Break from Exercise?

Options
Hey guys,

So since I started MFP last month, I started seeing results and I am very happy with that. However, I've been exercising daily, doing an hour of ZUMBA every day. I know I should take a break sometime during the week, but now that I am seeing results, I'm afraid to take a break. What should I do? Perhaps just do 30 minutes instead of an hour, on the day that should be a break day? Feel free to add me as a friend, I'm also looking for motivation and support. :)

Replies

• FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a break, you'll also find the day after a break your endurance might be better. On an off day, go for a walk, do yoga, somethibg light if you really want to get something in.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I find that if you don't give your body a rest it tends to find a way of forcing to do it - such as injury and/or illness.

Trust me, give yourself a break. You might even find your perform better at your next Zumba class after a rest day.

Also try to vary the exercise you are doing. I love running and that's my 'thing' but I only do it about 3 times a week and mix it up with going for walks in the sunshine or cycling or even wandering round a shopping centre for day (doesn't feel like exercise but my Fitbit tells me otherwise!).

Also in 2 years time can you see yourself even enjoying zumba every day??
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Rest / recovery days are an important part of any fitness program. Recovery days are a great opportunity to do some low impact, lower intensity cross training activities like walking, biking, swimming etc and a little variety helps keep boredom (and overuse injuries) away!
  • marialynnporter
    marialynnporter Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You need to take a brake. Don't workout on Sunday. Your muscles will thank you. If you push it you can hurt your self, and have no more energy. So take the one day brake and don't be afraid of it. Your doing amazing. Keep it up.
  • katieuk
    katieuk Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a break... you may well be seein results but if you take a break at least once a week then you might find the results actually get better.

If you have a break then you will find your body is refueled and you will be able to put even more into your workouts... there will come a point when your body just fizzles out and you might injure yourself, you won't feel like workout out...if you get an injury you could be out of action for days / weeks / months ... much worse than taking at least just a days break a week!!

Taking breaks is the key to ultimate success...
  • alexandriapatton
    alexandriapatton Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I will definitely start taking breaks and putting more variety into my workouts. :happy:
  • ahiddenlink
    ahiddenlink Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I tend to take my breaks on Tuesday. I don't like the idea of doing it on the weekend because I've really tried to have an up and go attitude on the weekends so breaking then seems counter-intuitive and on Monday it gets the blood flowing for the work week. I've been on my "serious" exercise routine since the end of February and probably once a month I'll give me a more extended break to let all muscles get a rest.
  • alexandriapatton
    alexandriapatton Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I tend to take my breaks on Tuesday. I don't like the idea of doing it on the weekend because I've really tried to have an up and go attitude on the weekends so breaking then seems counter-intuitive and on Monday it gets the blood flowing for the work week. I've been on my "serious" exercise routine since the end of February and probably once a month I'll give me a more extended break to let all muscles get a rest.

Thank you, I like the idea of a week day break... If I take a break on the weekend, I will allow myself too much leeway with food and stuff...
  • timmieklose
    timmieklose Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

So since I started MFP last month, I started seeing results and I am very happy with that. However, I've been exercising daily, doing an hour of ZUMBA every day. I know I should take a break sometime during the week, but now that I am seeing results, I'm afraid to take a break. What should I do? Perhaps just do 30 minutes instead of an hour, on the day that should be a break day? Feel free to add me as a friend, I'm also looking for motivation and support. :)

Yes Alex, you know you need a break every once in a while for your body to recooperate and relax. If you must do more exercising, like the others said, do something light. :) Over doing it and you know you can end up making your self too sore, or hurt and then your body will be in too much pain to even work out properly. No pain, no gain....true, but you know you need to take a break. :) Love ya!
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You don't need a break day. It's perfectly fine to do Zumba every day.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body -- if it screams 'I'm exhausted' then take a day off. Otherwise keep doing what you're doing.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go against the crowd and say... You're doing Zumba. Not weight lifting or marathon running. You're not working out for hours. You're dancing for one hour a day. If you don't want to take a break, I really don't think you have to.