Can too much protein make you gain weight?

Options
Or muscle? Even if you don't exercise and are within your calorie intake?
I feel like my arms look bulkier lately although I haven't gained weight, but I have upped my protein intake. And I do not exercise.

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a deficit, you are not going to be building muscle, particularly with no resistance training. If you have been sucessfully burning fat, you might be seeing more definition in existing muscle due to a reduction in the subcutaneous fat layer. The same goes for protein intake. If you are eating at a deficit, additional protein will not cause you to gain weight or muscle.
  • coffee_fiend
    coffee_fiend Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Very informative, thank you!
  • Rocktobermom
    Options
    I also have a question about this.My dr told me that I needed protein despretly. (med issues fibro etc) I started eating the Luna Protein peanut butter chocolate bar (gluten free). At first I ate one or two a day, however I got into the habit of "Oh its quick to grab and then a couple hours later eat a LUNA Health bar. I've gained like 5 lbs in the last week..Im starving all the time as well.

I am on my second week of 3 days a week of water aerobics and 3rd workout with cardio 1 3/4 mile treadmill, 2 mile bike and upper and lower body weight work....

Am I overdoing the protein, and flailing at night for more food?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a deficit, you are not going to be building muscle, particularly with no resistance training. If you have been sucessfully burning fat, you might be seeing more definition in existing muscle due to a reduction in the subcutaneous fat layer. The same goes for protein intake. If you are eating at a deficit, additional protein will not cause you to gain weight or muscle.
    This is only true if you're already a well conditioned athlete or if your diet is crap. I've gained 2.5" on my legs, 1.75" on my arms, and 1.75" in my chest while losing weight. But, this was with lifting. Just eating protein without lifting won't make you gain muscle.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Too much anything will make you gain weight. Calories count, no matter where they come from.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I also have a question about this.My dr told me that I needed protein despretly. (med issues fibro etc) I started eating the Luna Protein peanut butter chocolate bar (gluten free). At first I ate one or two a day, however I got into the habit of "Oh its quick to grab and then a couple hours later eat a LUNA Health bar. I've gained like 5 lbs in the last week..Im starving all the time as well.

I am on my second week of 3 days a week of water aerobics and 3rd workout with cardio 1 3/4 mile treadmill, 2 mile bike and upper and lower body weight work....

Am I overdoing the protein, and flailing at night for more food?

Starting new workouts (or unusually heavy workouts) often makes you retain water weight.