calorie count

Options
I have been reading all sorts of posts about how MFP is not accurate with calorie counts...then others list other devices that help them count calories but then I read how someone else says it's not accurate....

Is there something that does give accurate calorie counts, that doesn't cost an arm and leg to get...(or even a toe)....?

Replies

• raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I stick with MFP. It's easy, and even if it is off, at least it's giving me a general reference because that's what I need.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    It's accurate on the foods I put in myself. I don't necessarily trust the entries other users put in the database, so I avoid those.
  • doodles21224
    doodles21224 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For the most part the foods I have used are fairly accurate. I usually check them. If there are two or more posts with the same food item I usually take the one that seems most logical.
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If I'm losing weight, then I'm happy. I've heard it tends to overestimate on calories burned.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    People put in similar (or the same) items with different serving/packaging sizes. So there just might not always be one exact one for the food you're putting in at that serving size. If I don't find one matching the nutritional information on my food, I add it myself, simple as that.
  • Basia_and4345
    Basia_and4345 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have been reading all sorts of posts about how MFP is not accurate with calorie counts...then others list other devices that help them count calories but then I read how someone else says it's not accurate....

Is there something that does give accurate calorie counts, that doesn't cost an arm and leg to get...(or even a toe)....?

I saw a report on calorie tracking devices and the end idea was that No One device is going to be totally accurate because there are too many individual factors that the machines or devices can not factor in, so a general equation is used. The best thing you can do is to stick with One device and over time you should get a pretty good picture of your calorie burn.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I kind of wish there were a way to just screen for the non * entries. It's nice to have one where you can get blueberries by the oz, gm, cup in one place--depending on what and how you are measuring yourself it makes it easier. And those basics are the ones I tend to need. I don't eat a lot of processed stuff.

I also wish there were a way to edit out the duplicates. Instead of 20 different Honey Nut Cheerio entries, have 1 with 100 g, 3/4 c, 28 oz in one place and be done with it.

Ah well, not perfect. But good enough to make me successful so far. So I'm not going to complain.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I find that most of the entries are pretty reasonable. And those that aren't are obvious enough to avoid. LIke a cup of vegetable for zero calories or a six ounce serving of meat for 48 calories. Most common items have more than one entry so when In doubt I check a few and choose the one closest to the middle of the "pack" . Calories in foods vary normally anyway - (is my carrot as medium as the one listed? or a bit bigger? its pretty fat,,,,, you get the idea.).
  • KellyyT
    KellyyT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i agree with just sticking with MFP. MFP was created to make your life easier; so why bother buying this or that gadget to muck it all up? if the food you're looking for has 12 different entries, there must be a middle-ground. never choose the highest or the lowest, and i tend to slightly over-estimate my portions, just to be safe.

food i make myself, i put in each ingredient to give a true estimate. eg; ravioli. i tracked frozen ravioli, tomato sauce, tomatoes, spinach, green bell peppers, and meatballs. i don't care about seasonings because those are typically negligible.
  • JunkDrawer2x4
    Options
    Do you mean the calorie counts in the foods you are eating or the calories you are burning from exercise?

For the foods you eat, if they are packaged use the barcode scanner to retrieve the information. When going to restaurants look up their menus online ahead of time. Otherwise, just check to see if the nutrition information basically jives with what you expect. Make sure you're measuring your portion sizes and entering them accurately, as this is where many of the calorie inconsistencies seem to occur.

For calories burned, I use a BodyMedia Fit armband. It is pricey, but I love it. That said, I relied on just entering my exercise in MFP for a long time and was very successful. I tended to underestimate the time I exercised just a bit when I entered it, so I didn't accidentally overestimate the number of calories I burned. I don't know if this was necessary or not, but it made me feel better. :)

However you do it, the key is consistently following a plan that works for you - some way you can fit a healthy diet and daily activity into your real life. If you are unable to live on salads and protein shakes, don't follow a diet where that's all you get. If you've got 3 jobs and 6 kids, maybe plan more realistic exercise than two hours at the gym each day. Set yourself up for success and you'll get there!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Look for food entries without the * or for processed foods/other things see how many confirmations it has on the right side above where you pick your quantity. I find that the more confirmations an item has the more likely it is to be close.

For calories burned I just go with MFPs numbers. It's all a guestimate so I choose to just use that instead of bouncing between machine numbers and MFP. If you have a heart rate monitor or a fit bit you could chose to use that instead. Just pick one and stick with it. If your losses aren't as predicted and you're sure your intake is spot on then eat 75% of your burned calories or 50% until you get it right.
  • musicteacher40
    musicteacher40 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Do you mean the calorie counts in the foods you are eating or the calories you are burning from exercise?

For the foods you eat, if they are packaged use the barcode scanner to retrieve the information. When going to restaurants look up their menus online ahead of time. Otherwise, just check to see if the nutrition information basically jives with what you expect. Make sure you're measuring your portion sizes and entering them accurately, as this is where many of the calorie inconsistencies seem to occur.

For calories burned, I use a BodyMedia Fit armband. It is pricey, but I love it. That said, I relied on just entering my exercise in MFP for a long time and was very successful. I tended to underestimate the time I exercised just a bit when I entered it, so I didn't accidentally overestimate the number of calories I burned. I don't know if this was necessary or not, but it made me feel better. :)

However you do it, the key is consistently following a plan that works for you - some way you can fit a healthy diet and daily activity into your real life. If you are unable to live on salads and protein shakes, don't follow a diet where that's all you get. If you've got 3 jobs and 6 kids, maybe plan more realistic exercise than two hours at the gym each day. Set yourself up for success and you'll get there!

I was talking calories burned, not ingested... I guess I didn't make myself real clear....
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Calories burnt on MFP are vastly overesitmate, but so are the machines numbers. Best thing to go is either buy a HRM but even that is not a true burn or use MFP numbers but don't eat all your burned calories back!
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Calories burnt on MFP are vastly overesitmate, but so are the machines numbers. Best thing to go is either buy a HRM but even that is not a true burn or use MFP numbers but don't eat all your burned calories back!

I use the MFP numbers, but don't eat all the calories back. I'm losing at a good rate.
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I use the bodyfit media link armband to monitor calories burned. It seem pretty accurate. MFP overstates what I get with the armband.

When I mow my yard I get 720 calorie credits from MFP. Bodymedia calculates around 600.

Similar results with biking.

the armband links to my phone with bluetooth, so I can get an update on calories burned several times a day. It was about $170 with shipping and the subscription is $60 per year. Well worth it. I love the reports.
  • musicteacher40
    musicteacher40 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I use the bodyfit media link armband to monitor calories burned. It seem pretty accurate. MFP overstates what I get with the armband.

When I mow my yard I get 720 calorie credits from MFP. Bodymedia calculates around 600.

Similar results with biking.

the armband links to my phone with bluetooth, so I can get an update on calories burned several times a day. It was about $170 with shipping and the subscription is $60 per year. Well worth it. I love the reports.

That sounds great but the $$$ is way past my budget... :(
  • soonergirl03
    soonergirl03 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use bodymedia I finally broke down and bought it because I hit a plateau and the scale was not moving for months. I love it and I found out I was burning more calories during the day then what I thought, I got to increase my calories to 1810. I did find out by wearing the bodymedia that MFP gives you more calories for some excersise machines at the gym so I feel the bodymedia is very accurate. I bought my bodymedia thru MFP and got a discount it was around $95.00 including shipping of course this was back in Dec though and I also got 6 months of free download time.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that some of the barcodes are not correct. But I always double check calories when I enter the food. Only thing I have no idea would be veggies and fruit, so I trust MFP. At least it is the healthy stuff I have to trust.