Eating calories back

I know this was discussed before, but couldn't find an answer.
I'm a beginner here. Meaning, I've been fighting my weight since I remember my self, but I'm taking it seriously now (hopefully not too late).
Anyway, installed the MFP app, signed to a gym, going 3-4 time a week.
Now for the question -
The MFP suggests a 1500 calorie plan, after entering the 3 times a week 1 hour workout. Obviously if I don't set a 3 times a week workout I have a lower target value. But if I'll go with the eating back the burned calories, I'm "counting" them twice. Or am I wrong? Example:

If with this plan I have a 1500 calories target. I go to the gym and burn 500 I can eat 2000.
If I would set that I don't do exercise at all I would get a 1200 calories target. I go to the gym an burn 500 calories, now I can eat 1700.
Same me, same exercise, what's right?
Should I eat back only the added exercise I do? On top of the planned 3 times a week one?

Thanks

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    My exercise goal is set to 3x a week, but that doesn't effect my calorie goal because I have my activity level set to Sedentary.

So I guess just make sure your Activity Level is set to Sedentary, if so then yes you would log and eat back your exercise calories.

If you Activity level is set to something else and that includes all of your exercise you do during the week. You wouldn't eat your exercise calories back because it's included in your calorie goal.

I personally find it easier to set it as Sedentary and log all my exercise, because I may have a week where I'm sick and don't go to the gym, I like knowing the number I can eat without exercise to lose weight.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    MFP does not include intended exercise calories in the calculation for your calorie goal. To see what I mean, leave everything else the same and change only the amount of exercise you intend to do. The calorie goal will remain the same. That is why you are to eat them back.
  • timmyboy34243
    timmyboy34243 Posts: 1 Member
    at what point do you go back in and modify your weight to create new calorie intake #?
  • at what point do you go back in and modify your weight to create new calorie intake #?

I would do so after you lost 5 lbs
  • whitej1234
    whitej1234 Posts: 263 Member
    Probably my bad with the different calorie intake.
    I set it to Sedentary too.
    So just logging everything and make sure I end up on 0 NET at the end?
    Happy to join you!
  • hvnlykoi
    hvnlykoi Posts: 7
    I also wonder about eating my exercise calories back I am doing p90x and running 1-2 miles out of a 5k MWF so I don't want to be sabotaging myself by eating too much I usually end up200-300 calories over the1200 net and have not lost weight
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Probably my bad with the different calorie intake.
    I set it to Sedentary too.
    So just logging everything and make sure I end up on 0 NET at the end?
    Happy to join you!

No you want your net to say what your calorie goal is? not 0.

So your net should say 1500 and your calories remaining should say 0.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    I'm a beginner here. Meaning, I've been fighting my weight since I remember my self, but I'm taking it seriously now (hopefully not too late).
    Now for the question -
    The MFP suggests a 1500 calorie plan, after entering the 3 times a week 1 hour workout. Obviously if I don't set a 3 times a week workout I have a lower target value. But if I'll go with the eating back the burned calories, I'm "counting" them twice. Or am I wrong? Example:

If with this plan I have a 1500 calories target. I go to the gym and burn 500 I can eat 2000.
    If I would set that I don't do exercise at all I would get a 1200 calories target. I go to the gym an burn 500 calories, now I can eat 1700.
    Should I eat back only the added exercise I do? On top of the planned 3 times a week one?

Thanks

DO NOT EAT IT BACK.... MFP splits up the exercise it thinks you will do evenly throughout the week.

Every exercise burns a different ammount of calories. Walking 4 miles an hour burns more than walking 3. Zumba can burn 500+ calories an hour. But it is only 2 days a week.

I have mine set to sedentary.... no exercise planned.... then I eat back my exercise calories ( or as many as I can)
    Which means on the days i do Zumba I end up burning over 1,000 calories and I can eat 2,500 calories or more....... Today my boy is sick so I'm getting no exercise.... which gives me 1495 calories for today........ big difference.

It may be easier for you to start out eating the same ammount each day.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Now for the question -

Thanks

DO NOT EAT IT BACK.... MFP splits up the exercise it thinks you will do evenly throughout the week.

No, MFP does not include exercise calories at all. As I stated above, change your intended exercise amount and only that and you will find you calorie goal does not change at all. There is not any averaging of calories over the week. That would be a TDEE minus approach.