Fresh beets, Parsnips, and Turnips

Options
2»

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,720 Member
    Options
    Parsnip purree is great. You can mix with mashed potatoes.

Otherwise I agree with recommendations to roast.
  • Bechard05
    Bechard05 Posts: 231
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful advice!!!! I roasted the turnips to go with dinner tonight and yum. I will be using turnips a lot more now :) tomorrow I am going to try the beets and am going on a hunt for goat cheese. I've never heard of it before and am interested in trying it. I love love love salad and am always looking at new ways of preparing salad so it was great to learn about the beet leaves!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yum, I have beets every day, I put them in everything
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Keeping this one on file for some ideas.... farmers markets today may need to pick up some other veggies..... LOVE roasted parsnips and carrots with onion.... beet salad sounds tasty.
  • tishtash77
    tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    God I could eat several plates of roasted parsnips on their own and sod the rest of the meal. Love them. Something I do now that I have to watch my portions of things like white potatoes is add in a root vegetable to them. This bulks up the meal so visually I feel I am getting a bigger meal still and adds another vege to the plate, handy with my 4 year old being anti veg apart from carrots! The usual one I add is rutabaga or turnip, but have done it with sweet pots, carrots, squash, parsnips too.
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Beets make a change-up hummus. Haven't tried parsnips (which I love) in hummus - but I see a future adventure here. Don't know if you have tried fennel, but I like cooking with it as well, soups, salads, roasts, raw - adds another dimension.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Parsnips i've never had. I only eat turnips raw, right out of the garden. Beets can go straight to hell.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Parsnips i've never had. I only eat turnips raw, right out of the garden. Beets can go straight to hell.

YES! Go to hell, beets! And take the brussels sprouts with you!
  • missy_girl001
    missy_girl001 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I find that keeping it simple with these works great. Peel (if you wish), cube them, toss them with some olive oil, salt, and pepper, maybe a little cayenne. Place them in the oven at 400F until done...similar to french fries.

This and try it with a bit of balsamic vinegar. Being summer, I also love to do these in a similar fashion but in packets on the bbq with blackened bell peppers!
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I love beets and beet greens. I just discovered candy striped beets that are sweeter than regular (delicous) beets. I made sauteed beet greens wth garlic and beet salad with goat cheese. SO GOOD!

I boile or roast beets in their skin and then the skin comes right off.

The only problem is the candy striped beets won't turn my pee as pink. I like pink pee.