I cannot BELIEVE IT! - NSV 5K!

Options
jenhanke
jenhanke Posts: 24 Member
When my sister asked me & my mom to run a 5K with her, we both immediately said yes, and then immediately were terrified. I've spent the last month being so scared that I wouldn't finish, or so scared that I'd roll an ankle along the way... but I DID IT! My goal was to finish in 1 hour (it's 3.1 miles, and I weigh 270 lbs, so I didn't expect to fly through it by any means) and I finished in 45:33!!! I ran the first mile without stopping, and ran/walked the rest. There was definitely a point in the race where I thought "I'm not going to be able to finish this. This is awful. Why am I doing this?!" And then I remembered that my body will do ANYTHING I tell it to do! Unless I fainted, I was going to finish that race -- AND I DID!!!

If I can do it, anybody can. My mom is 51 years old with a knee problem, and she slapped on a knee brace and did it too. We trained together, running every day, but never more than a mile at a time, so we weren't sure how this would go. Truth is -- it just GOES!

I hope my picture shows up, never posted one before... Thanks for reading, and if you're thinking about doing a 5K, DO IT! YOU CAN!!!

1017670_10151495412632944_1770517040_n.jpg

Replies

• LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Well done!
  • ERBred
    ERBred Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Way to go! You and your Mom should be very proud of yourselves! Keep it up. I think it is a Great, great, great accomplishment!
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    woo hoo!! great job!
  • chickadee1166
    chickadee1166 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!!! well done you! :smile:
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!!
    My first one is in 3 weeks, and I'm scared to death :)
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!! We did one this morning but walked all the way. Congrats to you on running/walking!!!!
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    How incredibly awesome!!! You GO girl!!! Big congrats to Mom too!!! :-)
  • KardioKim
    KardioKim Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    That's so inspiring! That's the way to bring it.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Yay!! Congratulations!!
  • lorettasnewbeginning
    Options
    Way to go! That's a great accomplishment and I hope it makes you hungry to do more! And how awesome that you are doing it as a family!
  • NinerUp
    NinerUp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    great job!
  • Nancymcgregor
    Nancymcgregor Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    That's great well done!
  • pacsqueen
    pacsqueen Posts: 88
    Options
    Thank you so much for your inspiration! I joined MFP about 6 weeks ago and went from a die-hard couch potato to walking. I am actually really enjoying walking and want to try running but i am scared that i wont be able to handle it with my weight and keep thinking i need to lose more before i try running.

You have inspired me! I am just going to try! If i run 20 feet and walk the rest, at least i tried. Maybe i can do more each day.

Thanks so much! Youve made my day!! :o)
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Nicely done. I'm still walking them, but my time drops a minute each one. I need to get back into C25k training.
  • JayStu
    JayStu Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

It gives me inspiration that I will be able to run one soon. Maybe even the color run at the end of next month in Ottawa.
  • ajroberts11
    ajroberts11 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! This is a WONDERFUL NSV for you and your mom! Thank you for sharing!
  • theruby
    theruby Posts: 36
    Options
    Congrats on your wonderful accomplishment!
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! !! That's awesome. Be careful. Running is addicting.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    That' so awesome!! I'm so happy for you!
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    INSPIRING!!! :):)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!