sagging skin tips & tricks (wanted)

Options
I have once again started my weight loss journey, and I'm pretty excited about it. For some reason this time feels different. I started at 185lbs. My current weight 171lbs and my goal weight is 130-135lbs. I've been eating healthy and sticking to about 1500 calories/day. I'm also on day 7 of the 30 Day Shred (with 2 days off due to knee pain ... I really want to avoid knee surgery for as long as possible). I'm also thinking of getting back into pilates or ballet barre.

My main concern (a somewhat obsessive concern at the moment) is that I'm terrified that I'll be left with sagging skin after losing the weight. Has anyone here succeeded in losing about 50lbs? And what was your outcome in terms of skin sagging? Any tips or tricks for preventing this?

I think I'd be heartbroken to reach my goal weight but not be able to rock a bikini due to a pouchy stomach or a saggy bum!

Thanks in advance for any tips, tricks or general encouragement. :)

Replies

• cseckinger1
    Options
    Don't know how old you are, but if your fairly young, your skin will be okay. If you feel saggy when you lose all your weight, find a good plastic surgeon & he will make you look wonderful! I haven't had this surgery, but have seen good results. Whatever helps you feel better is worth the money. Just excercise & you will be surprised how the skin shrinks down w/weight loss. Good luck.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I have once again started my weight loss journey, and I'm pretty excited about it. For some reason this time feels different. I started at 185lbs. My current weight 171lbs and my goal weight is 130-135lbs. I've been eating healthy and sticking to about 1500 calories/day. I'm also on day 7 of the 30 Day Shred (with 2 days off due to knee pain ... I really want to avoid knee surgery for as long as possible). I'm also thinking of getting back into pilates or ballet barre.

My main concern (a somewhat obsessive concern at the moment) is that I'm terrified that I'll be left with sagging skin after losing the weight. Has anyone here succeeded in losing about 50lbs? And what was your outcome in terms of skin sagging? Any tips or tricks for preventing this?

I think I'd be heartbroken to reach my goal weight but not be able to rock a bikini due to a pouchy stomach or a saggy bum!

Thanks in advance for any tips, tricks or general encouragement. :)

Heavy lifting is the best fat burner around and helps a lot with avoiding the sag (while eating at a deficit). I, unfortunately, did not know that when I began and the result was saggy skin, especially in my mid-section. now I coat my tummy with vitamin E oil once a week and wrap my tummy in plastic for the night (Vitamin E is very sticky!!) and I stay hydrated, heavy lift, and apply moisturizer every day. it is working - but it would be better had I started lifting before I lost the first 50 pounds.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I started at 190 and I am down to 137-139 right now so I have lost over 50 lbs. I have a bit of sag on the sides of my back and my tummy isn't perfectly flat although you wouldn't call it saggy. I believe that with a bit more weight loss, the extra on my back and at the bottom of my tummy should pretty well go although I don't think the skin will ever be really super tight since I am in my mid fifties. The rest of me is nicely toned (I have always had slim arms). I have lost the weight over 4 years so it has been very slow going.

I hear that drinking lots of water and making sure to keep the skin moisturized helps it snap back as much as it can. I do that but I don't know if it has truly helped. Oh and it can take up to two years for skin to shrink after weight loss. I hope this helps.
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    If you lose the weight slowly, your skin will readjust. But of course that's only for so many pounds, hopefully with only fifty to go your skin will bounce back nicely.

There's also something called dry brushing you can do to tighten the skin. I use one of those long-handled brushes made to wash your back and brush my entire body before showering. It get's rid of dead skin cells and tightens the skin. Your skin feels soft and smooth after too, my husband loves it! If I don't have that brush on hand, I use exfoliating mitts. Hope this helps!
  • missy_girl001
    missy_girl001 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It's always good to know other people are on the same sort of journey and getting great results.