Excercising in hot weather

Options
We are currently experiencing the longest spell of hot weather for years in the UK. My question, just out of interest, is, do you burn more calories in the hot weather for the same exercise routine?

EG. My 4 mile walk this morning felt harder work in 30 degree heat, but did I use more calories than if I did the same walk in 20 degree heat, which is much more usual...or more like 12 degrees last summer!!!

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    No
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    im in the south west uk and im dying here! cardio is way too hard in this heat. Im sure I read somewhere that just because your sweating lots/hot doesnt mean you will burn more calories
  • cugglybear
    cugglybear Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Bit depressing that you don't burn more when it feels so much harder in the heat!!
  • Lulla_dxb
    Lulla_dxb Posts: 22
    Options
    Try exercising in 50 degree heat in the UAE!!! I wish it would burn more calories but it doesn't.

Because it's hotter you will get dehydrated more quickly so just up your water intake and you should be fine! :wink:
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I would think it does a little. Your heart rate goes up. I run, and my heart rate tends to be higher when it is hotter, which makes me burn a little more according to my HRM.