Heavy lifting 5x5

Options
Hey all, I really need some help with heavy lifting 5x5. I'm completely new to lifting but am not finding the right info. I do not know where to even start with routines. I want to build some muscle to help loose abit of fat. Any help appreciated

Replies

• PetiteLittleFlower
    PetiteLittleFlower Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • charliejenny
    charliejenny Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Start with the regular

I.e chest n tri
    Back n bi
    Shoulders calves
    Legs ext

How many days you gonna train

Just start By walking around gym and concentrating on these muscle groups
    Dont be afraid to ask advice

But never ever lift heavy until your comfatable with your knowledge and understanding, enjoy reading and learning, Its such fun and so interesting when you get in deep
  • PetiteLittleFlower
    Options
    Start with the regular

I.e chest n tri
    Back n bi
    Shoulders calves
    Legs ext

But never ever lift heavy until your comfatable with your knowledge and understanding, enjoy reading and learning, Its such fun and so interesting when you get in deep

At the moment I work out 5x per week doing mostly hiit training and some weights. Is there so specific plan then? Should I just do each one before cardio? So day 1: chest and tri (any machinery) then 20-30 min cardio?
  • charliejenny
    Options
    Precisely...Dont over analysis at first...just two or three exersizes for each of the two muscle groups your trauning
    Try to do three sets with between 8 n 12 reps

So lets way chest Would be chest presses and flyes...3 sets of each, then triceps you would di kickbacks and extentions, try to keep it simple at first concentrate on form...the rest will follow..you will love it
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

^^^ this. stronglifts 5x5 is a great programme for beginners, and it's simple it tells you what to lift... but I recommend checking out the sticky threads in the above forum, because it has lots of extra advice for women, especially if you have no previous experience lifting.

in terms of learning how to do the actual lifts, look on you tube for anything of Mark Rippetoe. Or just do Rippetoe's Starting Strength programme which is also a really great beginners programme.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I also recommend Stronglifts or Starting Strength. To the person suggesting to just wander around the gym and hit machines at random, that is horrible advice. No structured program leads to no results and frustration. Choose a program and stick with it. If you just do random exercises every day, you'll have absolutely no way to track progress.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Just google Strong Lifts 5x5 and download the program. Better yet, order the book Starting Strength and do that program...I'm biased, but I think it's better. Don't over think it...both of these programs are tried and true...don't bastardize them...just do them the way they're intended to be done. Later on when you get more experience you can branch out. I did Starting Strength for about 7 months before I switched over to Wendler's 5/3/1.

With either SS or SL you'll be doing...

Workout A:
    Squats 3x5 (SS) or 5x5 (SL)
    Bench 3x5 or 5x5
    Dead Lift 1x5 (either program)

Workout B:
    Squats 3x5 or 5x5
    Standing Overhead Press 3x5 or 5x5
    Power Cleans or Pendlay Rows 3x5 or 5x5

With either program you will alternate between A and B 3x weekly. i.e. A,B,A....B,A,B....A,B,A...B,A,B....and into perpetuity until you change programs. Just follow the program...you start out light, but you add weight every time you lift, so you get "heavy" in pretty short order. You'll make awesome linear strength gains with either of these programs if you do them the way they're intended to be done. You will be tempted to add in your own ****...don't...do the program...you don't know enough of what you're doing right now so don't bastardize the program and just do it the way it is intended to be done...I can't really reiterate that enough.
  • charliejenny
    Options
    I didnt say randomly walk round, just prodded her to learn abit more before taking it to serious, ive seen lots of injuries by people walking un with programmes, high expectations...and no knowledge
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^^ this. stronglifts 5x5 is a great programme for beginners, and it's simple it tells you what to lift... but I recommend checking out the sticky threads in the above forum, because it has lots of extra advice for women, especially if you have no previous experience lifting.

in terms of learning how to do the actual lifts, look on you tube for anything of Mark Rippetoe. Or just do Rippetoe's Starting Strength programme which is also a really great beginners programme.

^^this.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing Stronglifts 5x5 and I love it!!! I definitely recommend it. I do sometimes add a few extra exercises if I have time that day. But that would be after I finish the program. I do the program the way it is written out. When I am finished and I have extra time, I might add dips, or some DB curls, and back extensions. Then I stretch and I'm done.
    It's a great program and really easy to follow!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I didnt say randomly walk round, just prodded her to learn abit more before taking it to serious, ive seen lots of injuries by people walking un with programmes, high expectations...and no knowledge

If you're doing an actual program like SS or SL you will have the knowledge...because you'll be doing an actual program...with, like...instructions and **** on how to properly do the program and how to properly progress and how to properly perform the exercises, etc. People get injured when they just do random ****...when they follow an actual program they tend to do very well...because they're following something with an intelligent design.

On that note...off to the gym now...bench today.
  • Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The Stronglifts app is very helpful and easy to use.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a great place to start. For a beginner compound movements are the best. It focuses on squat, bench press, barbell rows, overhead press and deadlift. All are compound exercises, and with all of them except the deadlift, you start with an empty bar. Google stronglifts, and check out the group here. Just bypass the machines and get right to the free weights.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    Start with the regular

I.e chest n tri
    Back n bi
    Shoulders calves
    Legs ext

Way to may isolation things here. Compound moves rule for beginners.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

This topic specifically:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

I really like the program. Simple, effective. I still do a modified version.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Just google Strong Lifts 5x5 and download the program. Better yet, order the book Starting Strength and do that program...I'm biased, but I think it's better. Don't over think it...both of these programs are tried and true...don't bastardize them...just do them the way they're intended to be done. Later on when you get more experience you can branch out. I did Starting Strength for about 7 months before I switched over to Wendler's 5/3/1.

Workout A:
    Bench 3x5 or 5x5

Workout B:
    Squats 3x5 or 5x5

With either program you will alternate between A and B 3x weekly. i.e. A,B,A....B,A,B....A,B,A...B,A,B....and into perpetuity until you change programs. Just follow the program...you start out light, but you add weight every time you lift, so you get "heavy" in pretty short order. You'll make awesome linear strength gains with either of these programs if you do them the way they're intended to be done. You will be tempted to add in your own ****...don't...do the program...you don't know enough of what you're doing right now so don't bastardize the program and just do it the way it is intended to be done...I can't really reiterate that enough.

i dont think any other explanation needs to be given. I would say 90% of the people looking into getting into a true heavy lifting routine (less than 6 reps per set) will do plenty of research before they dive in. I also watched a lot of Mark Rippetoe videos on youtube to help.
  • PetiteLittleFlower
    Options

Workout A:
    Bench 3x5 or 5x5

Workout B:
    Squats 3x5 or 5x5

i dont think any other explanation needs to be given. I would say 90% of the people looking into getting into a true heavy lifting routine (less than 6 reps per set) will do plenty of research before they dive in. I also watched a lot of Mark Rippetoe videos on youtube to help.

I have done a lot of research, my reason for posting on here is because I am unsure of what is the best programmes to go by. Research is key to a good overall knowledge I know but how can I be certain I am reading the best information?
  • PetiteLittleFlower
    Options

Workout A:
    Bench 3x5 or 5x5

Workout B:
    Squats 3x5 or 5x5

Thank you. I have downloaded it, I will research how to do the lifts correctly then hopefully be able to start mon