Why don't guys do Zumba?

Options

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'd try zumba, but I know I'd be there more for scenery than the workout.

At least I'm being honest with myself :laugh:
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options

Yeah.. nothing like a row of 65-year-old ladies belly dancing.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I attend an early morning Zumba class. It's typically about 10 - 12 ladies and one older gentleman with the worst rhythm I've ever seen in a human but his smile and energy are infectious.

If you lived in Minneapolis I would swear you were talking about my boyfriend. He LOVES Zumba!! He can't dance at all and looks a bit like a robot with rusty joints, but that doesn't stop him from having a blast.

I have attended a few classes (I had a hard time keeping up so that discouraged me a bit). My gym offers classes at several different times. My experience in each was very different and the crowd was different as well. The Saturday afternoon was full of young thin "dancer" girls, I felt very out of place. The Sunday late afternoon was a smaller group with some older gals, a few bigger gals like myself, and a few middle ages guys (one looked like he was straight out of the 80's); I feltmuch better in that class.

It all depends ,maybe you are going to the "Girls" class.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

Hm, that's different from the zumba class my fiancee is in. Her's is mostly 20-somethings with a few middle aged women.
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Zumba is marketed to those who don't prefer traditional work outs (either find them no fun or too confusing/hard). You get the hear the keywords when they market the commercial (fun/easy) like many other infomercials do.

I do just fine with my current work outs. For those who are obese or have no idea how to get an effective workout in, then yeah, go to Zumba.

No need for that last line there. Just makes you seem like a jerk.

I tried Zumba, hated it. I would rather spend my time on an elliptical or doing other stuff. My fiance went to a few classes, and liked it.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options

Hm, that's different from the zumba class my fiancee is in. Her's is mostly 20-somethings with a few middle aged women.

LOL it varies. We always have at least 2 older ladies in the class.. then its a mix between women in their 20's and 30's. It depends on what time ya go too... Saturday mornings always has alot of older ladies.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I dragged my husband last week and even if it wasn't his cup of tea, he had to admit it was a hell of a workout ( I have a very high intensity instructor.)

To the guy that said his average HR was 124, you either did not move or you sadly went to a class with the worst Zumba instructor there is. Lots of folks of every sizes in both my classes wear HRM and burns are between 500-900 a class with average BPM a whole lot higher than 124.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    As a guy who does Zumba, I feel like a lot of guys are just can't get down with shaking their hips like a male version of Shakira :) haha.

It's fun though, and definitely more enjoyable than spending an hour monotonously on an elliptical or a treadmill or something.

It's a shame more men cant get down with shaking their hips. If they learned how to shake their hips I bet women would be smiling more. All be it the woman would be walking bow legged but they would be smiling.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The earlier posters who pointed out that guys don't go to classes at the gym in general, Zumba or not, hit the nail on the head. The guy who posted about it being like the difference between men's and women's strip clubs further elaborated on it. The fact that women often go to the bathroom in groups while men go in, do their business, and get out, alone, illustrates it perfectly.

Women depend on a social atmosphere a lot more than men do.
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    Considering that obtaining a Zumba instructor certification is very, very easy, I don't think it's a good enough workout, plain and simple. With that said, my friend owns her own fitness studio and teaches Zumba among a ton of other things, and she is very very good. When hiring new Zumba instructors, she said she interviewed over 100 applicants and only 4 of them she felt were worthy to teach a 20 minute mock trial class to see if her students liked them. There really are some horrific fitness instructors out there and considering how easy it is to be Zumba certified, it doesn't surprise me how many people think it is a sissy workout. Of course it depends on the instructor, and the individual as well. I can't tell you how many people I've met that complain they aren't losing weight when they don't push themselves enough. But I think that even with an amazing instructor, someone who already has an elite level of fitness will not benefit from it. The only thing that I can think of to be challenging is learning the choreography. In my eyes Zumba is marketed towards the average woman (and that is in no way a criticism), and if you're a man who is interested in building muscle (like most men are) while increasing strength and agility, doing dance-inspired cardio to Latin music is borderline useless to them, or anyone else with similar interests.

I agree on several things here. I work in the medical field and make sure I get in a lot of core exercises along with Zumba for that very reason. You can lose weight with Zumba but you are going to have to add in strength over time. And Yes, it is amazingly easy to get a certification. I happened to work in PT/Aquatic Rehab so I try to make sure that the moves are NOT careless or straining. I see instructors adding squats in their routine but not watching their students form which scares me. Getting a Group X and other licenses does help. I found that my prior knowledge to anatomy helped a lot but most instructors (and students) aren't familiar which is why there is a higher number of injuries of ankles and more from that.
    I disagree that isn't a "good enough" workout.. There is a number of ways to incorporate high intensity cardio into the formula to get it going but it is sometimes too advanced for students. It is good to move them up gradually. I use to teach a basic class with tight core and leg routines and over time added as the students built up their stamina. You have to know your crowd and work with them. And as long as your students are progressing with safe routines, then it is all fitness gravy...
  • emlee01
    emlee01 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    As with most topics of debate, YMMV. I'm a guy who enjoys latin dance, can move my hips (thank you very much), generally enjoys the view in a typical Zumba class, and has lost weight combining Zumba with other cardio. That said, I agree with others that the marketing is heavily weighted to women (who make up the bulk of the classes). Go figure...

The quality of a Zumba work-out is so dependent on the instructor. My favorite puts my heart rate in the desired zone for over 45 minutes and makes it a fun challenge to boot! I've joined other classes where that was not the case, and I either left early or kicked up my intensity to get a satisfying workout. Ultimately, you control how much or how little benefit you derive from such activities anyway.

At least in the Zumba classes I've taken, I haven't see too many "elite level of fitness" types or those solely interested in building muscle, so I wouldn't use that strawman to knock the benefits of Zumba across the board. It is what is: a different way/reason to get your butt off the couch and start moving. It may not be optimal for all men, but it can be a fun change-up to get get your heart rate into the target zone.

And yes, the view and the women smiling back at you isn't bad either...
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Whether or not it was intentionally designed for women, it's designed for women. Undeniably.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself, but Zumba would do very little in helping me progress and reach my fitness goals. My exercise and fitness goals go far beyond just burning calories...actually, I don't even think about that anymore. My fitness goals are independent and the exercise that I do are all oriented towards achieving those goals. Dancing around isn't going to help me kill it on a 5K or run a 10K...it's not going to help me with a Tough Mudder...it's not going to help me with a triathlon and it's not going to get me anywhere near being an Ironman...not sure I can achieve that anyway, but certain Zumba isn't going to get me there.

If I were to do a class at a gym, it would be spin...that would at least help me for triathlon sprint. Otherwise, I'm hitting the weight room...doing some running, doing some swimming, and riding my bike. Really the idea of a structured class doesn't really appeal to me much.
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i've seen some guys in that Group X room doing Zumba, most are older though (maybe the IDGAF age and above)

but it's maybe 2-3 guys, the rest of the class is made up of women

i've never been in there but it looks to be a good workout for those that are inclined
  • MooMyuu
    MooMyuu Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I know quite a few men that even TEACH zumba. and a few men who take the class. and the few men that are dragged in by their women.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I've never really seen many fit people in zumba classes :-/
  • mdn15
    mdn15 Posts: 145
    Options
    I've never really seen many fit people in zumba classes :-/
    That is so true!!! Because the "fit" people are in the weight room, boot camp, Crossfit, etc.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Most people really into fitness lift a lot of weights, and for their cardio they'll do High Intensity Intervals. Zumba just wouldn't be conducive to my fitness goals, but the main reason is I'm not gonna dance...
  • wolejr03
    Options
    Zumba wasn't really created for men anyways. And most women would look at a guy funny if he was in there shaking his hips and dancing for an hour. As a man i rather do insanity or p90x. Those workouts improve strength, endurance, and athleticism. Things men actually care more about that rhythm.
  • craigster123
    craigster123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I love Zumba. Great workout, get the moves down for some great dancing with my wife (who also Zumbas). I lift weights and participate in sports as well, but I think a great physique is one that also builds finesse and - yes - grace in a man.