Carbs make you fat, but fat doesn't

A study published last month, rather than looking only at total “calories in, calories out,” looked instead at the individual contribution of carbohydrates, fat, and protein to weight gain in the populations of 164 countries,

Their conclusion: "Findings from all analyses suggest that increases in carbohydrates are most strongly and positively associated with increases in obesity prevalence even when controlling for changes in total caloric intake and occupation-related physical activity. If anything, increases in fat intake are associated with decreases in population weight."

The article is "Macronutrients and Obesity: Revisiting the Calories in, Calories out Framework" and the abstract is at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2279503.

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    A study published last month, rather than looking only at total “calories in, calories out,” looked instead at the individual contribution of carbohydrates, fat, and protein to weight gain in the populations of 164 countries,

Their conclusion: "Findings from all analyses suggest that increases in carbohydrates are most strongly and positively associated with increases in obesity prevalence even when controlling for changes in total caloric intake and occupation-related physical activity. If anything, increases in fat intake are associated with decreases in population weight."

The article is "Macronutrients and Obesity: Revisiting the Calories in, Calories out Framework" and the abstract is at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2279503.

In the past several years, it's been recognized that fat has been wrongly villified. Yet another dietary pendulum swing. It still doesn't mean that even healthy fat can be eaten with abandon.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,139 Member

In the past several years, it's been recognized that fat has been wrongly villified. Yet another dietary pendulum swing. It still doesn't mean that even healthy fat can be eaten with abandon.
    They used data from the USDA for possible macro intake also accounting for food disappearance (food available for sale - wastage = consumed).......nutrition is a wonderful sugarland where grants are given out like candy. Anyway, no, not even close to anything resembling reality.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpd-5oy59AR374Rq9a51YCWjCv7LQKdUaLIRwi35aWggGPIL4F
  • In all countries, carbs are the least expensive food available and therefore contribute the most cals. In most countries, animal fat is the most expensive, and therefore contribute the least cals.

Adkins dieters know that no carbs, all fat/protein make for weight loss. The 'study' proved nothing that wasn't already known.

It's still all about cals in, cals out.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    NO.
  • NancyKhuu
    NancyKhuu Posts: 87 Member
    I'm Asian born in Asia and have a rice - dominant diet. 80% of my calories used to be from white rice and I'm not fat. 5ft2 and 106lbs. The only reason I switch to high protein diet is to build muscles, not to lose fat. My cousin born in the US has a very low Carb diet, she rarely eats more than 1 cup of rice, and weights 20 lbs more than I do with the same height.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    NO.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Adkins dieters know that no carbs, all fat/protein make for weight loss. The 'study' proved nothing that wasn't already known.

and low carb is just another way of doing it.......it' not the "no carbs" that promotes weight loss, it's the caloric restriction - even though I'm inclined to agree that higher fat & protein promotes satiety which may make it easier to succeed for some people (does nobody remember the Twinkie Diet? http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html)
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    I'm Asian born in Asia and have a rice - dominant diet. 80% of my calories used to be from white rice and I'm not fat. 5ft2 and 106lbs. The only reason I switch to high protein diet is to build muscles, not to lose fat. My cousin born in the US has a very low Carb diet, she rarely eats more than 1 cup of rice, and weights 20 lbs more than I do with the same height.

Could the difference be that you got most of your carbs from just rice and your cousin got them from rice, pizza, donuts, cookies, french fries, and everything else that goes along with anwestern carbage junk diet.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    NO.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    How about no? I lost the majority of my bulk eating little other than carbs due to money, housing issues and ill-education.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member

Macronutrients are important yes, however you can eat 50% of the right carbohydrates all day every day and lose fat, gain muscle, look like a god/goddess.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member

Studies also show a lower incidence of colorectal cancers related to traditional Asian and Mediterranean diets.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Tagging to read the paper. A couple of words of caution:

1. The venue this paper is appearing in a working papers volume, which usually means it has not been rigorously peer-reviewed. Many working papers in social science fields are not reviewed at all.
    2. The authors are economists, not necessarily someone I would look to for advice on pretty much anything but certainly not physiology of nutrition.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    CALORIES make you fat, but only if you have too many of them.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Carbs are not the devil, but all things in moderation. People have a tendency to take things to the extreme, eat carbs, but don't make them 80% of your diet, same goes for fats, and keep calories in check, that's it. The main problem is that people who eat a lot of carbs and get fat are also just eating too much in general.

Rigger
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Lol um no........ carbs are not the enemy. .....
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Wrong.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Slide1.preview.gif
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Slide1.preview.gif

I knew it!
    A pyramid scheme :bigsmile:
  • jmarie1967
    jmarie1967 Posts: 51 Member

and low carb is just another way of doing it.......it' not the "no carbs" that promotes weight loss, it's the caloric restriction - even though I'm inclined to agree that higher fat & protein promotes satiety which may make it easier to succeed for some people (does nobody remember the Twinkie Diet? http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html)
    Agree, very little hunger with the atkins plan, and yes, most of do control calories, and exercise is important as well!