Is anyone else obsessed ...

Options
13»

Replies

• kats1957
    kats1957 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use Wii Fit as my scale. This also gives me a graph, and while my weight sometimes goes up, I can really see the downward trend on the graph--and it goes back to the beginning of my Wii Fit time (over 2 years now) so I can see where I've gone up and down, and the gaps when I've not been on it for months on end.! I love the visual, so this works for me...and I don't do a body test every day
  • dentedcan
    dentedcan Posts: 29
    Options
    I weigh every morning too, just to track the trend over time, and if the drop is too big, I'll only record half of it, assume the rest is water fluctuation and hydrate more that day. I take tape measurements once a week.

Before I hop on the scale each time, I have to remind myself this weight can fluctuate a lot and if it's flat or higher than expected that doesn't mean yesterday was a failure. Not uncommon to have a flat day, or even gain a little, but the trend shows me it will correct within a few days as long as I keep the cal in/ cal out on target.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself early AM only, and when ever I feel like it. But the only one that counts and the only one I record is Monday morning.
  • HappyMommy0403
    Options
    I'm a daily weigher as well. It keeps me on track and honest with what I'm eating. When I was weighing weekly I would think, "Well, I can have this extra (treat/drink/ect) because I won't be on the scale for 5 days." It would spiral from there. If I weigh daily I'm honest daily. If I do have a drink or we go out to dinner I know that the increase is from that and I don't stress about it.

I have just started logging it in Libra daily and look forward to seeing the trends.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I use to be a monthly weigher when I started but I now do it ever 2 weeks. This give me enough time to get the naturally variances out of the way, and if ive noticed little to no loss I have 2 weeks to correct myself before my next way in. Although weighing myself daily wouldnt bother me, it might over time grind me down seeing the daily changes.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday at the same time. I record every new low.
  • taidasrictar
    taidasrictar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself a lot several times a day work at a place with tons of freight scales(103 to be exact :P) and one of my duties is to check that they are still accurate within 1%

i honestly find t fascinating to see how the body works like how long after i eat that i return to my normal weight and how diffrent foods effect that by basically weighing all the time i know when i have not had enough water when i have truly lost weight and a fluctuation i don't get frustrated about the numbers
  • jeanineolson
    jeanineolson Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. It is what works for me. This journey is so personal, you have to do what works for you!!!
  • sensored44
    sensored44 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I found weighing myself every day was counter productive. Sure I would have highs when I would "lose" but then if I gained I would be thinking about it all day. As I am an emotional eater, any chance to get down on myself would contribute to my overall inevitable downfall.

This time around, it's about forgiving myself and choosing to learn from my mistakes rather than using them as a means to punish myself.

So the scale got brought out a couple of days after I restarted and I saw once it was out that the compulsive behaviour was beginning again, so it's going away again so that I will only weigh in once a week.

Weight watchers dichotomy states... weigh once a week while losing, weigh every day while maintaining.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    The scale was ruining my life...i would shove it around to various different locations on the floor trying to see a loss of an extra ounce ....when that didnt work, i would go to other rooms with scale in hand to find the "lightest" spot in the house. I even went so far as to go out and buy a new scale, thinking the old one was broken...that just set me up for disaster since the new scale weighed different that the old scale! Remember...i was trying to eek out an extra ounce!

The number on the scale would determine my mood for the day...it would predict what i ate or didnt eat....after awhile I would just give up thinking that if i am following my diet to a "T" and still not losing that extra ounce then screw it....and off the wagon I would tumble.

So...now my scale sits tucked under the bed...i know where it is and i know how to acess it...but, i have chosen to leave it there for now...it will come out when I notice that the clothes I am wearing are suddenly too big and I no longer have to lay flat on my back to zip a zipper....when that day comes...i will step once on the scale...let the scale sync with the computer ( i have an Aria scale and use a Fitbit monitor).... And then slide the scale back under the bed and work my way down to the next size clothing in my closet....I am good for about 4 different sizes. Lol.....

It was hard at first...but honestly came on by pure frustration....i wanted to see miracles on the scale twice a day....unrealistic....so now I will settle for once a month or so....
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    Death to the scale! I'm ready to smash that mother with a baseball bat lol
  • iwantodance
    iwantodance Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was doing well and losing for about two months and had lost 10 lbs, or so. I was also weighing every day, obsessively. I hit a plateau for a few days and got discouraged so I "treated" myself to a little snack. Did I say a little snack? What I meant to say was, a plate full of ribs. I piled on just about the whole 10 lbs in about 3 weeks. Now, I'm back on my program and have lost a couple of lbs already. I told myself that I'd weigh every two weeks but I weighed after 5 days and saw the 2 lb loss. It was encouraging. I'll weigh again in 1-2 weeks, if I stick to my plan.

I facilitated a weight loss group about 15 years ago. We only weighed every 6 weeks. The success rate was phenomenal. It was very motivating to see the big reduction in weight but I can't wait 6 weeks now to see change. Maybe after I've lost 20 lbs I'll go back to the 6 week intervals. Maybe.
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    (raising hand) I was addicted to weighing myself. I used to weigh myself several times a day - before and after I ate, but that started to become a really unhealthy fixation leading to hanging out on "ana" web sites, fasting till I passed out and even some purging. On the plus side, I saw what high salt foods/water retention could do to the number on the scale (diet coke +2 pounds, campbells soup +3 pounds, etc.). Now I weigh in the morning, on this one certain tile on the floor (cuz it always shows the lowest number). Sometimes I weigh after work in the afternoon, since I shower then. However, I've learned that I get really disappointed and frustrated by gain or maintenance, so if I know I won't have lost weight, or maybe even gained, I try to avoid the scale that day. Other wise, I'll go on a "i give up" binge.

I know that being healthy is so much more than being thin or what my weight is, but I can't help the fixation. I'd love to feel good about myself regardless of the number on the scale. :ohwell: