Do any of you have a cheat day?

Options

Replies

• kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I don't eat exactly the same every day. I go over my calories 2-3 times a week (by several hundred or so) but by the end of the week, I even out to exactly what I was supposed to get (plus or minus 200-500 for the entire week). I don't eat that cleanly. If I want a cheesecake, I eat it. If I want a quarter pounder with cheese from McD's, I eat it. I do, however, realize you can't get much bang for your calories for those types of food so some I decide are not worth it. I make choices. I might reduce the portion or substitute the sides I might have with it. I also realize those foods don't give you the same bang for nutrition either, so I make sure I make some good choices there too. Ideally speaking, a nutrient dense diet is better for you but for sustainability, I gotta have a mix. The goal, for now, is to be able to keep it off. I can do that if I don't have really strict rules that I can't stick to forever.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Double post.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    By most people's standards around here, of which I do not subscribe, I cheat everyday.
  • healthymelisa
    healthymelisa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have my cheat day on Sunday but I don't go overboard. It's my day to enjoy the tempting treats I didn't have during the week.
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am on a carb cycling plan that allows for one day to have 1,000 extra calories. For me this is good because if I allowed myself things I wanted several times during the week I would starve myself most of the day to have something that was junk and it would throw off my macro nutrient ratio and spike my blood sugar sending me into cravings the next day. I also think having a cheat meal or day keeps your body guessing and kick starts more weight loss.
  • ellepribro
    ellepribro Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I dislike the concept of cheat days or meals. It has such a negative connotation. I just eat whatever I want and work it into my calories. That's what works for me.
  • Shawneb66
    Shawneb66 Posts: 124
    Options
    I cheated for all the years leading up to my obesity and when I was first starting out, I decided to NOT have a cheat day. Now that I am closer to my ultimate goal...I have cheat days because I feel I've earned them now. Good Luck finding what works for you!
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I work whatever I want to eat into my deficit so I don't need to cheat.

I do have higher calorie days every so often though. I have lower calorie days every so often too.
  • leesyc81
    leesyc81 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I was having a cheat day every time i hit a target, such as a stone. I have had many cheat days recently but i just end up re-losing the same few pounds over and over. Im hoping not to have a cheat day now until i lose another stone, now that everyone's birthdays are over with. It has always set me back and guilt kicks in. Everyone is different though
  • jarredondo
    jarredondo Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My Friday's are kind of a cheat day. I am training for a marathon in the fall and my long training runs are on Saturday mornings. I intentionally go over my calorie goal on Fridays because I need to make sure I am fueled for Saturday morning. I don't go crazy on what I eat and I do try to keep it healthy.
  • ashleew1117
    ashleew1117 Posts: 158
    Options
    I don't really have cheat days, if i want something i'm going to have it but in moderation (:

80/20 rule.
  • sealevels
    sealevels Posts: 123
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day, I have one cheat meal per week.

I bounce right back from it. I don't go all out, I just go over by a few hundred.
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Since I started my weight loss I do a cheat meal every weekend. I guess you could say I do two cheat meals, because I have one for a dinner and one for a dessert. I still log these calories though. On cheat days I try not to exceed my maintenance level calories, so really I'm just working the food into my weekend calorie goals. I've also just gotten better about working what I want to into into my regular diet throughout the week. Since I cook for myself I can maintain a lot of control over just how "bad" a dish is. Just recently I ate quesadillas for dinner which for most people would be considered junk food, but it was actually a pretty reasonable meal in the end.

A couple of weeks ago I made the decision to alternate my cheat meals every other weekend. I started to feel like I was looking forward to the meals a little too much. One of my problems with being overweight was that I rewarded myself with food a lot. Even though I have more discipline now I would like to try and shift away from that mentality. I've substituted every other weekend with the reward of going out and getting one new article of clothing. I very rarely buy things like that for myself so I think it's a good compromise. Plus it lets me replace all of the clothes that are too big for me now :)
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I don't have an official cheat day. I do go over on occasion, sometimes by a lot. Not on a regular basis though, more like when life intervenes. For example, today we are going to Reno, to do a little gambling. I will go over, my calorie goals. No biggie, happens infrequently enough to not have a big effect.

Having lost 55 pounds, not once have I used food as a reward. For me that is a slippery slope. I do enjoy reward though, a new fragrance, clothing item, cosmetics etc.
  • taniiagirl
    taniiagirl Posts: 47
    Options
    I give myself a treat/cheat day once a week. Just to kick back, munch and have that one day a week with my other half where I dont have to worry about calories or workouts. I am always careful not to eat too much though I have never set myself back on my cheat days so I have found a balance and am happy to stick with it.
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I dislike the concept of cheat days or meals. It has such a negative connotation. I just eat whatever I want and work it into my calories. That's what works for me.

This.

DH likes to go out to lunch or dinner or Sundays. Knowing we are going out I generally adjust my meals before and after accordingly, but not always. So I guess one might call it a cheat day. I just call it life.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I have cheat days but I try to keep it to a dull roar. I don't have them often. Most of the time my cheat days are under my activity too.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I don't call them cheat meals/snacks anymore. Too negative. I do enjoy a good glass of single scotch or bourbon post long runs. To some, this is consider a cheat snakc. To me, it's something I look forward to after my long runs.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    IIFYM
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have my goal set to maintenance and I go by weeks.

So, I add up my weekly consumed calories and burnt calories, and hope to have my net below maintenance (which is always is).