Plateau... any advice?

Options
After getting really good results to begin with my weight loss has slowed down over the past four weeks. I haven't lost ANYTHING in two weeks (I've weighed exactly 140.4lb every day), lost two pounds the week before but didn't lose an ounce for two weeks before then.

It's strange but my weight loss only slowed when I started my exercise regime properly; usually 50 minutes of cardio and 10 minutes of pushups / situps / leg lifts etc per day. I eat some of my exercise calories but usually not all of them. Should I eat them all, or should I not eat any of them?

If anyone has some advice on how to kick start my weight loss again I'd be very grateful! Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• hyrerocks
    hyrerocks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem and starting to get frustrated. I've decided to switch up my exercise routine and move from the elliptical and treadmill to aerobics. Maybe that will work.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat all of them, and maybe even a little more for a few days to stimulate your metabolism. Not sure how your calculating your exercise calories, but they may be underestimating & you might not be eating nearly as much. A lot of the weight loss mystery is trial & error....don't count a plateau as a failure, but as feedback from your body. Use that info to try something different.
  • resptech97
    Options
    I dont know if this will help or not but it worked for me.....CHEAT! Have a really good cheat day! The next day go right back to your "dieting" and exercise. Ive heard that it "shocks" your metabolism into the fat burning stage again. If you arent losing anything it couldnt hurt much. I did gain about 8 pounds on my cheat but it came right off plus some!
  • LauraAkaTigger
    LauraAkaTigger Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Try to vary your exercise so your body isn't getting used to it. Use different exercises and switch them around. Also make sure you have altered your calorie etc goals based on your new weight , not your starting weight.
    You may also be gaining muscle so you may see a difference in your waist etc measurements bytnitvon the scales so track this also, you may he making progress here you didn't realise.
    Also be sure you are calculating calories correctly and are not excluding small things that may make the difference,

only a view, bur hope it's helpful!!

Good luck with your goals!!
  • LauraAkaTigger
    LauraAkaTigger Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Try to vary your exercise so your body isn't getting used to it. Use different exercises and switch them around. Also make sure you have altered your calorie etc goals based on your new weight , not your starting weight.
    You may also be gaining muscle so you may see a difference in your waist etc measurements bytnitvon the scales so track this also, you may he making progress here you didn't realise.
    Also be sure you are calculating calories correctly and are not excluding small things that may make the difference,

only a view, bur hope it's helpful!!

Good luck with your goals!!

Please excuse the typos!! My phone doesn't show a preview ;-p
  • kaskanataliaanna
    kaskanataliaanna Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Keep going - don't give up. I did also hit the plateau in my 2nd week but I kept exercising and eating as usual and the scales "moving" in the right direction again :)

Weigh-in day tomorrow!!!!! Can't wait!!!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Hi there :flowerforyou:
    As you don't have much weight to lose, you will find that it becomes slower as you near your goal weight...however, it can be done!

As you have been working out more, those muscles may be holding onto more water..therefore it is important that you are drinking plenty of water throughout the day!

Try zig zagging your calories and altering the amount of exercise caloris you are consuming each day.

Try mixing up your workout a little bit...add abit of strength to you workouts!

Be patient...it will happen! I had a lovely plateau that lasted a month, but I finally got out of it!

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • SkinnySkelton
    Options
    Try changing your fitness techniques, You need to use different muscle groups otherwise your body gets used to it. Try doing more weights and less cardio, thats really works for me.
  • kayleigh333
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

Doing some strength training sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure where to start as I don't go to the gym, what kind of weights would be good for a beginner and does anyone have any good links / know a good workout dvd?
  • tinyliz
    tinyliz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Are you changeing your workouts? alternating what you do for cardio? Are you doing intervals? trying something completely different then what you do from your everyday rountine can break your slump.
  • tinyliz
    Options
    I agree with you, that changed mine. I was a cardio junkie but it wasn't until I added more weight routines and not so much cardio and it really helped.
  • tinyliz
    Options
    Try bodyrock.com she has great body strength exercises and some using weights. You should start with lite weights. 10lbs if that is to lite then move up.
  • CelticWarrior
    Options
    I had same issue, I just switched around the same exercise and it seems to be working.
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    and how many calories are you eating each day? If you're down to 1200 or less, then it's just not enough.
  • kayleigh333
    Options
    I've got 1,490 calories as my daily goal in order to lose a pound a week. I don't think I'd have the willpower to eat only 1,200 a day, I like eating too much lol!
  • kaskanataliaanna
    kaskanataliaanna Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! Weigh-in day today. I din't lose even an ounce and I didn't put any weight on... plateau again? Not happy...