Does anyone else get a sore Tongue from eating certain foods

Options

Replies

• Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I get that too if I eat too much pineapple, canned OR fresh. I can have more canned than fresh, but it happens either way.
  • paigele
    paigele Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Another possibility if it persists is it could also be a B vitamin deficiency. To increase B vitamins, eat beans, peas and lentils, turkey, tuna and seafood.
  • Marjorielk
    Marjorielk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I love pineapple and sometimes I will have too much, like 1/2 a pineapple, & my mouth feels really funny. Tingly, burning, swollen, etc. This never happens with 1-2 slices. Also, does not happen with canned pineapple, but I do not usually go overboard with the canned, just the fresh.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I knew somebody whose tongue looked all funny from eating some dirty clam...
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options

LMAO....You never disappoint! I came into this topic JUST to see what you had to say! Just what I expected! :) OR maybe MY mind is in the gutter, as usual.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

LMAO....You never disappoint! I came into this topic JUST to see what you had to say! Just what I expected! :) OR maybe MY mind is in the gutter, as usual.

Bwahahaha.. Really... his tongue was all wrinkly on the sides. I told him he needed to get checked for every disease in the book for that one. LMAO.
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Bwahahaha.. Really... his tongue was all wrinkly on the sides. I told him he needed to get checked for every disease in the book for that one. LMAO.

Ewwwwwww......that's disgusting! Good advice!
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I could eat Captain Crunch til my tongue felt like it was bleeding! Wheaties fuel, same thing.
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Interesting info
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me. I started cutting pineapple and leaving it in the fridge for 2-3 days before I eat it and the pain/burning stopped.
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Yep, with pineapple, kiwi fruit, unripe banana and walnuts. So I just don't eat them! (Except sometimes pineapple when it's really ripe and I can't resist!)
  • rgrin
    rgrin Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Pineapple and kiwi for me.

I see a theme here...
  • Yazzy54
    Options
    Pineapple and kiwi for me too as well as pecan nuts.
    Cooked or tinned are fine for me.
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Yes, after a 175 g bag of chips. And kiwifruit (but only if I eat the skin)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Pineapple for me too, but only if I eat loads of it. I ate an entire pineapple when I was overdue with my 2nd child. It did nothing to start labour off and just gave me a sore tongue!
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Like many of the OP's, citrus like pineapple, and oranges make my mouth sore, as do strawberries, tomatoes, and tree nuts, like pecans and walnuts. Definitely not allergies, but I have to watch my consumption or I will be very uncomfortable for a few days. This is really hard right now, with tomatoes being in season, and I just can't get enough of them!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    fresh and frozen pineapple (but not canned), kiwi, strawberries and eggplant.

all of these are good in moderation for me but when it gets into half a pound of pineapple, 4 kiwis, a pint of strawberries and an entire eggplant then my tongue and roof of my mouth gets raw
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Yes I have found most fruits can make my Tongue sore but particulary citrus fruits , papaya, kiwi and pineapple. Last time I ate some pineapple my whole Tongue started bleeding. It was quite alarming the skin was just oozing blood all over my Tongue. I read up about it on google and apparently it is not all that unusual. Certain fruits have a substance in them that if you are allergic to latex will also mean you get problems with a particular group of fruits. Pineapple apparently often causes people issues because if it is not harvested when ripe then it does not get properly ripe ever and will cause this soreness due to a natural chemical compound found in unripe pineapple. I have IBS and a lot of food intollerances at the best of times which sadly includes a lot of fruits causing me sore Tongue, mouth ulcers and general intestinal upset.

I am not eating any fruit at the moment for other health reasons but when I re- introduce it I will be very mindful to pay attention to which ones do not cause me problems and just stay away from rest. Thankfully veg has never caused me any issues apart from rocket leaves. They do not agree with me at all, I get the sore Tongue and bad digestive upset with rocket leaves too. If I eat a lot of lettuce that also upsets system but is ok in small amounts.

It is annoying when good healthy foods cause issues but everyone has their own unique physiological little differences.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    My mind totally went elsewhere with this thread... :noway:
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    Pineapple for me also. Tried to eat a small container of it once, halfway through had to stop!