New to MFP

Options
Hi! I am excited to be here and am looking for support and motivation. Any suggestions or pointers on how to best utilize MFP would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Bambalina_1
    Bambalina_1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi ya and welcome ????
  • nhenryoliver
    nhenryoliver Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm pretty new on here myself. Finding that thr app for logging as i go throughout the day helps. Stops me from not being honest!
  • Begaye1
    Begaye1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new also..I tried it several months ago and completely fell off the wagon so to speak..I'm giving it another shot and I am really struggling some days..I think I am looking for the quick weight loss and it's not working , especially with me being diabetic..Any suggestions would be great appreciated..Thanks!
  • KardioKim
    KardioKim Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. Add me!

Best advice: be honest and don't guess. Measure or weigh things to ensure accuracy.
  • CatFishQ
    CatFishQ Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey, Welcome :)

I just started using myfitnesspal again today after using it a year or two ago.

The best things that worked for me last time were:

>If you're able to, get the mobile app - It makes it really easy to log everything, especially with the bar code scanner!

>Whenever I used to add things, I wouldn't just go by what the app or site told me, like the calorie content of..a slice of bread say. I always try to compare it to the exact item or brand of food I'm having. In time you start to see the similarities and difference between the same foods of different brands etc... and soon you'l be adding things without needing to double check!

>Invest in a set of food scales! I used to just try and guess how much a particular item weighed, or try and find one that I could measure and input in "cups", but most things on here tend to be measured in g/kg/ltr etc...

>I haven't done this one yet, but it's the next thing on my to do list - Invest in a heart rate monitor watch :) I found that some of the things in the exercise section were a little hit and miss (as it varies from person to person from age, gender, height, weight etc...) So I'f I went walking, id use a pedometer app on my phone to track my steps and estimated calories burned etc... One app I use in particular lets you input your age, height, weight etc... to make it a bit more accurate. Like I said I've been advised to get a watch with a heart rate monitor built in to make it even more accurate.

>And finally, be honest! If you've had a little bit more or less or something than you wanted/ needed, log it!

I hope any of that helps, that's what I used to / will be doing now I've started using myfitnesspal again :)

Good Luck! :)
  • pacsqueen
    pacsqueen Posts: 88
    Options
    Hi There! Welcome! I love MFP and i think you will too! Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like.

I find that it is best to over estimate food if i'm unsure if the calorie amount is correct in MFP. I like using the barcode feature because it is usually accurate to the label (at least thats what i find). I also try to underestimate (if needed) my exercise so i dont lull myself into a false sense of security in my caloric intake and my exercise. So far, it seems to be working!
  • ajroberts11
    ajroberts11 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Best advice: be honest and don't guess. Measure or weigh things to ensure accuracy.

^^This is important!

Also, decide whether you're more accountable when you:
    A) Enter your meals for the entire day in the morning, and then stick to what you planned throughout the day,
    OR
    B) Log your food as you eat throughout the day.

I use the first method, to make sure my calories are spread throughout the day, and that I'm not inadvertently left with 100 calories for dinner, or something crazy! But... different methods work for different people. Only you can say what fits your personality.

Also, MOVE MORE. I can stick to a diet beautifully, but I will barely lose weight or I'll just maintain my weight. But once I add movement and exercise, that's when I see progress. A simple thing that I do that helps is to use my morning and afternoon "coffee breaks" at work to go for a quick walk. 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the afternoon. There are about four of us that go together, so we keep each other accountable, and it makes it fun because we're not allowed to talk about work!

Also, if I do decide I need to do additional exercise on any given day, I don't have as much to do because I already walked at a brisk pace for 30 minutes that day!

Best of luck!
  • Begaye1
    Begaye1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for the ideas! I am going to buy a scale and measure and weigh everything I can..I started using the barcode on my phone app which really helps a lot...Thanks again!