Any HIIT experts out there who can help a newbie?

Options
A little background: I'm 59, and I have an as-yet undiagnosed hip pain on the right side that the doctor is sending me to PT for, though it could be arthritis. I have lost 42 pounds since Dec. 31, all of it on MFP, and I have 36 pounds to goal.

The pain fortunately gets much better when I am warmed up with exercise, and during the past 6 weeks or so I have been building up from (therapeutic) yoga, walking and hiking to low-impact aerobics tapes walking tapes. Now I can do an hour or more of them, and I do at least 36 minutes almost every day.

Some of the tapes include a little bit of interval--just two bouts or so in a workout--which has gotten me interested in doing true HIIT training. But when I read about it, I'm confused. There's the one-minute high intensity, one-minute rest; the 20 seconds intensity, 10 seconds rest; and then I've been reading quite a bit about Wingate sessions, which are 30 seconds intensity, 4-minute rest. I'll admit that appeals to me, as resting is something I do very well! And legitimate reasons too--I don't want to injure myself or get myself in a bad way from trying to do too much too fast.

So my question is, what can a person who's really not up to burpees and some other fairly scary-looking moves I see do, in the absence of any sophisticated equipment? The DVDs I have use the fast-feet method--like what football players do, with the legs a couple of feet apart, bending forward and "running" in place as fast as possible. I can do that because it's not very high impact and doesn't involve movements that are outside my range of motion. Another move I've been able to do is the one where one leg squats down in front and the other leg is a good bit behind, and you keep pulling the knee up and forward to the chest, then back into position.

Can either or both of these count as a sprint? How do I know if I'm reaching my maximum heartrate during the sprint? What should I be doing during the "rest"--literally rest, or go down to a moderate aerobic exercise, or minimal movement, just side steps with taps or something? And how long should the intervals be, and how many should I do to gain the great benefit from HIIT?

Many thanks for any and all help you can give me.

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Whoa. I am not an expert (FAR from it) but true HIIT involves really going to the max effort your cardio system can handle. It sounds like your orthopedic issues might make that difficult?

All the no equipment options I can think of involve either fairly gymnastic moves, or else jumping or other impact. That's why I go to a gym :/ If that's something you're willing to do, stationary cycling or rowing might be within reach (I don't know what your limitations are). I like those, both are low impact.

Another option that would get your heart rate up in an interval-like fashion would be so-called 'metabolic circuits' - alternating high-rep, low weight* strength and/or bodyweight exercises with short or limited rest periods. You could do these with dumbbells at home. An example of this would be Men's Health's 'Spartacus' workout. Or, I am given to understand, some series by Chalean Extreme, or Les Mills' Body Pump (these are DVDs and maybe classes, dunno).

*but not SUPER low, I mean, still challenging within a repetition range.

One of the interval programs I've been looking at (& trying to do, on a cycle) is based on research by an Australian university (see pubs here: http://medicalsciences.med.unsw.edu.au/user/12582 ). 8 seconds on, 12 off, 20 mins plus warmup/cooldown. The idea is that intervals encourage a certain pattern of catecholamine response, which they think is why it works for fat loss.

They got to that 8/12 system partly because they were looking for something most people could do. I think probably 1 min on/1 min off or any of them would do well enough for you (or me). That's not to be patronizing or anything. Check out 'fartlek' training for runners. It's also intervals, but it just means 'go as fast as you can until you feel like you can't or don't want to, and do it again when you want to again'. Has shown the same results as more structured intervals (for cardio fitness).
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    By the way congrats on your success so far!
  • Pinupdollrawr
    Pinupdollrawr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    As long as you can get your heart rate way up above to where you can not even talk and then some and then drop to a little rest and repeat. It's HIIT . For example really fast power walking and then a slow walk and repeat. Another form of low impact for you could be the elliptical. All the intense HIIT i have seen have been: 20 to :10 or :30 to :10 and for a total of 10-25 minutes. Hope this helps! Congrats on your loss And good luck !
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to both of you!!! Really helpful.
  • chefmomcara
    Options
    Hi,

Well done on how much you have achieved so far, as well as using my fitness pal I am using my Xiser it is great for doing High Intensity interval Training, (short bursts) I too have done hour long sessions of aerobics, yoga, pilates and running around the park and found this was not only time consuming but it was also have a bad affect on my joints.Even had a gym membership (which I have now cancelled) My husband and I had also heard about hiit and we did some research and came across a website http://www.sprinttraining.co.uk they talk about the science behind it and also talk about how many people have used the xiser for rehabilitation after injury or for medical issuse they also have videos on the site showing you how to use the Xiser. We decided to buy one and it was the best thing we have ever bought we both use it you only have to use every other day and go on it for 4 minutes in total through out the day we just do 20 seconds the rest for 20 then 20 more then rest again until we have done 1 minute you can also do other exercises on it for your arms one the other days but at the moment I have just kept to the basics. I have found whilst using it I have not only lost weight my posture is better, my skin looks healthier I am sleeping better. I can't stop talking about it everyone who comes into my home has to have a go I even took it to work and we all used it told them they can buy their own :). We are even taking it on holiday with us as it so portable. I hope you continue to reach your goal and find a form of exercise that is right for you.
  • zobqueen
    zobqueen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps some -

Read this article - High Intensity Interval Training 101. Link: http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2013/06/21/interval-training.aspx

There are links and videos to watch - great site.

Hope this helps. :happy:
  • zobqueen
    Options
    Here's another link for you:

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2013/04/12/tabata-workout.aspx

Let me know if these help.

Good Luck!
  • zobqueen
    Options
    PS:

I had left hip pain and stiffness. Try out a Rossiter Therapist in your area. http://therossitersystem.com/rossiter-basics.htm

I have gone to one a couple times now and it has really helped to alleviate the pain in my left hip and have her working on my feet. Just one treatment on the hip and it was like - wow- for me. One treatment on the feet and it helped greatly. Then she left for a two month trip to Alaska with her husband. So I have to wait for her return (only one here in Roswell) to work on the feet a bit more(have some issues with feet). Been to podiatrists with them and they can't find anything wrong(bone wise), but definitely something going on with my four toes turning in towards the big toes (left foot the worst). Podiatrist said they could do cosmetic surgery for the toes turning in, but I would be laid up for 6 months. I don't want that - that's for sure.

Worth a try? Don'tcha think? :wink: I know it sure helped my hip!

Let me know - how it goes.