs easily while my calorie counts were too high. I gave myself that 6 months for two reasons, when I usually try to go on a diet, I get cranky and then end up rebelling and killing the diet. Those 6 months were to only adjust my tastes and discover foods without wheat that I could love just as much.

A few weeks ago, my hubby told me about the MFP app and I've been doing that as well... still no wheat. Today I crossed the 20lb loss mark. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So thrilled and ready to keep going. It has been very easy. I have allowed my self the time to make one drastic change and adjust to it at a time. This is not a diet for me, it's a long term lifestyle change and I'm loving it.

THE BEST NEWS...... I went to the doctor yesterday and the ultrasound of my ovaries shows perfectly healthy and normal ovaries. Maybe for the first time in my adult life. I promise you it was the wheat because I am not on any medication to treat that condition and had lost weight before (30 lbs in a month when my graves disease was active) and still had PCOS.

I beg each of you to look into wheat and do as much research as you can. Try eliminating it and see how you do. I has done wonders for me.

Good luck everyone!

Replies

• gbrundagebrunker
    gbrundagebrunker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you are on the mend! I stopped eating wheat when I started to gain weight simply because avoidance is easier for me than moderation and I LOVE bread and crackers. Within just a few days, the hot flashes that I had been experiencing for the previous 6 months stopped altogether. Totally unexpected, fabulous side-effect. There is something about wheat protein . . .
  • dee_nc
    dee_nc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Did you exclude wheat and gluten or just wheat?
  • efitterp
    efitterp Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!