Ladies, how many lbs lost before you went down a dress size?

Options
I started at 5'5 and 154lbs (11 stone UK size 12-14). I now weigh 133 (9 1/2 stone UK size 12).
My main goal was to get down to a comfortable size 10, but I'm disappointed that with my reasonably low starting weight, and a loss of 21lb I'm still not there.
I fit into a 10 in some clothes like stretchy leggings etc, but 20lbs in and I haven't lost even 1/2" on my thighs.

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    The issue might be body composition. Do you do any form of resistance/strength exercises?

To answer your question, I lost about 10-15 lbs per dress size, a bit less the closer I got to goal. I think it's different for everyone though.
  • shawnatheobald
    Options
    It really depends, I think. I'm down 44 lbs and have lost about 3 sizes, but my clothes didn't start feeling looser until about the 25 lb mark.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
  • em2102
    em2102 Posts: 4
    Options
    Well you can't really influence where you lose weight, if you have trouble losing it on your thighs, you're likley a pear shape http://kslenderliving.net/pear-shape-dress-and-workou/ you just have to keep going.

I'm kinda the opposite, I'm upper body heave. I started with 159lbs which for me was a UK size 8-10 for pants and more like 10-12 for shirts, I'd relly rather have body compostion.

It took me about 12 lbs to lose a dress size
  • lea123e
    lea123e Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm a uk 18 currently and can drop 10-12lbs with no difference! When I get past this point I'll let you know :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I've seen cases where women gain weight, but go down a dress size. There's no fixed number of lbs per dress size. If you're losing actual fat (as opposed to water weight, bone density and muscle mass) then you will get smaller and go down dress sizes. You need to focus on losing just fat and not anything else. The way to do that is to lose weight slowly (unless you have a huge amount of fat to lose or you're running marathons, you're not going to burn more than 1-2lb a week of fat in a week. Eating plenty of protein and doing strength training helps to increase your bone density and protect your muscles from loss of muscle mass, thus helping to ensure that what you lose is pure fat and nothing else. Although having said that, water weight losses are inevitable, but you do tend to put them back on again when you switch to maintenance so you just have to remember not to freak out about that when you get there. Focus on body composition (i.e. losing actual fat, getting to a smaller dress size) rather than the scale.
  • Mellzicious
    Options
    It's usually 10-15 lbs per dress size but I'm sure it depends on the individual.
  • rachy867
    rachy867 Posts: 32
    Options
    I think on a general population average they estimate 10lb per dress size, however saying that, I did have to lose 14lb to go down a dress size, but this time I've only lost 3lb and gone done a dress size, the numbers on the scale are very slow going down for me, but at the end of the day I don't go by that, my body has changed, it is getting smaller, my measurements are decreasing and I am becoming more muscly. So don't always go by the numbers on the scales.