It's official..I give up.

Options
I've logged on MFP for 196 days in a row.I stay under my calories.I exercise EVERYDAY.Lose nothing.In fact,I'm gaining.I'm convinced it's my blood pressure medicine.I will call the Dr first thing Monday morning to change it.I've waited long enough.I've tried "In Place of a road map" for 3 months.I did lose in the beginning..but then it all went down hill.Sorry to be a negative Nelly this am..Just needed to vent a little.
Any other advice?
Amanda

Replies

• wheatmls
    wheatmls Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should also have your doctor check your thyroid. It can cause your body to resist weight loss and even gain in some cases. It's also kind of one of those things that doesn't have symptoms so you might not even know it's a little off unless you have it checked.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I've logged on MFP for 196 days in a row.I stay under my calories.I exercise EVERYDAY.Lose nothing.In fact,I'm gaining.I'm convinced it's my blood pressure medicine.I will call the Dr first thing Monday morning to change it.I've waited long enough.I've tried "In Place of a road map" for 3 months.I did lose in the beginning..but then it all went down hill.Sorry to be a negative Nelly this am..Just needed to vent a little.
    Any other advice?
    Amanda

According to your ticker you only have 7.5 lbs to lose. If that's accurate, I'd recommend focusing on strength training to help lose unwanted fat. The scale might not change much, but you'll see a difference in inches, which (my .02 only) is better. Also, measure twice and eat once. Make sure you're really accurately measuring your food ... little slips add up.

Finally, if you open your food diary up, some of the pros here might be able to offer some tips on that

All the best
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options

According to your ticker you only have 7.5 lbs to lose. If that's accurate, I'd recommend focusing on strength training to help lose unwanted fat. The scale might not change much, but you'll see a difference in inches, which (my .02 only) is better. Also, measure twice and eat once. Make sure you're really accurately measuring your food ... little slips add up.

Finally, if you open your food diary up, some of the pros here might be able to offer some tips on that

All the best
    Exactly. You only have ~7 lbs to lose. You don't look like you have anything to lose. It is definitely time to strength train if you aren't already doing so.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Any other advice?
    Amanda

All the best

Little bit of this..
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out....you'll accomplish nothing by quitting. good idea to see your doctor, but your attitude sucks.

Little bit of that.

But really, you haven't given enough information, nor is your diary open, so we can't give suggestions. How will you feel when you give up, and if you see the scale going higher?

You need a small deficit and lots of patients to lose 7.5lbs and keep it off.

Start lifting heavy and the scale won't even matter, you can reshape your body
  • deanna418
    deanna418 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd talk to your doctor and see if he can run some blood work. After I had my youngest I lost maybe 5lbs. Before I had gotten pregnant I was working out 5 days a week and was smaller then I had been in a very long time. My midwife explained to me that I might be having thyroid issues but I needed to go to my PCP. My PCP didn't believe in weight loss and hypothyroidism. Went to a new doc a year and a half later and that was the problem.

But I hear ya on the giving up. I gave up when I only lost 10lbs after working out and watching what I ate before I found out that I had hypothyroidism. Here is a link about hypothyroidism. Check out the symptoms because you never know.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypothyroidism/DS00353
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Well you said "it's official" and I don't wanna mess with that so, yeah.
  • Mau820
    Mau820 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was having a similar problem, but only after giving a try for a month. I am older than you, but I cannot eat the allotted calories and still lose. So I tried sticking to the 1200 and I do not add exercised calories. I also modified my goal settings by increasing protein and lowering carbs and lowering the allotted daily sodium. I have finally started losing weight

You are rounding to 40 and there is a change in ease/difficulty to lose weight with each decade we approach. I noticed it as I neared 30, then 40, and now 50.

Once I reach my goal, I will readjust my plan to find out what I need to do to maintain. Don't give up...just try something different:flowerforyou:
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    You say that you stay under your cals? Are you eating back exercise cals? What are you eating, what is your exercise routine?
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out....you'll accomplish nothing by quitting. good idea to see your doctor, but your attitude sucks.
    Harsh but true. Obviously there is something impeding your progress, but with the little information you've provided and the closed diary, no one here can really help. Good luck!
  • Shea100
    Shea100 Posts: 16
    Options
    DON'T YOU DARE GIVE UP!

You have accomplished so much! Please add up all the benefits and accomplishments so far:

#1: You've made a committed effort for 6 months! That's awesome!
    #2: You only have 7.5 pounds to go!
    #3: Your body is healthier and stronger!
    #4: Your eating more nutritious foods that contribute to your overall health!
    #5: You've made new friends!
    #6: How many more can you add to this?

Now, I'm like you. You said, "I stay under my calories..."
    I've been trying to keep my calories just under my calorie goal too.

However, I just noticed a statement at the bottom of my Food Journal Report from yesterday that applies to both of us:

" Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1200 calories per day minimum."

That goes against my thinking and instincts. How about you?
    It makes sense to me that fewer calories + more exercise = losing weight.

However, I keep seeing messages similar to the Starvation Mode Statement on everyone's posts; and I'm trying to understand it and convince myself that they are right. Do you think the Starvation Mode applies to your situation? Have you tried to follow the guidance in this statement? It might jump start your metabolism and help you eliminate those last few pounds; but I don't know. It might be worth a try.

Whatever you decide to do, DO NOT GIVE UP.
    You have made an awesome accomplishment already, and you deserve to finish the course!
    So Keep On Striving and remember to enjoy ALL the benefits.
  • Jenni272
    Jenni272 Posts: 9
    Options
    Don't listen to these people that tell you "Don't let the door hit you". It's obvious you want someone to talk you out of quitting or you would not have posted. You would have just logged off and not come back if you were at wits end. You want help, that is clear.

I don't know your routine or eating habits. I also don't know your health or anything either. My advice is go to your doctor and ask why you are not losing weight and show him a copy of what you eat and log on MFP. That way they will have something to go by that is accurate. (so long as you log everything) It could be as simple as water retention. Get it checked. Good luck.
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I know how frustrated you must feel. I was there a few weeks ago. After keeping a 1,000 calorie deficit for 6 weeks I had only lost 4 lbs. I think I am insulin resistant. I started Chris Powell's carb cycling program 5 days ago and have already lost 4 lbs! I have renewed hope. Sometimes it's not all about calories in, calories out. It's the composition of your diet.
  • ellepribro
    ellepribro Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    A positive attitude will take you far.
    We can't see your diary so it's hard to give advice there. Perhaps you're overindulging on your days off? Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • allisage2012
    Options
    I was on a popular shake diet and walking every day.... And packing on the lbs.... I went to the dr and ill be honest i was scared... She ran a bunch of labs and one of them was a Vit D. My Vit D was very low.... There are many not good things with Vit D being low and one of them is weight gain.... So yes plz go to the dr get things checked out.... And if you are in a quitting mood thats ok your human... But tomorrow wake up put them boxing gloves on and fight on... We only live once and if that time is spent sayn i cant or i give up then we are just surviving not really living. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Winners never quit... quitters never lose. ;)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I saw a previous post in which you were saying that you lost a bunch of inches doing the JM video or whatever that is.

Why are you wrapped up in the scale if you're losing inches? The 7.5 lbs on the scale don't matter at all. What matters is the inches. If you have indeed dropped inches, like you said, I think your OP here is misguided.

Strength training is what I'd recommend, but not if you can't get over hopping on the scale and worrying about the number constantly, because when you're lifting weights, that number fluctuates up and down all the time. It doesn't matter to me so much, as I understand what's going on. I care about losing body fat (which is why I'm concerned with measurements) and my own performance goals. 7.5 pounds either way is nothing, really!

What is your body fat %? If your measurements are changing for the better, you've really got nothing to complain about and you're doing great. Congratulations!
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I saw a previous post in which you were saying that you lost a bunch of inches doing the JM video or whatever that is.

Why are you wrapped up in the scale if you're losing inches? The 7.5 lbs on the scale don't matter at all. What matters is the inches. If you have indeed dropped inches, like you said, I think your OP here is misguided.

Strength training is what I'd recommend, but not if you can't get over hopping on the scale and worrying about the number constantly, because when you're lifting weights, that number fluctuates up and down all the time. It doesn't matter to me so much, as I understand what's going on. I care about losing body fat (which is why I'm concerned with measurements) and my own performance goals. 7.5 pounds either way is nothing, really!

What is your body fat %? If your measurements are changing for the better, you've really got nothing to complain about and you're doing great. Congratulations!
    This exactly!
  • Truckergirl922
    Options
    Starvation Mode is absolutely true! I am living proof. Think of this analogy. I used to hate water. Never drank it, and could go all day at work without ever going to the restroom. Every diet I ever started - the first thing I did was start drinking water. I would lose 10lbs in 2 weeks by doing nothing else. Once your body realizes you will start giving it what it needs to survive, it will release the excess. Food is the same way. If you don't feed it, it will store every calorie it gets and take what it needs from your muscles leaving you with nothing but fat.

Don't give up, just do things differently. Listen to your body. Eat food, drink water. The harder we are on our bodies the harder it will fight you. Your body doesn't know the difference between forced famine and voluntary famine and will react the same. Then once you come of the diet restrictions, your body becomes the typical kid in the candy store and wants everything in sight. You binge and since your metabolism has shutdown, you gain twice as much back. Dog chasing its tail comes to mind.

Check out the book Intuitive Eating. It is a real eye opener to the dangers of restrictive dieting. Good luck and Good job (I wish I only had 7lbs to go - I would be on top of the world).
  • Deebrack
    Deebrack Posts: 2
    Options
    You should not give up! You should however go to the doctor and have them check for other causes, but remember to as you get closer to your weight goals your body resist more. So maybe switch up your routine. Add weight lifting not only does it help you lose weight but it help improve your brain function. I hope this helps God Bless you. :wink:
    Stay encouraged!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to lose 7.5 pounds? If it's a number on a table somewhere, why let a table of numbers dictate your satisfaction with your body?

If you do want to lose those additional pounds, be aware that your weight will still fluctuate back and forth Once you've reached your goal ... That's just how our bodies work. I find that as I get closer and closer to my goal it becomes harder to lose the rest ... As others have said, that's where strength training comes in.