Runners- why do I do this?

Options
dwh77tx
dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
So today I ran my farthest ever- 6.24 miles at a 9:15/mi pace. I am so proud of myself. However, every time I run, ( I am new to running) I say to myself, " I am never doing this again!" But as soon as I get home I am already thinking about the next time I will run. Thoughts??

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Totally normal I think. Every time I run (or do P90X, or any other workout) I question why I put myself through the sweat and aches, but the rewards far outweigh the discomfort. Ultimately, I love my workouts.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Ran my first marathon last month and between miles 20 & 25 I swore (for almost an hour) I would never do it again. Four hours after I finished I was already reviewing my training and thinking about how to improve it for the next one. A sense of accomplishment is a great motivator.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    When I was running my half marathon I thought many times I am never doing this again! This is crazy! And now I'm signed up for a full...
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Running and other exercise can definitely be one of those things that I drag my feet at and procrastinate about, but when I am done I am so glad I did it.

But lately I have been running real well. It makes me excited for my next run because my improvement is very noticeable and motivating.
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Because its the joy of accomplishment!
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    My theory is cognitive dissonance. You are doing something difficult and uncomfortable, and your brain is stuck trying to figure out why you are doing something difficult and uncomfortable when nobody is making you do it. The way I figure, your brain just decides to resolve this issue by saying well I must be doing it because I like it, and then suddenly you have convinced yourself that you like it and you sign up for another race.
  • kfrazier
    kfrazier Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't always enjoy the running WHILE I am running, but when I am finished I feel great! For me it is the sense of accomplishment and the endorphins!
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It's like giving birth... during, nothing but pain and regret...
    and then a huge release of endorphins and you forget all about the agony
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Endorphins. I always blame the endorphins and the sense of bad a*ssery that comes with confirming you could definitely, definitely out run a zombie.
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    Yep, I love running... when it's over. Runner's high and all that :)
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Have maybe done this for a few seconds during a run but generally don't - my sister on the other hand, is a different story. From what she tells me (for her) it's the "I don't want to work out" mentality and post-workout by a "Wow, that felt great!"
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    When I'm exercising I am sometimes able to get into a zone. When I'm in the zone everything else falls away. The only thing that matters is that I feel good and I am lost in thought. I am new to running so it doesn't happen a lot yet. If I get on the bike or strap on the roller blades I can get there pretty much every time.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way a lot, but recently, I just keep going. Not sure when it changed... My biggest debate (with myself) these days is about hydrating better, sun screen and hats...
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I only say that to myself during a race along with, at times, a choice number of expletives. That rarely happens during a training run. If it did I'd find another form of exercise.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You sound like a runner. :tongue:
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options

QFT.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

QFT.
    Yup.
    Every once in a great while, I hit the sweet spot while running ~ the aches are gone, my feet feel light, the rhythm and pace just carry me along. I keep going for that, but most of the time, it's a slog. Until it's over. I keep coming back to it, though. Running gets under your skin.
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Running gives me a sense of accomplishment that no one can take away. I get to decide how far and how fast. It can be a solitary sport or a group venture. It can be fast or long and slow. I can dread it when I start, feel great during it, and feel on top of the world afterward. I can already have gotten my run in for the day, see someone else running, and get that "itch" to run again. I love to run, I love to read about it, and I love to shop for it. I am a runner!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Lately I had been miserable during my runs thinking "When is it going to be over???" But today I had some good tunes on my ipod and sang and kinda danced while I ran, not caring what others were thinking. I actually enjoyed myself and went farther than I planned. :) Can't wait to go again tomorrow, preferably earlier so I don't get heat stroke lol
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Running is a love/hate thing for me. But, more love than hate, so silly me just keeps doing it. My body LOVES to run, and going from barely being able to walk a few blocks without getting winded, to being able to run for 4 miles means that I don't take that ability for granted.