Agave nectar

Options
godsgrl33
godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
Can someone please tell me what exactly is agave nectar, and what is it used for? I have seen many advertisements of this newer food item, but I don't know if it is "healthier" than other types of sweetener, or if it is just hype. Thank you for any responses.

Replies

• pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I think its just hype.

It's meant to be natural a low GI sweetener, which is is. But, the sugar it's composed of is mainly fructose, which studies show goes STRAIGHT to your liver to be converted into fat. Fat on your liver no less.

So personally I don't choose to use it.
  • dragoness07
    dragoness07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

well it's not exactly a new food item and has been around fo many years now. Agave is just another fructose sweetener and is the syrup of the Agave plant. Agave has got a very low GI and has shown to be beneficial with diabetics. However, as with all sweeteners "moderation" is the key. I use Agave nectar for my coffee and I sometimes use some in my raw chocolate recipes in combination with other sweeteners such as goji berries or dates.
    Even so that they say it is a more "healthy" alternative to simple sugars, well it is still a processed sweetener.
    In general I wouldn't use to many sweeteners, but if you need to, you should choose from a variety of different sweeteners and use in moderation.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I think its just hype.

It's meant to be natural a low GI sweetener, which is is. But, the sugar it's composed of is mainly fructose, which studies show goes STRAIGHT to your liver to be converted into fat. Fat on your liver no less.

Nothing but alarmist nonsense.

Did you read how much fructose the subjects were ingesting the the University of Lausanne Study? It was the equivalent of 45 bananas a day or so........

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19403641

The liver problems observed in rats were not observed in humans..
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20086073

The McMaster meta-study concluded: "Fructose does not seem to cause weight gain when it is substituted for other carbohydrates in diets providing similar calories. Free fructose at high doses that provided excess calories modestly increased body weight, an effect that may be due to the extra calories rather than the fructose."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22351714

To the OP agave nectar, is a low GI sweetener that has been hyped as another miracle product......it's not but if you like it in your tea or coffee go ahead (or use honey - it's a fraction of the price)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I can't even be assed reading this ....just eat normally.
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I used Agave for a few years. BUT now I don't buy it and avoid it like the plague.

It is advertised as a 'healthy' product when infact it is very bad for you!!

Yes it has a low GI BUT it's concentrated fructose which is terrible for your body

You would be better off using sugar instead if Agave it's that bad!!!

I now use Brown rice syrup or maple syrup sparely.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to have agave is Tequila.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

For the win!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I've made some recipes that had it as an ingredient, as a sugar substitute. I doubt if it's dramatically better or worse than any other sweetener.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I think its just hype.

Did you read how much fructose the subjects were ingesting the the University of Lausanne Study? It was the equivalent of 45 bananas a day or so........

The McMaster meta-study concluded: "Fructose does not seem to cause weight gain when it is substituted for other carbohydrates in diets providing similar calories. Free fructose at high doses that provided excess calories modestly increased body weight, an effect that may be due to the extra calories rather than the fructose."

To the OP agave nectar, is a low GI sweetener that has been hyped as another miracle product......it's not but if you like it in your tea or coffee go ahead (or use honey - it's a fraction of the price)

I wasn't suggesting it caused weight gain but fructose IS metabolized by the liver, that isn't in dispute

I doubt with normal use it's really that bad for you but I personally choose not to use it because it is no better than any other sweetener, is quite expensive, and i'd rather not cause my liver to do more work than it needs to
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    I think its just hype.

I wasn't suggesting it caused weight gain but fructose IS metabolized by the liver, that isn't in dispute

I doubt with normal use it's really that bad for you but I personally choose not to use it because it is no better than any other sweetener, is quite expensive, and i'd rather not cause my liver to do more work than it needs to

Your words......" But, the sugar it's composed of is mainly fructose, which studies show goes STRAIGHT to your liver to be converted into fat. Fat on your liver no less."

my objection has nothing to with the liver, it's the " to be converter into fat" which is grossly misleading. A very small percentage is converted to fat, the rest is converted to glucose, lactate & glycogen. Your statement gives the erroneous impression that fructose consumption is as (or more) dangerous than alcohol consumption.

Rather than spreading alarmist misinformation check your facts......
  • fullofquirks
    fullofquirks Posts: 182 Member
    Options

^^^ QFT :drinker:

I gave the agave nectar I try, didn't like it. Back to Zulka sugar for me.
  • cyclebummer
    Options
    Aspartame and honey. One's been around for 40 years with only one health exclusion(PKU), the other since God made bees. Raw honey is truly a miraculous nutrient that should be consumed daily. I hope it doesn't become too popular as the price would then sky rocket.

Light use of sugar is ok too.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    The reason I use it? It is sweeter than sugar and you use less to get the same effect. I am not a huge sweetner user anyways, so a teaspoon or tablespoon here or there isn't going to hurt my liver or my waistline. I have truvia, stevia, and others too. And they have sat in my cupboard for YEARS.
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies. I generally don't use much for sweeteners, either (splenda mostly), but I was just wondering what I would use this sweetener in. It sounds like honey or sugar is just as good, then, unless a recipe specifically calls for it. I've never bought it, and I'm not really missing it, so...To each his own.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    For those of you looking for a way to add sugar to a recipe but don't want to use real sugar - you can use dates instead.

One cup of dates - blend with a quarter cup of water in your blender or food processor, can be used in place of one cup of sugar in most baking recipes. It makes your batter a bit thick so you might need to cut back on the flour or other dry ingredients.

I make banana bread using dates for sugar and pureed apples for the oil and you can't tell that it has no sugar or oils in it.