What is the secret to your success?

Options
Aside from the obvious (exercise and keeping track of what you eat), what other behavior modifications aided in your weight loss success?

Does backing off the diet sodas and carbs help at all? Not eliminating, but simply backing off. I drink at least 6 dt sodas/day, and I'm a carb addict.

Has anyone lost weight when they reduced their carb and soda intake??

Replies

• alliebeth88
    alliebeth88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I could never lose weight when I was focused on losing weight.

Now, I focus on how pumped I am for each of my workouts (I lift 3x/week) and upping my weights. The rest takes care of itself as long as I keep chugging along.

Also: This is anecdotal, but when I was a bit younger (20) I only drank diet soda all my life. I was getting awful headaches though and decided to switch to non-diet only. I was drinking 5-6 diet cans per day and ended up drinking 3-4 non-diet ones after the switch. I did NOT gain any weight after switching. Just something to think about from my own personal experience.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    My secret is everything in moderation. I've read so many things about how x/y/z are evil and should be eliminated from one's diet. Some people can do that. I can not. I just do things my way and not try to be someone I'm not.
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My secret is everything in moderation. I've read so many things about how x/y/z are evil and should be eliminated from one's diet. Some people can do that. I can not. I just do things my way and not try to be someone I'm not.

I agree :smile:
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I only been at this for 12 days now and I haven't had soda or any juice but no sugar added grapefruit juice. Once I saw how many calories n sugar was in a can of soda I didn't want it in my body. Diet stuff have a lot of bad artificial things in them so I stay away from diet stuff. You better of drinking the regular stuff, my body is a mess after just finishing my second 6 month round of chemo so I'm trying my best to stay away from ingredients I can't pronounce. In the end u really just got to narrow down what works for you and your body...... Good luck!
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    3 yrs later and I'm still a successful carb addict! I prefer my vodka to water on weekends and I enjoy life. TBH that is the change I made....I chose to enjoy life and fit the rest in.

But I do lift stuff and put it down....every now and then my dogs like me when I take them to the park.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    My secret is everything in moderation. I just do things my way and not try to be someone I'm not.

This.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I eat less than I burn.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,706 Member
    Options
    Eating more protein and fewer carbs (grains) keeps me feeling fuller longer.
  • RandyD2012
    RandyD2012 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different goals and ways to lose weight. 3 years ago or so I was 285. I was feeling awful.
    I stepped on the scale and said ENOUGH! My secret is .... Burn more then you intake. I still eat ice cream and anything I want. I just have smaller portions of it all. There are days when I blow it big time but you gotta get back on it the next day. Don't say " I blew it, I'll get back on it Monday". Get back on it ASAP :happy: There are no magic pills or anything like that. Just burn more calories then you put in your body. Thats it for me. Hope this helps.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Cutting down carbs definitely helped me. I eat well but cut down on rice, wheat, pastas etc., since lost 2 weeks and lost 5 pounds. Except eating fruits, I don't take suger in any other form. (no sodas, no desserts etc.,)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Allowing myself to indulge occasionally, workout DVDs, and only weighing myself every 4-6 weeks. Biggest things that have helped me.
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I actually started eating MORE !!!.... I never knew how much I was consuming starting on MFP about a month ago, when I started logging I was averaging 800 a day !! Omg ... I was losing weight but I felt like crap so I kept upping my calories now eating 1700 a day , I do a pretty intense cardio everday ( INSANITY) so I'm still needing to up my cals :) ...I don't drink soda maybe at a bday party or something but not everday not even once a week, and I still eat my carbs, at least once a day example, pasta one day, toast one day, or crackers one day ! I have switched to whole grain though ...I don't carbs as BAD in moderation , I feel they give you energy :) but that's my opinion ! So I upped my cals, NO soda, moderate " iffy" foods , and work my tail off and keep a calorie deficit !! Works like a charm :)
  • MistyAnneK
    MistyAnneK Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds in 3 months JUST by not drinking soda. Diet is just as bad for you as regular. Once I threw in working out 3 times a week for 45 minutes I dropped almost 50 pounds. I would highly recommend cutting way back on the soda, whether it be diet or regular.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Being consistent and honest about my exercise and eating habits.

Having enough humility to follow solid advice, and to realize when I am wrong.

There are no quick fixes.

Setting goals but having a willingness to change them and to keep moving forward
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!