Is anyone else obsessed ...

Options
... with the scale?

I know that it's an awful thing to do, weighing myself everyday, but I can't help myself. I think about weighing myself all of the time, as if that's some kind of reflection of how hard I'm working. I know in the long run it will be, but being totally honest with myself, I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything unless I see that number move. Because I wear stretch pants every day, it's really hard to know if I'm actually losing any inches.

Any reformed "scale watchers" that have advice on how to stop?

Are there any other "scale watchers" out there? What do you do to stop yourself from hopping on there?

Replies

• NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with weighing every day?
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I put it in a closet so it's not easily accessible. If it gets left out, it calls to me and I must step on it. If I have to pause and make an effort to get it, it makes me rethink it. I get it out once a week to weigh. Get that thing off of the bathroom floor and out of sight. That might help you. Good luck!
  • Ladina1990
    Ladina1990 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad i weigh my self every morning and sometimes every 3 days to see a change, i think its because i want to see that number move down each day, its a normal reaction to want to see results fast.
  • kandyice1
    kandyice1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am a tad. I decided recently that I'm only going to weigh once a month because that daily fluctuation can drive me crazy. I don't want to do that to myself anymore, so that's the best course of action for me.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I got rid of my scales so I don't weigh myself all the time and now only weigh in every 2 weeks, it works and I always look forward to weigh in day :-)
  • flewdacoop
    Options
    I don't think its a bad thing. If you enjoy seeing your hard work pay off, I say stand on that scale until it bores you. Personally, I weigh myself first thing in the morning only, after I use the bathroom. I figure after that I'm also weighing breakfast, coffee, water, etc. If I only want to weigh my body, it only makes sense to do so when my body is as empty as possible.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Rarely. I can tell every moment of the day and each day how my weight is fluctuating and trending down or up. I check the mirror for my progress report.
  • erinfaaaaace
    Options
    What is wrong with weighing every day?

"They" (who is "they" anyway?) say you shouldn't because your weight can fluctuate throughout the week, between water weight, TOM, etc.
  • erinfaaaaace
    Options
    I put it in a closet so it's not easily accessible. If it gets left out, it calls to me and I must step on it. If I have to pause and make an effort to get it, it makes me rethink it. I get it out once a week to weigh. Get that thing off of the bathroom floor and out of sight. That might help you. Good luck!

I'll definitely try moving it to a hiding spot.

Thanks!
  • Mariposa_Lily
    Mariposa_Lily Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If I weighed every day, I'd get so frustrated because I'd never know whether that oz. or two lost or gained was *real* weight, water, whatever. I find it much more satisfying to weigh once a week--the change is bigger!
  • shawnatheobald
    Options
    Mine is tucked away in a closet, and I only allow myself to weigh on the first of the month. It is way more exciting to see you've lost 6 pounds at the weigh in than to see that number go up and down all dang month!

It shouldn't be all about weight - it should be about how you look and feel :)
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    In my newsfeed I saw some girls were having their hubby/boyfriend hide their scale so they couldn't find it.
  • itzCoffeeTime
    Options
    I feel the real issue here is the apparent frustration or feeling down when your weight goes up. I weigh myself everyday because I like to graph the progress and simply want more plot points. Understanding that weight fluctuates daily, I don't get stressed out if I am a pound heavier than previously as long as I know my diet and workout regiment were in check.

But if it is an issue, get rid of the scale and only weigh yourself at the gym weekly or bi-weekly. However, again, I don't think weighing daily is that big of a deal having the understanding you seem to have about the body.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. It's not an obsession. If it goes up 3 pounds from 1 day to the next I know not to freak... but it helps catch inconsistencies faster, imo. Maybe I'm giving myself too much calorie burn on lifting days if that's when it fluctuates most/ or over/under estimating my TDEE.
  • harms97
    harms97 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning after I use the bathroom. I can't help it!
  • drezzal
    drezzal Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Nope, i'm scared of my scale, he's a bloody liar! :D
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Yup. The scale and I have love hate relationship. When it gives
    me good answers I'm so happy but there have also been moments
    it has almost been thrown out the bathrm window. Luckily
    I see more minuses than higher digits .l like it that way. :D
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I was weighing myself everyday, sometimes multiple times a day. I found I was too obsessive and it was really counterproductive for me. I gave my scales to a friend for a couple of weeks which broke the habit and since I got them back I've only weighed myself once a week on a Monday morning and I'm so much happier for it.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Do it every 2 weeks instead

Weights can vary a lot from day to day.......you will drive yourself bonkers
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I also weigh everyday but I've been in Italy for the past 2 weeks and no scales except for once at a spa. I found that I lost 3 pounds but then again-it wasn't my scale so who knows? Anyway, it was very nice not weighing myself everyday. I'm sure when I get home-I'll continue weighing everyday cause I feel it helps keep me maintaining, which is where I'm at, at last!