cycling question

Options
2»

Replies

• ninnyfurr74
    ninnyfurr74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Love the info on the shifting! Thanks! That was info I had never heard explained before. Turns out one of my roommates used to be a serious biker and knows how to do tune ups so he is going to help me with that, Yeah!. I get the point with the tires but money is kind of an issue atm...soooo. I will have to make do for now and may just buy a road bike when I can and fix up the MTB for the trails :) I really appreciate all the advice and feedback from everyone. From what I'm hearing I was definitely shifting wrong or not shifting enough. It probably doesn't help that I'm 38, 5'2 and 186lbs (as of today). I've just started working to lose the weight and get in better shape and biking seemed like a good idea as it is less hard on my feet and knees. Until about 3 weeks ago I was having so much pain in my feet that just walking around the house was excruciating. Happy to say I haven't had anymore issues with that recently! Once again thanks all for your time and info, keep it coming as I am always willing to learn more!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Love the info on the shifting! Thanks! That was info I had never heard explained before. Turns out one of my roommates used to be a serious biker and knows how to do tune ups so he is going to help me with that, Yeah!. I get the point with the tires but money is kind of an issue atm...soooo.

Glad to have helped! The late Sheldon Brown's website, which is still being maintained by his widow and a friend, is a fount of knowledge about cycling, and has a section specifically for beginners which I heartily recommend:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/beginners/index.html
  • andreashi
    andreashi Posts: 3
    Options
    just slow down a bit should relieve that nasty stuff
  • DeniseGiles
    Options
    I've been cycling for about 5 years. I do know the more fit you become the more conditioned your legs will be. I find that the stop- go routine really works the legs. Getting started again after a stop can make the legs feel fatigued. I find it easier to keep going rather than the interval type of workout. A cadence of 80 -90 is pretty typical. For the serious athlete who has incorporated sports into their becoming leaner plan with my FitnessPal, Hammer Nutrition makes a wide variety of products and some that will assist with lactic acid buffering, great products for "newbies" as well. They also have an on line library that will provide you with a wealth of information and taking in proper nutrition while exercising and becoming more fit. Nice job ! Keep up the good work!
  • martintanz
    martintanz Posts: 280
    Options
    Love the info on the shifting! Thanks! That was info I had never heard explained before. Turns out one of my roommates used to be a serious biker and knows how to do tune ups so he is going to help me with that, Yeah!. I get the point with the tires but money is kind of an issue atm...soooo. I will have to make do for now and may just buy a road bike when I can and fix up the MTB for the trails :) I really appreciate all the advice and feedback from everyone. From what I'm hearing I was definitely shifting wrong or not shifting enough. It probably doesn't help that I'm 38, 5'2 and 186lbs (as of today). I've just started working to lose the weight and get in better shape and biking seemed like a good idea as it is less hard on my feet and knees. Until about 3 weeks ago I was having so much pain in my feet that just walking around the house was excruciating. Happy to say I haven't had anymore issues with that recently! Once again thanks all for your time and info, keep it coming as I am always willing to learn more!

Thats fine, but if money is tight, $50 for tires is a lot less than $800 tp $1,000 you will need to spend for an entry level new road bike.