THE MYTH OF MOTIVATION (AND WHAT YOU NEED INSTEAD)

Options

Replies

• sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Great post... think I'm due for a name change!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Fabricated motivation is not sustainable and only provides short term gains. You can’t function in an Army basic training type of environment indefinitely. The harsh motivation from drill sergeants only serves to ingrain discipline as quickly and efficiently as possible. Once basic training is in the rearview mirror, that discipline remains.

Fitness is about taking your motivation and using it to discover the discipline of healthy lifestyle habits like eating right and exercising. Once you get in that routine, the benefits of being healthy should be the only motivation necessary to continue!
  • Healthy67Chick
    Healthy67Chick Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    WOW! Loved the article! Thanks for posting it here on MFP.
  • jrmc83
    jrmc83 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this.
  • Lynzigzagzay
    Lynzigzagzay Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Really good article/
  • balancenow
    Options
    Love this. So true.
  • jojo86xdd
    jojo86xdd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    So damn true. this is getting reposted
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,906 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Fabulous, thank you.
  • ERMOT
    ERMOT Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Discipline and habit. Perfectly put.

If I was going to make my kids be disciplined and get in the habit of eating broccoli, then I had to be disciplined too. And I'm glad we are.
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Interesting view.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I think this is my favorite MFP post so far! Thank you for serving our country :flowerforyou: :drinker:

bump

yeah, i didn't write this, and with the exception of four years of NROTC, i have not served in the armed forces, but i have many friends that have.

i'm just a little tired of seeing people on MFP asking for others to "motivate" them. what they need is discipline.

If someone asks me to discipline them - I may have misunderstood the purpose of this sight. Shouldn't there be some over 18 warning when you log on? LOL

Anyway, loved the post - makes you think. Also, puts things in perspective. I've been to hell and back in my life - and sometimes when something seems hard I think of one of those hell moments and BAM, there's perspective again. Then the hard things seem not so hard again. Thanks for the post!
  • selanrael
    selanrael Posts: 32
    Options
    Great post, I totally agree!
  • tc41586
    tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    wow.
  • YamRector
    YamRector Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nmfsc
    nmfsc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Incredible post and very timely for me. Thank you.
  • Vivaciousfemale
    Vivaciousfemale Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I needed this so much today.. I logged on in hopes of reading something that would kick my *kitten* into gear once again and I am so happy i came across this post. There is no denying the truth here. Thanks for sharing!

:)
  • cineshome
    cineshome Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Excellent post. Thank you.
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    bump