How do you know when you're going "too far"

Options
Almost 8 weeks ago I set my goal at 120 (weighing about 145) then. Now I am at 125, and I have lost noticeable weight everywhere-except the one place I really need to lose it from.....my waist and hips. I definitely feel like I have a lot more to lose in this area than 5 pounds, considering I am not going to stop losing from other areas also still. I have been going down in inches, slowly in my waist but not my stupid love handles and hips!

Should I be setting my goal weight lower even if that's like 115??? That number really scares me, I have never aimed to be such a low weight before but is it ok to have such a low goal weight if you're not where you wanna be appearance wise???

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If you aren't lifting, you should do that. Chasing the scale to low weights can be counter-productive.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    If you aren't lifting, you should do that. Chasing the scale to low weights can be counter-productive.

This

Start lifting.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and weigh 109....I'm now at goal weight and changed my goal to lower my body fat percentage.....and yes, I'm doing that by lifting heavy! It's already gone down a full percentage point!
  • Kai_Milla1
    Kai_Milla1 Posts: 37
    Options
    I am lifting. I do strength 4-5 times a week. I get reassessments done with a trainer at the gym and I was going down in inches everywhere at first but the last two times I got measured I gained muscle in my arms, shoulders, and thighs from the strength I do. I'm losing fat and gaining muscle in all the right places- except my hips and stomach!
  • Kai_Milla1
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and weigh 109....I'm now at goal weight and changed my goal to lower my body fat percentage.....and yes, I'm doing that by lifting heavy! It's already gone down a full percentage point!

Congrats on reaching your goal! My BMI has went from 23.7 to 21.6 (that was a week and a half ago though) what is your BMI at that weight?? I am 5'3 and a half so I would like to know!

And also, when you say lifting heavy, how much? What kind of exercises, maybe I need to step it up.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I am lifting. I do strength 4-5 times a week. I get reassessments done with a trainer at the gym and I was going down in inches everywhere at first but the last two times I got measured I gained muscle in my arms, shoulders, and thighs from the strength I do. I'm losing fat and gaining muscle in all the right places- except my hips and stomach!

Well, just keep at it. Your body is in charge of where the fat comes off and when.

How's your diet? And I don't mean "clean" or any of that. Are you still eating at a deficit?

ETA: congrats on your hard work so far!
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    A lot of people don't put any stock in BMI (rightly so), but if you asked your doctor, s/he would mostly likely say that you are an acceptably healthy weight if you are anywhere in between 105-140.

If you get down to the low end of that and you still feel unhappy, that might suggest that you are going "too far". I think you're fine.
  • babbs770
    babbs770 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I went from 190 to 165 and am happy with my weight (it put me into a normal BMI range) as soon as I hit that I realized that my baby belly has not gone away, and I had extra in all the wrong places. I started going to yoga last year and although I have not shed a pound, I look totally different. I am still not where I want to be, but exercise is the way to go when you want to "reshape" your body without losing.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    You've lost a lot of weigh in just 8 weeks...I'd be patient and give it time for your body to adjust to the changes. Keep doing what you're doing and you will probably see more changes.

I wouldn't set the scale goal much lower...just work on fitness goals now! You look great, and CONGRATULATIONS on your loss!
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Congrats on reaching your goal! My BMI has went from 23.7 to 21.6 (that was a week and a half ago though) what is your BMI at that weight?? I am 5'3 and a half so I would like to know!

And also, when you say lifting heavy, how much? What kind of exercises, maybe I need to step it up.

You can check any height/weight combo for BMI on here:

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm

The actual formula (in case you're interested) is just:

(mass) / ((height)^2)

with the mass in kg and height in meters. This is why a lot of people think it's bunk. There's nothing really scientific about it - you're just dividing your weight by height. It doesn't account for frame or body fat or anything else. I still think it's a decent ball-park sort of "measurement" to keep in mind, but that's me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

boom!!!

Boom.gif
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    For what its worth you look amazing! Just keep liftin! Sometimes it takes awhile for those muscles to reshape your body.
  • Kai_Milla1
    Options
    For what its worth you look amazing! Just keep liftin! Sometimes it takes awhile for those muscles to reshape your body.

Thanks a lot :) Any idea how much I should be lifting? I guess it's time to step my game up.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options

I think my BMI is around 19.1, but I never track that since they don't show the whole picture?

I'm doing chest flys, deadlifts, weighted squats (lots and lots and lots of weighted squats!), lunges, shoulder presses, bench presses, front lifts, curls, swing overs for the triceps....you can name it and I'm prolly doing it! By "heavy" I meant that I'm struggling to finish the last rep or two when there's only 8 reps total and two or three sets.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Almost 8 weeks ago I set my goal at 120 (weighing about 145) then. Now I am at 125, and I have lost noticeable weight everywhere-except the one place I really need to lose it from.....my waist and hips. I definitely feel like I have a lot more to lose in this area than 5 pounds, considering I am not going to stop losing from other areas also still. I have been going down in inches, slowly in my waist but not my stupid love handles and hips!

Should I be setting my goal weight lower even if that's like 115??? That number really scares me, I have never aimed to be such a low weight before but is it ok to have such a low goal weight if you're not where you wanna be appearance wise???

I'm having the same thoughts. I'm at 122, my original goal weight was 120, but I also still have fat I want gone on mostly my hips, but right in the middle of my stomach, too. So frustrating! But I figure if I'm losing weight slowly, eating enough, feeling good & lifting it's not a big deal to lower my goal weight. Thinking of dropping it to 117.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

Really. I am not an exerciser or lifter. But I hit the weight I wanted and there's still a little fat in my gut - and only there. I just need to exercise and it really is helping.

I am not lifting (yet) but I'm walking FAST and also swimming and jogging in the pool which really works those abs hard. It looks much better. And it's the only place where I have fat left to lose, so that's where it's coming from.

Old fat leaves last.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I dropped quickly to my goal weight of 125 but still had my trouble areas (tummy/love handles). I started lifting heavier and have seen the area tightening up albeit slowly. At the same time I upped my calories (to find a good maintenance level), but started fluctuating between 125-130 which was stressing me out. I know that fluctuations are normal but the scale was driving me crazy. At At this point I'm weighing myself much less frequently and going more by body measurements and what I see in the mirror. I know that I could spare to lose a couple more pounds to lose in my waist so I have dropped back down to a bit of a calorie deficit to get to 120 or so and plan on increasing the weight I'm lifting. BTW I'm 5'6".

I guess what I'm saying is maybe not focus so much on the scale number but try and switch up the intensity of yourexercise routine and lift more.
  • NicoleDavis1977
    NicoleDavis1977 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Great job. I am about 145 and want to get to 125. I had always been around 125 and in the last few years I put on some lbs:-( Lost all the baby weight in 2011 and then put some back on boo!
    What did you do to drop so quickly? I exercise alot as well just keep eating junk.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options

If you can get to that weight eating healthy (aka a good amount of calories) and taking care of your mind and body, then it's not too far. 115 is my goal too. I am also 125 and not happy yet, but it's because my body fat % is still a bit high and I have a small frame! I know that I can lose 10 more pounds in a healthy way so I don't think it's too far. I really don't care about the # on the scale though, it's about how I look and feel but I think that I'll look and feel better 10 pounds lighter!

Height can be a factor too, I'm 5'6" and I know a lot of people are happier at a weight higher than 115 at my height but it depends on your body type!