Clean, Eating? What is it

Options
I see lots of people talk about Clean Eating, What is clean eating. What should you not be eating.

Replies

• CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Nothing that has been through a process - with the exception of you cutting and preparing it for your plate. Clean eating is just that - the food hasn't been smothered in oils and other 'crap' that's bad for your body.

Fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats, pulses etc. I'll have a quick look and see if I can find you a good link, with decent information. x

___

Here is a list of "approved foods" that looks very decent. http://www.livelifeactive.com/2012/02/29/eating-clean-approved-foods-list/

Also, while i've not had a GOOD look through, i've had a little poke around and this site seems like exactly what you're after: http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating/

If you're still curious you can pick up a copy of "clean eating for dummies" - a book. Here is a 'cheat sheet' from that book with the basic principles: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/eating-clean-for-dummies-cheat-sheet.html
  • Th3stral
    Th3stral Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    People have different ideas with regards what eating 'clean' means to them.

I've been back to 100% raw vegan for a month (I've not dropped below 65-70% raw in about 5 years) so I eat nothing artificially processed, nothing which isn't organic and nothing which has been heat treated or cooked. I would consider my diet clean.
  • kirsty2819
    Options
    Thank you CloudyMao, I will have a look at those sites
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Basically, eating things that are not factory processed or refined.

There's degrees, Th3stral is pretty hardcore based on what he said there. Eating completely raw is certainly clean, but most people would also consider eating a steak* off the grill rubbed down with some fresh herbs, with a side of steamed broccoli, and a steamed ear of corn with a bit of pepper clean as well.

What isn't clean is far easier to define... anything that contains refined sugar (ala table sugar), bleached non-whole grains, things loaded with preservatives, food dyes, etc.

You could also check out clean eating magazine-- http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/

*caveat being of course that the meat wasn't loaded with lousy crap like hormones, steroids, etc. Likely locally sourced and grass fed... course, once you start eating meat of that quality, going back to the terrible stuff they have in the supermarket is just flat painful.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Eating after you have had a shower
  • susantrigg18
    Options
    Nothing that has been through a process - with the exception of you cutting and preparing it for your plate. Clean eating is just that - the food hasn't been smothered in oils and other 'crap' that's bad for your body.

Fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats, pulses etc. I'll have a quick look and see if I can find you a good link, with decent information. x

___

Here is a list of "approved foods" that looks very decent. http://www.livelifeactive.com/2012/02/29/eating-clean-approved-foods-list/

Also, while i've not had a GOOD look through, i've had a little poke around and this site seems like exactly what you're after: http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating/

If you're still curious you can pick up a copy of "clean eating for dummies" - a book. Here is a 'cheat sheet' from that book with the basic principles: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/eating-clean-for-dummies-cheat-sheet.html

^^^^^ Very well explained, ive lost 80 pounds so far following as clean as possible eating & the Gracious Pantry site is great, Tiffany is a really nice girl too.
    Clean eating for dummies is also a great read, very easily explains the whole philosophy & some interesting facts in it as well.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Basically a myth. Like people who won't eat stuff "With a lot of chemicals". Everything, even you and me, is made up of chemicals. As for 'processed' food, what's cooking if it's not processing? Deadly nightshade, Death cap mushrooms, for example, are natural, non processed, but hardly good for you. It depends what's in 'em. Just try to eat healthily, it's not rocket science, and don't beat yourself up when you fail.
  • brazucanytv
    Options
    JUST for every one...

WHAT IS CLEAN FOR YOU MAY NOT BE CLEAN FOR ME...

MY CLEAN FOOD IS EGGS AND 2 APPLES..

SO YOU MAY HAVE A DIFERENT IDEIA WHAT IS CLEAN AND WHAT IS NOT CLEAN,,,,

THE KEY IS UNDESTAND YOUR DIET AND HOW YOUR BODY WORK..
  • Rho_Ro
    Rho_Ro Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Food is food. Stop demonizing it and just eat it.
  • belinus
    belinus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Basically a myth. Like people who won't eat stuff "With a lot of chemicals". Everything, even you and me, is made up of chemicals. As for 'processed' food, what's cooking if it's not processing? Deadly nightshade, Death cap mushrooms, for example, are natural, non processed, but hardly good for you. It depends what's in 'em. Just try to eat healthily, it's not rocket science, and don't beat yourself up when you fail.

What the mean by "no chemicals" is that the label of the food is not "Gum blah-blah-blah, yum-blah-blah-blah, some blah-blah-blah" when it's tomato juice.
  • susantrigg18
    Options
    :laugh:
  • susantrigg18
    Options
    :laugh:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzdFEXMbplliLWuzvGY-waIlQ09V5NkUVcemaq8ectIUOWmmUP
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    There are different levels of extremity for clean eating, but on average it means eating foods without chemicals, that haven't been overly processed, etc.

This rules out things like cereal, pasta, pizza, bread, etc, but includes foods like vegetables, fruits, meat, etc.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I didn't really have an opinion in Jamie Eason before reading that link.

I do now.
  • chrissyjmarq22
    Options

It's not a matter of demonizing it. Clean Eating is simply eating wholesome and natural foods and cutting out the CRAP that appears in processed foods that contained refined sugars. Clean eating advocates actually eating MORE food, not less, but in smaller meal sizes throughout the day so that you keep your blood sugar up and don't overeat and binge at night time, which a problem for a lot of people

Clean eating is NOT a diet, it is a lifestyle because you are permanently changing the way you eat not only to lose weight but for better health and better metabolism. Even if you go to the gym and exercise like crazy five times a week, if you do not pay attention to your nutrition and eat unhealthy foods like white grains made of refined sugars( white, bread, white pasta, white rice), unhealthy carbs containing refined sugars ( sodas, cookies, diet sodas, candy etc.) and healthy trans fats( vegetable oils like soy, canola, vegetable etc), you may lose some weight or maintain your current weight.

I had an old co-worker that was overweight and all she could do was complain about how no matter how often she exercised she could never lose weight. I told her if she stopped eating McDonald's for breakfast every morning maybe that would help( unbelievable !)

I am a huge advocate of clean eating as both my husband and I have lost 30 pounds each from following a clean eating lifestyle. Unfortunately in today's world we are so focused on getting more done in less time that good, wholesome eating is no longer a priority for our culture. Instead we've been given convenient options in the form of freezer dinners, canned foods, boxed foods and drive-thru windows. I watched a documentary and there was a doctor who put it perfectly: " The problem is that we are not eating food, we are eating food-like substances"

If you really want to see progress in your weight loss and health, you need to be educated about your choices and determine the root cause of what is causing weight gain and health problems: SUGAR. Sugar is the legal cocaine of our society today, It is addicting, it temporarily gives you a rush and a high, but then you come crashing down and end up wanting more

In a nutshell here are some clean eating principles I share on my blog

Eat whole grains – whole grain breads, wheat pasta and brown rice
    Eat 5 to 6 small meals throughout the day
    Eat every 2-3 hours
    Eat breakfast everyday
    Maintain portion control and eat smaller quantities of food with every meal
    Eating unsaturated fats within moderation – yes there are some fats that are actually good for you, like avocado and olive oil
    Eat lean proteins – lean grass-feed meats, free-range chicken, wild-caught seafoods
    Eat fresh,local organic fruit and vegetables
    Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water per day and definitely one with each meal
    Limit your alcohol intake
    Make your last meal of the day 3 hours before bedtime
    Avoid late night snacking