Smokers

Options

Replies

• laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I've been smoking since I was 18. 11 years. It's horrible. So expensive. But I honestly love it. I kind of chain smoke. Scratch that. Okay, I chain smoke. I would probably save $30/week if I quit since I probably buy a pack 5 times a week. That's $120/month which would cover the cost of my cell phone or cable bill. It's crazy! I also quit in 2006 for a year. I used the patch and it worked well that time. This time I tried to quit a few weeks ago, used a generic patch that my friend gave me. I put it on my shoulder blade and it made my whole right arm hurt. Not sure why. So I would use it until I felt the pain coming back then take it off. That did the trick for 2 days while I was away with family (I NEVER smoke in front of them. They hate it and it makes them sad). As soon as I came back I started again. I also tried the e-cig about a month before that. I didn't really like it. Nice concept but it's too heavy and doesn't feel like a cigarette. It feels like a long AA battery and the vapor actually bothered my lungs more than a real cigarette. Plus it was weird and kind of felt like a show like "ooh yes I'm trying to quit smoking look at my cool blu e-cig with the little light on it. I can smoke in this restaurant or in your house now!" Haha. I know I'm not mentally ready to quit. But it's scary because I think the only time I really will be is if/when I get cancer/emphysema/COPD or pregnant. But who knows, by that time I might say "Screw it I already have cancer". I know what cancer looks like since my fiancee passed away from brain cancer. We quit together for a year, but then when he passed away I started smoking again at the funeral for obvious stress-related reasons.

It's a really tough road. I would strongly encourage anyone to just not even start. It's soooo not worth it at all. The cons outweigh the pros by leaps and bounds. It's really sad how big of an industry it is because all of these companies should not only be shut down but also sued and the CEO's incarcerated.

p.s. Also DEATHLY afraid of gaining weight again. When I quit for a year my weight went up to 190. Highest it has ever been in my life. I'm 5'4"! But I was also pretty much living in a hospital, going to college and working part-time at a stupid job. So none of those things helped!
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I've been smoking since I was 18. 11 years. It's horrible. So expensive. But I honestly love it. I kind of chain smoke. Scratch that. Okay, I chain smoke. I would probably save $30/week if I quit since I probably buy a pack 5 times a week. That's $120/month which would cover the cost of my cell phone or cable bill. It's crazy! I also quit in 2006 for a year. I used the patch and it worked well that time. This time I tried to quit a few weeks ago, used a generic patch that my friend gave me. I put it on my shoulder blade and it made my whole right arm hurt. Not sure why. So I would use it until I felt the pain coming back then take it off. That did the trick for 2 days while I was away with family (I NEVER smoke in front of them. They hate it and it makes them sad). As soon as I came back I started again. I also tried the e-cig about a month before that. I didn't really like it. Nice concept but it's too heavy and doesn't feel like a cigarette. It feels like a long AA battery and the vapor actually bothered my lungs more than a real cigarette. Plus it was weird and kind of felt like a show like "ooh yes I'm trying to quit smoking look at my cool blu e-cig with the little light on it. I can smoke in this restaurant or in your house now!" Haha. I know I'm not mentally ready to quit. But it's scary because I think the only time I really will be is if/when I get cancer/emphysema/COPD or pregnant. But who knows, by that time I might say "Screw it I already have cancer". I know what cancer looks like since my fiancee passed away from brain cancer. We quit together for a year, but then when he passed away I started smoking again at the funeral for obvious stress-related reasons.

It's a really tough road. I would strongly encourage anyone to just not even start. It's soooo not worth it at all. The cons outweigh the pros by leaps and bounds. It's really sad how big of an industry it is because all of these companies should not only be shut down but also sued and the CEO's incarcerated.

p.s. Also DEATHLY afraid of gaining weight again. When I quit for a year my weight went up to 190. Highest it has ever been in my life. I'm 5'4"! But I was also pretty much living in a hospital, going to college and working part-time at a stupid job. So none of those things helped!

You have been through hell and back. Look how far you've come! I understand your line of thinking. We ("smokeaholics" I think someone said -love it) rationalize the habit. You sound like you're on the trajectory to quit, you've got the motivating factors, it sounds like your family could be a great support system. And like another poster said, you don't have to gain weight when you quit, and if you do, you can lose the weight. Lungs are a lot harder to come by! You'll get to your right place.

One of the things that helped motivate me was that my gyno refused to prescribe me birth control pills if I was still smoking because of the risk of DVT. At the time I was really frustrated (and too scared to lie to her about it). I'm glad she did that because a) it motivated me to quit, and b) after starting nursing school and seeing 3 patients with DVT related to being on the pill as smokers, that stuff is no joke. It ruins lives.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I quit a 20 year smoking habit cold turkey a year and a half ago. You have to be ready to do this or its not going to happen, cutting back from a pack to 2 or 3 a day is pointless, you need to just stop. The first 2 weeks will be pure hell, insomnia, mood swings from angry to sad to really angry to really sad. I drank LOTS of water and did deep breathing to get past the really bad moments.

After a month you will feel better, the mood swings should stop and all that is left is the urges to smoke.. I wont lie and tell you the urges will stop soon, they take about 6 months before you totally forget about them. But its all about self control.. and you can do it!

I know this all sounds like a "hassle" .. and it is. BUT the other side of things is to continue to smoke, you will smell like crap, you will spend a crazy amount of money and all for the price of early death. It isnt a possibility that you will die young, its a guarantee. You will end up with COPD or Cancer or both. So stop now, you will be glad you did.

I cant stand how smokers smell now, its a dirty, stupid, ugly habit that will kill you.
  • healthytanya1
    healthytanya1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I've been smoking about 10 years and tried quitting a couple times. It's really hard doing cardio as a smoker but I just haven't hit that point of really wanting it enough to quit. Maybe when I lose all my weight I will feel better about myself and want to quit smoking.
  • Diana8923
    Diana8923 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!!! I want you to know that I quit smoking 5 weeks ago. I am now a happy non-smoker, thanks to the Allen Carr book that a friend on this forum sent me. :) I had so much support from you guys... Thank you!
    I was so eager to write here my own success story and now I can. After 5 weeks, I now consider myself cured. Quitting is muuuuuch easier than I thought it would be. I didn't gain weight - I even lost 2 kilos - I didn't lock myself in the house, but I went out more; I continue to drink my coffee, take my breaks and hang out with my smoking friends (these things I learned in the book). And I really think now that I took the best decision I could take.

If anyone needs someone to talk to about quitting smoking, feel free to add me.

Lots of hugs! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I know this thread is a few days old, but still wanted to give my 2 cents.

I was a smoker for 17 years until about 9 months ago when I started using a personal vaporizer. I did not have the withdrawal symptoms as I had trying other methods of quitting in the past, and it's much healthier. My lungs no longer feel bruised, I lost my smoker's cough, and I can actually breathe again.
    The chemicals in e-cigs, opposed to the false information posted here, are not terrible for you. The juice I use contains propylene glycol, vegetable glycerine, flavor, and nicotine. I know exactly what I am putting into my body at all times, and the juice I use is no more harmful than using a nebulizer minus the medicine. Nicotine, in and of itself, is no more harmful to the body than caffeine, as it is also merely a stimulant (not to mention the most widely used one on this planet) and does not cause cancer.

Side note: Those little Blu e-cigs and the like are not the same as personal vaporizers. Cigarette companies will shortly be coming out with their very own version. Am I surprised? Hell no. You should have seen big tobacco lobbyists here at our capitol on the day a bill to tax and treat personal vaporizers the same as cigarettes was to be reviewed. Disgusting, but I digress.

Overall, I am extremely happy with my choice to quit smoking and my choice to start vaping. I love it and I feel great! I highly recommend stopping into your local vape shop for some information. :flowerforyou:
  • Trapwolf
    Trapwolf Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Im scared too..Ive been trying to ween down w/ the electric ciggs, but I still smoke about a pack a day...argh. But Ive decided to start slowly doing it, ...like the first day ( today) I am only having 1 cigg per hr, then next week, only 1 every 2 hrs, and when I crave in between I will have the electric cigg.

I am more afraid of snapping ..because I have anxiety issues than gaining weight.

I have been smoking 21 years..im 35 and I have COPD( Lung Disease)...
    I say lets do this.
  • Kellbellftw
    Kellbellftw Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've also smoked since about the age of 15/16 and I quit a little over a year and a half ago. I've quit time and time before, but always went back. This time I just woke up one morning and thought I wanted to quit. REALLY WANTED to quit, that was the key. I haven't smoked a cigarette since then, and never will. Even the smell of them make me sick, I couldn't imagine how I would feel actually inhaling one!! I didn't have an issue with it causing me to gain weight. I didn't have to replace my habit with gum or candy, so I didn't have that issue I guess. I hope one day you have the strength and motivation to kick the habit! Besides marrying my husband, that was the best decisions I have EVER made!
  • Skyetropics
    Skyetropics Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 60 days ago (give or a take a few) just by stopping. In order to stop smoking, you have to WANT to stop. That is only the first step. You have to decide why you want to stop and ask yourself if that is important enough to you. I quit smoking when I was pregnant with my daughter and after for almost 2 years. I told myself she was important enough to me to quit. and it was nasty anyway! Well sure enough after all that good work and tough talk, I let myself fall right off the wagon with a resounding thud to the point where last November after not smoking but maybe as cigarette or 2 per week (socially), I was smoking a half pack a week. I missed my hubby and was stressed out of my mind about bills and such. I never smoked around my daughter because I think it is just wrong to smoke around anyone that doesnt. Let them have a chance. Slowly though I cut down because it was interferring with the little workouts I was managing to do (pre MFP). Sucked! Finally I figured why I needed to quit and I had done it before so I could do it again. For good this time.....and I did. The first couple weeks are the worst but once you get past that, there really is no turning back. I am a BIG girl and have not gained any weight. Ive been losing weight actually. Not as fast as I would like but the scale is slowly moving.

I hate to see people constantly worry about gaining weight after cigs. You are here now with all these good people. You are not out there with no support system. You can lose weight after quitting. It is all in our mind. Finding that self control and making time for yourself. Telling yourself that you are worth so much more than that cigarette, that bowl of ice cream wanting to take it's place.....
  • GamerGirly
    GamerGirly Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    When I started my weight loss journey it was a very slow process. My weight and smoking prevented me from doing a whole lot. I started out walking on the treadmill. I pushed myself to go 20 minutes at a slow pace. (2.5) I could taste blood (so it seemed) in my mouth. I panted and whined for weeks. I was so out of shape it was awful. I got to where walking 20 minutes was no longer as much of a struggle as before (about a month in to the regimen) So I decided to intermittently throw in some jogging. As expected.. back to panting and taste of blood. It was awful.

I dawned on me that.. I didn't want to have to stop running or stop walking because I couldn't breath. I wanted to stop when my body was screaming at me. I was always physically active growing up. I knew my limits. I thought.. 20 mins? Are you freaking kidding me? I knew I had to quit smoking. I wanted to quit smoking.. I WANTED TO BE ABLE TO RUN!! I wanted to feel pain in my body. Not the feeling of my lungs trying to collapse. Nor feeling dizzy after walking/running. It was frustrating.

Side Note: I am the type of person who analyzes EVERYTHING!

So, I decided to try the patches. I tried them for 2-3 days.. But, I didn't have any cravings. I wanted to quit. I wanted to run. I wanted to spend $200 a month on clothes or workout equipment. I didn't WANT or NEED to smoke. So, the patch, to me was, merely a crutch of a habit that I had no desire to EVER return to. Screw the patch!! I don't need a crutch!

I haven't smoked since.

I quit April 29th. 2013

I now can run a mile in 10 minutes (Not the best time BUT..... My body SCREAMS at me!!)

I have had tendonitis, it sucked.. But, I still ran even though it hurt (On the days I wasn't limping)

Set your goals..

Above all... You have to WANT to quit.

Add me if you would like. :)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I tried a couple of weeks ago. Made it 2 days and then caved. It sucks! I just finished my workout and after I log it, I head right outside for a smoke.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I literally quit smoking cold turkey, after smoking since I was 13 years old, 10 days before starting mfp. I've lost 50 lbs, I can run, I can hike, i can swim for miles and I'M NOT OUT OF BREATHE!! ( and I've lost 50 lbs...)

I think the times where I would really crave a cigarette are when I've had a really big meal ( which I don't really have now, since I eat regular portions) or when I'm stressed/mad. That one is harder but I think about how badly it would affect my workouts and it just passes.
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in 2007. Anticipating the weight gain thing, I started going to the gym and "dieting". I figured if I was gonna be miserable I would do it all at once. Cold turkey all the way.

I did gain all the weight back plus more but that was because of having a kid, and of course, why I'm here now. :laugh:
  • jojo37696
    jojo37696 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I smoked for over 45 yrs. Quit 16 months ago now by using laser treatment. Gained 10 lbs but I don't care. I no longer am wheezing.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I quit smoking a couple years ago and i did not gain weight but the opposite. I think because i was so thrilled to quit that i wanted to do things i never could before (like running - doing my first half marathon in october!)

I used the patch and would recommend it to anyone. It really takes the edge off. It is still hard but if you really, really want to quit you can do it.

Some small things that helped me...take deep breaths when you are craving one. Slow deep breaths, at least 3 of them, go for a walk, keep active, try to stay away from activities where you used to really smoke a lot, do 10 pushups, suck on hard candy.

Even if you gain weight you are still healthier than if you are still smoking. And after you can concentrate on losing weight. One victory at a time!

You can do it!
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I was a smoker for 10 years. I quit for a while in 2009 but started up again in 2010. For me, I was incredibly guilty, I hid it from my husband for a while, I lied, I swapped money around, I used credit cards to buy ciggies, it put strain on my marriage(husband was v. Upset and wouldnt trust me once he discovered what was going on, completely understandable) it was absolutely ridiculous behaviour for a 28yo. I went for counselling in sept 2012, to help with other issues, but ended up resolving that the smoking was what made me most unhappy . It had basically got to the point of smoking, or my husband.

6 months later, after regaining a lot of confidence and deciding I wanted to get fit without having trouble breathing. (Which is what exercise had been like before). I was determined to stop. I went on Champix. People told me id become suicidal etc etc. I was ready to stop, ciggies started having no 'high' of nicotine, I may as well have been smoking a twig....... and the worst that happened to me was feeling nauseous for half an hour after taking it, and havin mad crazy vivid dreams for about 3 weeks.

It completely took the physical craving away and within a week, I didnt really think about smoking, and if I did, it was easily dismissed. After a few weeks, the only time id think about it was when my husband would ask how the cravings were going.

That was 6 months ago, I can hang out with my friends (all smokers) and not want to smoke...it does stink though... the only time im tempted is after a few too many drinks, even then I can just avoid it by turning away and within 2 minutes ive forgotten again.

Its possible, but you really have to want it. I wont ever go back to it, im having too much fun pushing my body to its limits and you cant do that as a smoker. I can get my heart rate down a lot faster now, and I never feel breathless.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I was getting my teeth cleaned and had some gum bleeding issues. My hygienist called in my Dentist who examined my gums and asked me if I smoked which of course I did, one to two packs a day back then.

He came back with a demonstration on dental implants and explained how to me how the procedure would work as my teeth began to fall out. I was stunned and asked him if he was joking. he wasn't. He told me that if I wanted my teeth I could keep them but if I wanted cigarettes instead then I'd end up swapping out my real teeth for these. About $4000 per tooth. so my mouth was now about a $150K proposition and the cigarettes were REAL expensive. My father lost his teeth to smoking.

Look in the mirror and imagine yourself without teeth.

I quit. used grapefruit juice when I had a craving. it worked. not sure what it is in grapefruits but it apparently hits some neural receptor in a way that appears like nicotine. they have lots of stuff now for that.

by all means quit today, it's simply a decision that you make. and it's a good habit to be a person who makes decisions.

Decide.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have quit tobacco but my partner still smokes. I used an e-cigg to break the cravings but I don't like all the chemicals in those things. So, I started rolling my own all herbal cigarettes to have on occasions like a night at the pub. I use a base of chamomile and other tea herbs. It smells way better than ciggs, and no addictive tobacco.
  • Nikusz
    Nikusz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I quit nearly 2 years ago. I was afraid of gaining weight too so I googled a bit and found MFP. First week I felt nauseated every time I ate something but later on I started feeling hungry. I used Nicorette inhalers, as it not only helped for nicotine cravings but having something in my mouth stopped me from eating all the time.To have less time for smoking in the morning I started exercising. I upped my cardio. I logged everything. I went out for a cigarette break with friends, taking just my apple and water, so as not to feel left out from social life at work (this is hard though, but if the smoking friends are supportive and you're determined, it can be done). At the beginning I felt irritated and sad all the time, and wanted to snatch cigs from passers by, but the time between cravings got a bit longer, and then again a bit longer, and one day I discovered that I am not thinking 'I want a cigarette now' but 'I used to want a cigarette in this situation' and then stopped thinking about it completely. lost 4kg in first 6 months after quitting.
    So good luck, you can quit and lose weight at the same time.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm a smoker but I honestly rarely get cravings. I stopped for 2 years before starting again last year when things went a little awry in my life. My mother blames her weight gain on quitting but that's not what caused it, eating/drinking too much has done that. I now smoke 2-6 rollies a day in the evenings after work. My smoking has no relevance to what I weigh - but my calorie intake does. From a cardio perspective smoking less definitely makes exercising (and therefore calories out) easier, but I won't lose sleep over the fact I smoke. I do appreciate that I'm a minority case for not getting physical cravings, not even when I was on 20 a day :)