clothing exchanges

Options
Just wondered if anyone has ever done that on this site before or know of a site that does it. I have shrunk out of my clothes and looking to get something to wear to work, casual office. I have been searching salvation army and goodwill but no luck, probably because everything is always too short, I am 6 ft tall! I started wearing 26 and 3X/4X and now into 20 pants and 1X shirts, which is YAY for me but bad for me :( Plus I hate to buy new clothes and waste money since hopefully I won't be wearing those very long either. It's the worse part about losing weight especially when you are financially struggling as it is. I just wondered if anyone else knew of something besides what I have already thought about.

Replies

• littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I've never seen anything like that on here, but I think it's a great idea!
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've shrunk out of my bras! I was wearing 38 Cs and now I'm needing 34 Cs. ...If I keep going this way, it will likely change to Bs. I don't want to buy new ones, like the OP, because I am still 13 pounds from my goal and will likely shrink more. LOL

So far, everything at Goodwill has been too large or too small.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I have seen a couple of FaceBook pages for clothing exchanges, maybe you could check there to see if there is one in your area? Or maybe you can see how they work and start one. I have given away clothes on FreeCycle, you can also ask for things there so you might want to try that as well!

7396232.png
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'8" but I have the same problem with things being too short. I still go to Goodwill and the swap meet. I can't afford anything else.

I would love to see a clothing exchange. My brother is 6'4" and weights about 400 lbs. he has a 54" waist and 20" neck. He's been off work for quite some time and just got a job, but needs dress clothes. I see all the guys that have lost the weight and wondered where they take thier clothes.

P.S. I really wish my brother would lose the weight. I worry about him having a heart attack or injuring his back or knees. He says he's not motivated right now.
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You should take a look at Ebay, specifically "lots". It's a bit of a gamble as to what you get, but when you break down the price per pant, it's pretty cheap and a good deal. Especially for transitional clothes.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_osacat=63863&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R1.TR4.TRC0.A0.X20+lot.TRS0&_nkw=womens+size+20+lot&_sacat=63863&_from=R40
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    this is an awesome Idea!! I have done ebay & gotten some pretty good deals.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain and have changed almost exactly the same size range in the past several years (I lost some weight before joining MFP).

My issue has been with thrift stores and secondhand shops having an excellent selection up to size 16 (which I can rarely get into yet) and then an excellent selection of size 22+. So it's like this weird gap of 18-20! Maybe those are very popular sizes?! I don't know.

I've also had some fit issues. There are now many brands of jeans that size 20 is decidedly too large but size 18 is cut totally wrong, not enough room in the hips, tight in odd spots, length too short, etc. I'm hoping I am just in an awkward phase. But this is weird for me because for years and years I've just grabbed a 22 and it worked like it was made for my body specifically, even when I did have issues with needing a bunch of different shirt sizes, pants and jeans were always easy. Meh! I hate to complain because I'd still rather be smaller now, but ugh!
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Another idea, if you have a big group of friends or network, is to host a clothing swap. It's a great way to get clothes for free

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2010/06/18/dress-yourself-for-free-host-a-clothing-swap/
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You should take a look at Ebay, specifically "lots". It's a bit of a gamble as to what you get, but when you break down the price per pant, it's pretty cheap and a good deal. Especially for transitional clothes.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_osacat=63863&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R1.TR4.TRC0.A0.X20+lot.TRS0&_nkw=womens+size+20+lot&_sacat=63863&_from=R40

Thanks so much! I never thought about looking for 'lots' on ebey. Looks very promising!